Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 8:29:36 PM EDT
I've been watching these guys the past few days:  

Live on Patrol

I guess I've just led a sheltered life.  In a decent sized city, (they're in St. Paul) is there really a new stolen car almost every shift?  Holy shit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
2-3 a day here on average.  Slightly smaller city.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Live on Patrol

I guess I've just led a sheltered life.  In a decent sized city, (they're in St. Paul) is there really a new stolen car almost every shift?  Holy shit.
View Quote

Dear Lord yes. Even in a smaller town.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
People don't think crime in the cities be like it is, but it do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Anything to do besides keep them in the garage?

I see lots of newer, high end stolen cars that must have been taken by repeater attack or something.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely.

Especially this time of year. People leave them to warm up and someone walking to school or the bus stop etc jump in for a quick ride to their destination then ditch it.

Cleveland for example averages about 9 stolen vehicles a day, which seems super low for a city its size

Other cities more. But there’s a lot in any decent sized city

Uumv are much more common and happen multiple times a shift
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Legit Stolen?  1 every 3-5 days.  My cars stolen, meaning I traded it for dope, or lent it out to go get dope and it hasn’t been return.  Much more frequent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
In the southern California Toyota 4x4, Jeep and offroad groups there are at least 2-3 stolen trucks reported via social media every day.

Most are stolen from out in front of homes overnight, occasionally one from a workplace but mostly at home.

If you have a garage, keep your car/truck in it. I have only seen 1-2 thefts where they broke into a home garage to steal a truck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Legit Stolen?  1 every 3-5 days.  My cars stolen, meaning I traded it for dope, or lent it out to go get dope and it hasn’t been return.  Much more frequent.
View Quote

Tweeker taxis are indeed a thing as is tweekers taxing other tweekers for their car for outstanding drug debts.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#10]
OP,
It wouldn't really be as much of an issue,  except for all those fucking idiots that can't be bothered to lock their doors or not leave their keys/guns/electronics etc in their cars.

It's all so tiresome...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Live on Patrol

View Quote

40 years ago, in Detroit, we had a full page of stolen car plates handed out on a shift. (This was way before computers. lol)

Columns and columns of tags.

Yeah, like most people, you have no idea the amount of crime going on around you.   Be aware of your surroundings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP,
It wouldn't really be as much of an issue,  except for all those fucking idiots that can't be bothered to lock their doors or not leave their keys/guns/electronics etc in their cars.

It's all so tiresome...
View Quote

I'm in a small town in middle America.  The local police finally had to ask via the local news, please stop leaving firearms in your unlocked vehicles.  Some people, I swear.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#13]
We had to work with NOPD after Katrina and it was at least 1 a day from Orleans and surrounding parishes(counties).  Shit loads of insurance fraud and the scrap places with car crushers were responsible for most of the stolen trucks.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Didn’t we have an Arfcomer in the Pacific NW who had his car stolen on several occasions from his driveway?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
OP,

It's all so tiresome...
View Quote

If it wasn’t for dickheads like them there wouldn’t be any thievery in this world.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#17]
In Memphis stolen and Carjacked Vehicle Broadcast are constant sometimes 3,4 in one broadcast. 9 Precincts but all are rebroadcasted city wide.

Eta- approx 3500 last year. That's about 10 a day
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#19]
how do they steal cars without the keys?
Thought you couldn't hot-wire a new car?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Had a co-workers marked unit stolen from a strip club parking lot in north houston a few years back.

To answer your question, cars are stolen often, all day, and every day.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its January.

I give it 10:1 its sitting there running.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm in a small town in middle America.  The local police finally had to ask via the local news, please stop leaving firearms in your unlocked vehicles.  Some people, I swear.  
View Quote

St Paul's, NC

or
RALEIGH, NC

I saw that too

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:31:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't think you could steal a new car with out keys or key fob.
If left in car they should be charged for recovery.
That's just plain stupid
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, mostly Hondas stolen by Asians and meth heads (honestly). ETA: assuming St. Paul, MN
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Had a co-workers marked unit stolen from a strip club parking lot in north houston a few years back.

To answer your question, cars are stolen often, all day, and every day.

View Quote
Uhh, backstory?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Its January.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its January.

thats borrowing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Its January.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its January.

Or they leave it in front of the house/driveway unlocked with keys in the cupholder
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Fobs broadcast a signal every few seconds that can be received up to 600 ft away they clone the fob and drive away.

#343 My Truck was stolen! This could stop it from happening to you. 6 month review.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I really should have tried to get picture of the NA license plates on cars I saw driving around in Afghanistan.

It likely would have closed out some stolen car reports.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#32]
I'd be surprised if there was only one. that's called a slow night.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep don’t forget the Project rentals.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#34]
In big cities like NYC/DC guys turn off their plate readers or they would do nothing else for an entire shift
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep don’t forget the Project rentals.
View Quote

EAN Holdings.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#36]
In two years of living in Tulsa, I had two cars stolen...

A nurse I worked with had a secret switch installed in her van after it got stolen (and recovered).

Tulsa is a fucking shithole.

I installed a secret switch too, after the second one was stolen...

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I worked a fairly small area in California, we had about 5-10 a day in our area. Its way more common than you'd imagine. Hell for a long time there the late 90's early 2000's Hondas could be stolen with the end of a metal rake tine slightly modified into a "dipper". During that time we ran nearly every Honda we came across because they could be jacked with no damage to the lock or ignition in under a minute. Figured we had 40-50 a week in the mid 2000's, newer cars are a bit tougher to steal. I still think one of the best calls I ever had was three cars full of rival gangsters all ran the same stop sign at the same time and crashed, a fight ensued and when we showed up they all took off on foot. Turned out all three Hondas were stolen. Had one other call where guys were stealing cars for about 4 hours racing them down the road and crashing them then going and stealing another. Someone finally called it in when they stole his car, all said and done I think we took 16 reports that night in that single incident.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Live on Patrol

View Quote
It's not car theft - it's transportation reallocation..........Lefties say so, therefore it must be true!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:59:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Live on Patrol

View Quote

Albuquerque averages 17 or more per day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#40]
We have at least a few per day.  Some days, the same crew will steal multiple cars. They steal one, then use it to steal another, and so on.  I don't have the numbers off-hand, but 2020 was one of the  worst years in a while.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top