BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Have you actually mic’d and tested them? Because we did back then, and rarely got one under .003” or with the right tension.  Great guns once tuned properly. They would “run.”  Once tuned, they ran really well.  This is not new information, been out there for decades and well known.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, every gun did not come that way.  I never had a single Kimber with an out of spec bushing or a too-loose extractor.

Have you actually mic’d and tested them? Because we did back then, and rarely got one under .003” or with the right tension.  Great guns once tuned properly. They would “run.”  Once tuned, they ran really well.  This is not new information, been out there for decades and well known.

And yet it isn't so.  Mine ran perfectly and were incredibly accurate.  Can't speak for all of them but your statement that every single Kimber had those two problems is inaccurate.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:35:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No idea what kind of matches you are talking about ,but both my eclipse 45, and stainless target 2 9mm have made it through several uspsa seasons without issue.One of my  good friends shot a kimber for years in SS, and made grand Master with it.I own 3 kimbers myself, and they have been very good reliable pistols.My eclipse even has the external extractor that everyone seemed to have problems with.I own a 9mm,10mm, and a 45 acp.
View Quote

One persons subjective opinion can not be trumped by your factual reality!  This is GD, fight to the death over brands and calibers!!!  
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:37:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I won't own anything made in Yonkers, NY
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What’s arctic about it?

I would probably rather have one of those $300 TISAs.
View Quote

White frame.  They make some nice looking pistols, but that isn't one of them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
According to GD unless it's made by Mr. Glock himself then yes they suck . That said my Tactical Pro 2 has ran flawlessly for thousands of rounds. Can't say the same for the pos Baer I had .
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Just know that that there's an above average chance you might need to send it back for warranty work on any newer kimbers.

The plus side is that they often do a free trigger job and even send an extra mag back after fixing a gun.

It seems like their warranty department is a lot better than the manufacturing floor

If you have a good Kimber dealer near you, you can probably get something used that may have already been "fixed" with more features for similar money.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, every gun did not come that way.  I never had a single Kimber with an out of spec bushing or a too-loose extractor.

They would “run” but once tuned they ran “really well”??

Idk. To me a pistol either runs or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t choke, how do you make it choke even less”??  If it’s brass to the forehead I get it. Other than that how do you tune a pistol to be more reliable if it’s already reliable?

The early guns were spectacular. The later guns are hit and miss but still more hit than miss. Examples of one notwithstanding.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Shouldn't it have a polar bear or an igloo engraved on it or something?  
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I had a Kimber Carry II, it ran fine.
View Quote

My Pro Carry II has been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Can I hate on Kimber here?

Ultra CDP II has never not sucked ever since I bought it new - it went in the safe a dozen years ago and has not left it since.

I don’t even remember what the final straw was - maybe it was the umpteenth FTE or maybe it was something else - was I perhaps limp wristing it? But none of my other pistols have had such problems.

Never again…

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Do they even fix them so many years later?

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don’t understand the Kimber hate. I’ve had 5 of them and only had an issue with one. It was a ultra carry and I replaced the extractor. It’s run fine ever since.

I used to carry a Kimber daily and shot dozens of idpa matches with them. So flame away.
View Quote

I'm with you.  Now I do have a simple protocol for kimbers, but it applies to all sub 1k 1911.  Check extractor tension/material, adjust replace.  Slide stop material, replace with WC if it's not forged.  A couple kimber specific items, remove fp block in slide of swartz(II) models.  Also check throat/chamber transition, seems I've found a couple sharp corners that can lead to 3 pt binds.  My current 10yr old tle pro 2 has been solid after ditching the swartz part in slide, it was solid before that, but that do-dad can cause a fail to return to battery.  I like that tle pro so much that I redid it last yr, full WC bulletproof internals, 40lpi slide rear, ball end cut slide nose, complete melt, rd butt wc msh, and fit an oversized eqw forged grip safety.  Had it reparked and added Harrison rear and novak front pinned.  That pistol will feed and chamber empty cases, I trust it as much as I do my nhc or wc built pistols.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a couple of stainless Kimbers that I carried. No problems, sold them off when I decided I wanted to try Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine work fine
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nope.  They have not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They never didn’t suck.

Stupidly wrong.

They’ve always been exactly the same as they are now except that brief period when they tried external extractors.

Nope.  They have not.

So what do you think was different about them?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a Gen 1
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:11:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They’ve always been exactly the same as they are now except that brief period when they tried external extractors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They never didn’t suck.

Stupidly wrong.

listen to this man.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14563/93B2667D-AD4E-4284-83A1-D49026EE04D3-2612235.jpg

5" alloy frame no checkering on the front of the frame/grip. I think it's a regular 70, no weird Schwartz safety. On sale for something like $ 625.

Don't need impulse maybe buy
View Quote

I have a couple Kimber 1911s and have been very happy with them.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I like mine.

Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I won't by one after my Custom II wouldn't run after 3 trips back to Kimber.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
It's hard to take seriously a pistol made in 2022 for self defense that has no integral provision to mount a weapon light.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They never didn’t suck.

Stupidly wrong.

Nope.  They have not.

Quality control.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Man that’s nice .

I’ve got a kimber , never had one issue with it , and it’s got the best trigger out of all my pistols .
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Mim sights.  Undersheriff in another county had the front sight break off.  It had to be replaced and that's how we know it was MIM'd.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
My Custom Target II was such an unreliable POS Kimber "fixed it" multiple times and never actually fixed it..... I finally fixed it myself and then sold it.

If you attempted to gift me a kimber I would decline.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#26]
That white-framed 1911 is so YOU, Mod.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quality control.
View Quote

If they do that, they started fairly recently.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality control.

You misunderstand.  They used to have quite good quality control, but I have heard from others that it slipped starting about ten years ago, or maybe a little more.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality control.

Kimber's QC has gone down significantly in the past 5-6 years; maybe longer. Idk...shit blurs together nowadays lol. I think they got bought out or something. I daily carry a Kimber, but the QC issues lately are a real thing.

That said: their Micro .380 is miles better than the sig p238 besides the horrible finish and base model rubber grips (on a pocket pistol?).

They also lowered the warranty period from (I think) 3 years to 1 year now. I doubt a basic full size series 70 would give many issues in general, but...if you buy one, you'd better put a few boxes through it quickly and find out while the warranty is still valid. They WILL fix it, no problem, but it might take a while
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

That's pretty damned sexy
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:24:34 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a sample size of two Kimbers. Mine and my shooting buddy's gun.

Both work very well with no issues. Both are II series if that matters.

I would be okay buying another one if needed.

I haven't carried it, since I carry a different gun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's hard to take seriously a pistol made in 2022 for self defense that has no integral provision to mount a weapon light.
View Quote

I don't think a penguin colored full sized handgun is marketed towards the operator self defense crowd, and I'm pretty sure there's no issues mounting lights from the trigger guard on metal framed guns

I personally wouldn't buy a full sized 1911 with a rail. I think it's ugly and just adds unnecessary weight.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I love all the Kimber hate, it keeps the prices down a bit on the 1911s I want made in the late 90's.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:43:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I use collect 1911s and had a few Kimbers along with some other brands. Fit and finish of all the Kimbers that I came into possession were all excellent and they all shot straight. When I got out of the 1911 game I sold them all, but kept one, a 5 in plain jane Kimber. It’s actually the most beat up and scratched up 1911 in the group which was acquired thru a trade. Kept is because it worked and I knew I wasn’t going to get much for it.
View Quote

Back from when they were in Oregon?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Back from when they were in Oregon?
View Quote

None of the Kimber 1911s were made in Oregon.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
None of the Kimber 1911s were made in Oregon.
View Quote

Were all their frames made in Yonkers?
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, the guy that bought Kimber also purchased Jerico in Yonkers NY, Edelmon(SP) was his name.  Jerico was already set up for high end gun machining and they were making slides/frames for Wilson Combat, Ithaca and others.  They also had government contracts for machine gun parts if I remember right.  I have two Clackamas marked Kimbers in my safe that were first year production pistols and they are very tight and very accurate although I don't shoot them all that much.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Bought an ultra carry in 01.
Paid 720 bucks and the first shot at the range
Hit the x with basic sights at 10 yards
It’s my edc
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:12:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes, the guy that bought Kimber also purchased Jerico in Yonkers NY, Edelmon(SP) was his name.  Jerico was already set up for high end gun machining and they were making slides/frames for Wilson Combat, Ithaca and others.  They also had government contracts for machine gun parts if I remember right.  I have two Clackamas marked Kimbers in my safe that were first year production pistols and they are very tight and very accurate although I don't shoot them all that much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And "Jerico" is an acronym of the company's original name "Jerry and Rich's Company."
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn, that's an ugly piece.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:28:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Any 1911 under $2500 is a slide and frame kit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You misunderstand.  They used to have quite good quality control, but I have heard from others that it slipped starting about ten years ago, or maybe a little more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality control.

Oh. No, I don’t they ever did anything appreciably better.   The early Caspian/Jerico guns from before they  were Kimber were supposedly pretty good but everything stamped Kimber has always been the same.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Damn, that's an ugly piece.
View Quote

You shut your mouth mouth when you're talkin' 'bought Shaft

I personally dig the white (which I've never seen before) but it's certainly not for everyone.
We don't all have penguin law degree money to burn on frivolities
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Oh. No, I don't they ever did anything appreciably better.   The early Caspian/Jerico guns from before they  were Kimber were supposedly pretty good but everything stamped Kimber has always been the same.  
View Quote

Not sure if serious...
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Kimber’s do still suck. After warning them with no uncertainty, two buddies recently bought Kimber’s despite my warnings. Neither one works right.

One will not feed any ammo at all, the other one will not feed any hollowpoint we’ve tested, and we’ve tested a lot.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:39:11 AM EDT
[#46]
I have a custom II 10MM. It has had a few FTF issues. But I have only fired 150 rounds through it. It may not like the ammo I was using.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Kimber is junk. I’ve still never seen one complete a match without choking at least once.

Ever.
View Quote

Good friend took a Kimber to an advanced handgun class. No problems. The one I bought earlier this year has had no problems either. Wife bought a Kimber Micro 9 and had to send it back to the factory. Once it came back, it's been fine.

The Kimber in the OP might be just what I need to go with my snow camo outfit.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:40:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh. No, I don’t they ever did anything appreciably better.   The early Caspian/Jerico guns from before they  were Kimber were supposedly pretty good but everything stamped Kimber has always been the same.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality control.

Sorry, but you really have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:41:22 AM EDT
[#49]
Kimbers gtg, but there was a time when they expanded from niche to mega popularity, that they developed a bit of a bad reputation.  

Buy it.  YOLO.   Besides,…  Your $600 USD lost $50 in value, in the time it took to make this thread.
Link Posted: 11/25/2022 12:44:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Every one of them I’ve owned, required extractor adjustment. Haven’t had to with any of my colts.   Simple enough to do but still.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top