Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2022 2:06:23 PM EDT
North of McKinney Tx about 4 miles up on FM 2933.  Apparently happened last Friday, but I didn’t know when I stopped to check Sunday.  Apparently no injuries and a single occupant.  Tragic loss of an iconic aircraft and very curious/ strange crash site.  Aircraft is pointed west and couple hundred yards from the north/south grass strip.  I couldn’t find any scratch marks in the field, it’s like it was just dropped there.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No flaps?   Wheel landing gone nose in maybe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#2]

I watched a Lance with a stuck landing gear stall it in just short of the runway into a soybean field. He was  less than 100’ and decided to kill the engine to try and save some $$. Didn’t work out well for him. When I flew over the crash site the next day he had come to a stop in the distance of one wingspan.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#3]
In the endless battle between the Earth and aluminum, the Earth has yet to lose.  Look at cars that hit trees and telephone poles.....it will be a scratch on the wood a lot of bent steel.  Nature is amazing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:43:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No flaps?   Wheel landing gone nose in maybe.
View Quote

I use full flaps for wheel landings.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I watched a Lance with a stuck landing gear stall it in just short of the runway into a soybean field. He was  less than 100’ and decided to kill the engine to try and save some $$. Didn’t work out well for him. When I flew over the crash site the next day he had come to a stop in the distance of one wingspan.
View Quote

It never ceases to amaze me how idiotic some people are...save a few bucks lol.  The difference between the zero and hero in these situations is a fine line.  Number 1 goal is getting everyone on the ground alive and in good health, everything else is a bonus.  Don't fuck up the first thing trying to get the bonus stuff.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It never ceases to amaze me how idiotic some people are...save a few bucks lol.  The difference between the zero and hero in these situations is a fine line.  Number 1 goal is getting everyone on the ground alive and in good health, everything else is a bonus.  Don't fuck up the first thing trying to get the bonus stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of the problem is that at least some gear issues are caused by having previously rejected a recommendation that some work be done on the retraction system (told that it's not yet to the point of being unairworthy, but it's getting there), because they wanted to save some money on an inspection.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

At least it was discernible what he was trying to do.  This just doesn’t make any sense.  Not in landing configuration.  No where near the runway nor oriented in the right direction.  No skid marks.  Granted it doesn’t mean the plane didn’t ground loop, but I couldn’t find where it did.

Does the prop look to have been spinning on impact?  I would say yes.

I’m not a pilot, just a mild enthusiast.  The only thing that makes sense to me (who knows nothing) is it lost power and the pilot stalled it just before the landing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Ratchet strap is interesting.

No prop strike marks at all huh?
Could be under the fuselage.

ETA: N5292G
See flight aware data and flight path here.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

At least it was discernible what he was trying to do.  This just doesn’t make any sense.  Not in landing configuration.  No where near the runway nor oriented in the right direction.  No skid marks.  Granted it doesn’t mean the plane didn’t ground loop, but I couldn’t find where it did.

I’m not a pilot, just a mild enthusiast.  The only thing that makes sense to me (who knows nothing) is it lost power and the pilot stalled it just before the landing.
View Quote

Yes. But the engine wasn’t making power.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Is that the same model aircraft that was landed on a carrier from a Vietnam guy? Or do I have my history mixed up?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The two sets of bolts in the last picture drive me nuts. I would not have signed off on those safeties.
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is that the same model aircraft that was landed on a carrier from a Vietnam guy? Or do I have my history mixed up?
View Quote

That happened.  You are correct.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks to me like the prop wasn't swinging well.  Like the engine wasn't making power  or very little of it.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Looks to me like the prop wasn't swinging well.  Like the engine wasn't making power  or very little of it.

View Quote

Okay thanks.  That explains a lot actually.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would explain a lot.  I really appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Loss?  Looks repairable to me.  Replace the right gear strut, engine teardown and inspect, new prop, maybe some light sheet metal work on the right wingtip and she'll be flying again.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
This one is a heartbreaker
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Loss?  Looks repairable to me.  Replace the right gear strut, engine teardown and inspect, new prop, maybe some light sheet metal work on the right wingtip and she'll be flying again.
View Quote

Need to carefully go over the firewall and engine mount to check for any indications of damage, along with the wing spars, wing attach points, wing struts, and the structure near the damaged gear leg.  It may in fact be relatively easy to repair the airframe, but 'hidden damage' can quickly complicate things, when you start noticing new wrinkles and straight parts that are no longer straight.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Several things are noteworthy from the photos, but this is not meant to be an accurate accident sequence, only things that stand out.

The broken engine mounts, right wing damage, cockpit twisted off to the right side, and the collapsed right gear coupled with the lack of tracks on the ground should make a good investigator look elsewhere for the first point of contact (perhaps trees near by?). It looks like the aircraft may have struck the ground as it entered a very low altitude stall/spin.

The prop damage is consistent with a prop on trees/crops/grass contact.

Not seeing any crime scene tape, or other indications of an official response would also lead me to consider the possibility that the pilot/passengers left the scene after the crash, perhaps to hide the cause of the accident. That's is impossible to know based on the available photographic evidence in this thread.

The ratchet straps appear to show that the airplane has been secured post crash.

If I we're the investigating officer/FAA. One of the things I would do is process it like a crime scene for fingerprints/DNA samples/other evidence of criminal activity.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Several things are noteworthy from the photos, but this is not meant to be an accurate accident sequence, only things that stand out.

The broken engine mounts, right wing damage, cockpit twisted off to the right side, and the collapsed right gear coupled with the lack of tracks on the ground should make a good investigator look elsewhere for the first point of contact (perhaps trees near by?). It looks like the aircraft may have struck the ground as it entered a very low altitude stall/spin.

The prop damage is consistent with a prop on trees/crops/grass contact.

Not seeing any crime scene tape, or other indications of an official response would also lead me to consider the possibility that the pilot/passengers left the scene after the crash, perhaps to hide the cause of the accident. That's is impossible to know based on the available photographic evidence in this thread.

The ratchet straps appear to show that the airplane has been secured post crash.

If I we're the investigating officer/FAA. One of the things I would do is process it like a crime scene for fingerprints/DNA samples/other evidence of criminal activity.
View Quote

Yeah,it's pretty obvious the plane was flying drugs or illegals so they had to unass the area.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
The person was trying to land on the "road" behind the picture.  Right wing dipped and they did a bounce/ cork screw.  Did a full flip over, landing in the field.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 6:26:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The person was trying to land on the "road" behind the picture.  Right wing dipped and they did a bounce/ cork screw.  Did a full flip over, landing in the field.
View Quote

Landing TS63, private strip.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top