Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2022 7:27:53 PM EDT
As a newbie, and building up my woodworking tools to start making things.

I have a 2.5 hp Dewalt router, but no table.

Lowes has the Kreg  precision table top router table for $275. If you purchase by the 27th, you get the kreg  true-flex featherboard twin set for free ($40.00).

Is this table worth it? If no what table would you recommend?
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. It has some annoying things about it that I've learned to work around for now.

The locking mechanism for the fence is probably the worst feature. When you lock down the fence, it's going to move a bit. So you have to be aware and sneak up on a cutter with a bearing so it comes out right.

Secondly, it doesn't have a good scheme for dust collection which is essential. I built a box that hangs off the bottom and attached a hose to the fence and a hose to the box, but the box still fills up with debris.

The one thing that really makes it good though is the Precision Lift. Once you're doing any parts that need to fit together, the ability to adjust to the 128th or 64th becomes really important.

I don't have a good recommendation for something else since I can mostly make this one work, but you might want to shop around with a focus on precision adjustment and dust collection.
Link Posted: 7/26/2022 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not think this one comes with the precision adjustable height/depth lift.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2022 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be more inclined to build one at that price point.

A lower end router table is is just an MDF top with a router plate and a fence. The fence doesnt have to be anything fancy either, it could be store made, or an aluminum extrusion, or some t track laid into a piece of plywood. The fence on that Kreg is really just some mdf or similar on a thin metal backing with aluminum extrusion up top.

The other thing is an open design like that spews dust everywhere even with decent collection. An enclosed design like the cabinet style bosch won't. I have a rockler rolling table and I didn't pay a lot for it, but I wheel it to where it won't make a mess when I use it.

If you do buy the kreg I'd enclose the base and add a dust collection port. Doing batch jobs on a router table makes a big mess fast.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 12:14:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I had one.  It was "ok."

As mentioned the fence was probably the suckiest part.  Fine adjustments are basically impossible.

Save your money and buy a Jessem if you want a prebuilt table.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Since we’re here, what do y’all think of the Bosch RA1181?

I have an old Bosch, I think 3hp router, very lightly used, that I’d mount in it. From what I see online, the DW618 I have been using is a nice tool, but will not hold up to being inverted and table mounted. I also don’t want to have to dis/mount the dang thing constantly. Just sounds like a PITA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:38:41 AM EDT
[#6]
None of the tabletop ones are adequate in my opinion. They aren’t nearly heavy enough to do anything with precision. A Jessem or Incra is worth the investment
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of the tabletop ones are adequate in my opinion. They aren’t nearly heavy enough to do anything with precision. A Jessem or Incra is worth the investment
View Quote

Not heavy in that they vibrate from the tool running and feeding a part, or that they flex too much being built light enough to actually put on the bench? Or both?

I was thinking about that Bosch, and if not OEM, put hefty rubber feet on it. Use it on top of my table saw, which is pretty dang solid (Ridgid 10”). If I had to bolt it to some boards or angle so I could clamp them to the saw, then so be it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 8:48:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The mass is only part of it. The lighter tables flex and the adjustments aren’t smooth. It’s very similar to the differences between a good, cast iron table saw VS a lightweight aluminum model. Both function but if you want precise cuts you need the former.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one with a 3-1/4 horse Porter Cable in a PRL V2 lift. It was a great set up but the lift and motor really stretched the concept of "portable".
I ended up pulling the router and lift and putting it in a Kreg full size Precision Router Table. Now I did have a little issue with the fence moving at first, but I've since adjusted it out.

I put the benchtop table on Facebook Marketplace and sold it that day.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top