Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Not on the list, but I say Wrestling.

I love BJJ and train almost daily, however, as a grappling base, I think folkstyle wrestling may be better, especially for kids.

First and foremost, when you’re young, you can recover quickly from the intensity of a tough wrestling practice. The cardio and strength you get from wrestling is superior to most BJJ. Anyone who grapples at a high level knows that a strong high school wrestler (or college) can bring a strength and intensity that is hard to replicate in BJJ. It’s a nightmare to deal with.

Also, BJJ’s greatest seeming weakness is in the realm of bringing the fight to the ground. If you start with that skill set in wrestling and add the body awareness that comes with it, transferring those skills to BJJ is easy. A solid wrestler with a year of BJJ feels like a purple belt.

Lastly, he’ll have the ability to participate in school sports. It may not be important now, but in HS being part of the wrestling team and traveling to tournaments and learning to perform under pressure will build character.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A fight will nearly always end up on the ground.

Best to know how to fight on the ground.

View Quote

First part isn’t correct but the second part is.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Every single UFC fighter trains BJJ in some facet and the best UFC fighters by large are strong grapplers whether that be wrestling or BJJ.

What people in this thread don’t seem to understand is that grapplers dictate whether the fight stays standing or goes to the ground. Understanding how to defend a takedown is just as important as being able to establish a takedown. How to get back up is another aspect of wrestling or BJJ that people don’t understand as well.

I was a HS wrestler and I’m a pretty active competitor in BJJ currently. My gym is an MMA gym so pretty much everything is taught with strikes in mind and understanding where you are vulnerable and I train a mix of striking to complement my Jiu Jitsu.

Ultimately it’s up to you and you can train whatever you like, but the UFC (especially in the early days) has taught us which disciplines are the most dominant and important since 1993. You would be wise to follow those lessons. Whatever you decide, train with your kid. Don’t be the mouth breathing overweight parent telling your kid to go harder when you have no idea what they are going through. Lot of life lessons for everyone of any age to be learned on the mats.
View Quote

To the bolded, the vast majority do anyway. To get an idea of what happens when an otherwise very good fighter doesn't bother to train BJJ at all, check out Justin Gaethje's fights against Khabib and Oliveira.

BJJ is somewhat de-emphasized under the modern MMA rule set (mainly because of the short rounds) but even then it's an important skill set for pro fighters. For people training for self defense, even more so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

To the bolded, the vast majority do anyway. To get an idea of what happens when an otherwise very good fighter doesn't bother to train BJJ at all, check out Justin Gaethje's fights against Khabib and Oliveira.

BJJ is somewhat de-emphasized under the modern MMA rule set (mainly because of the short rounds) but even then it's an important skill set for pro fighters. For people training for self defense, even more so.
View Quote

Another example is Randy Couture vs James Toney.
Also Justin Gaethje is a great wrestler but still struggled against competent submission grapplers in Khabib and Oliveira.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#5]
BJJ and Muay Thai
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#6]
For self defense I would go with boxing. For resilience I would go with BJJ.
Kung Fu is nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Cobra Kai!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:08:57 AM EDT
[#8]
BJJ of that list to start, but I’d recommend incorporating boxing or similar stand-up fighting too.  Be well rounded and all that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Every single UFC fighter trains BJJ in some facet and the best UFC fighters by large are strong grapplers whether that be wrestling or BJJ.

What people in this thread don’t seem to understand is that grapplers dictate whether the fight stays standing or goes to the ground. Understanding how to defend a takedown is just as important as being able to establish a takedown. How to get back up is another aspect of wrestling or BJJ that people don’t understand as well.

I was a HS wrestler and I’m a pretty active competitor in BJJ currently. My gym is an MMA gym so pretty much everything is taught with strikes in mind and understanding where you are vulnerable and I train a mix of striking to complement my Jiu Jitsu.

Ultimately it’s up to you and you can train whatever you like, but the UFC (especially in the early days) has taught us which disciplines are the most dominant and important since 1993. You would be wise to follow those lessons. Whatever you decide, train with your kid. Don’t be the mouth breathing overweight parent telling your kid to go harder when you have no idea what they are going through. Lot of life lessons for everyone of any age to be learned on the mats.
View Quote

There is a huge difference between the dojo and the street being, you don't want to be on the ground in a street fight, I don't care how bad ass you are in BJJ
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Also Justin Gaethje is a great wrestler but still struggled against competent submission grapplers in Khabib and Oliveira.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. He can wrestle (and successfully defended a takedown attempt or 2 in each of those fights IIRC) but once they did get him to the ground he looked like a day 1 white belt. Shame too because his leg kicks were the only time I've ever seen Khabib look visibly uncomfortable in a fight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There is a huge difference between the dojo and the street being, you don't want to be on the ground in a street fight, I don't care how bad ass you are in BJJ
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but as he pointed out training in grappling also helps you keep from ending up on the ground.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are hundreds of examples of competent grapplers dominating people on the ground in street fights. There are pros and cons, but saying being on the ground is terrible in every single scenario is simply not true and a major generalization. One of the pros of being on the ground, especially against someone that is capable of striking is that it takes away the explosiveness and power of the strikes thrown because strikes are no longer thrown with full body rotation.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I want thank everyone for their insights and opinions. I apologize for not responding earlier, but I was traveling for work and dealing with the hurricane preps and hurricane once I returned.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I want thank everyone for their insights and opinions. I apologize for not responding earlier, but I was traveling for work and dealing with the hurricane preps and hurricane once I returned.
View Quote

Your absence allowed a thread about your six year old to devolve into a pretty amusing discussion, so it worked out.
Hope your hurricane damage was light.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top