Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2019 8:47:59 PM EDT
I recently started playing after a long hiatus, and my daughters are into it. Problem is they can't get a good handle on my clubs since they are too big for them.

I'm not sure if they'll stick with it, but I'm thinking maybe I can start each of them with a barebones set of clubs that won't break the bank too much in case they lose interest.

I was thinking a 3 wood, 7 iron, and putter for each girl for now to teach the basics. They are each about 55" tall so I know they will need clubs suited for youths.

Am I taking too much of a minimalist approach, or does this seem sufficient to start? I have a line on some used clubs, but if I can't find youth versions of these 3 clubs I can put some together from components if necessary.

Any advice from parents who have intro'd their kids to golf is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you can get a complete set from Dicks (I know, I know) for $109. They could share them maybe? By the time they can out play them they'll probably have out grown them anyways.

Grand parents bought my niece a decent set for her two year career, but she lives in Pinehurst, a set of Wilson's would have gotten her laughed off the course.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discourage them now.  Otherwise...they might grow up to be golfers.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I just started mine on some youth clubs like you are thinking.  Talk to someone at the course if you can as well.  They helped me out with a few free clubs long the way.

Just be sure to make it fun.  Both of my sones ended up playing high school golf but looking back I would have been much more relaxed on the course.  I was always too much a stickler for course etiquette.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a play it again sports near you?  Seems like the one near me frequently has used junior clubs, it might be worth a try.

I don't have kids, but I did start playing when I was one.  Here's my perspective:

My dad started me on par 3 courses, and he always made me focus on the shorter clubs.  Aside from screwing around with fairway woods at the range, I don't think I actually hit a driver (or 1 wood as they were called then) "in anger" until I was a teen.  In retrospect, I think this was stupid; sorry dad, just because you shank your driver into the woods doesn't mean I will...  He also started me on regulation courses way later than I thought I should have (I was probably 12 or 13 the first time I played a par 72, and that was with my uncle.)  I guess my point here is that I think I was held back from a few aspects of the game and I think that was more of a hindrance than a help.

Growing up, I received several sets of hand me down clubs from various family members that were cut down and re-gripped, although I've read this isn't recommended because of the way the shaft flex changes when it's shortened too much.  Then again, it seems like nobody outside of tour pros gave a shit about that kind of stuff then.

My biggest regret was that I didn't receive more professional instruction.  If your kids do show an interest in it, I'd highly recommend you get them some actual private instruction (not just golf camps or group lessons.)  I also didn't get the opportunity to play high school golf (school didn't offer it) but I feel like that would have been a huge benefit for me.

Good on you for getting your kids started now.  It's really an activity they can enjoy for the rest of their lives, and from what I've seen people that started as kids have much more fun with it and get way less pissed off than those that started later in life.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Search Craigslist and get a set for cheap.  They don't need high tech or new clubs just quality.

Get a set and cut down the 3w, 5,7,9,pw and putter.  You can do it yourself like I did with my kids and my father did for me.  Aslo don't throw away your set when you get some new ones.  I lived off my dad's old.clubs through high school.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Search Craigslist and get a set for cheap.  They don't need high tech or new clubs just quality.

Get a set and cut down the 3w, 5,7,9,pw and putter.  You can do it yourself like I did with my kids and my father did for me.  Aslo don't throw away your set when you get some new ones.  I lived off my dad's old.clubs through high school.
View Quote
The only problem with cut down clubs is that they can be too heavy for some children.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Dirt bike?
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You can take a pipe cutter and cut the shafts a couple or so inches off of regular size clubs and then regrip them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only problem with cut down clubs is that they can be too heavy for some children.
View Quote
Not only that, but the shafts will likely end up much stiffer than they should be for a junior golfer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#10]
My son is 3. He already tries to swing my clubs around out in the yard. So I’ll probably have to get him some soon.

My grandfather started me around 5 years old. First set was (IIRC) a Driver, 5 iron, 7 iron, wedge, and putter. And they were purpose built for junior players.

I think it was a great staring point. I’d go driver over 3-wood. Staring out, they’ll be hitting woods off a tee. A driver is more forgiving. The 5, 7, wedge doesn’t leave any huge gaps. Heck, I won my first tournament with the above set

Starting out, it’s more about making sure they have fun while building some decent fundamentals. A full bag of clubs really doesn’t enhance those goals.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#11]
For starts go the Dicks sporting good route. The child will have clubs that fit. Then find a Linksters program at a nearby course so they can get proper instruction at next to no cost.
If they play a year you will throw away the first set and drop about a 500.00 on the next set. These will last a few years, then you will buy a $$$ set that will last roughly till collage.
My 13 Y/O daughter has been playing for 3 years, various tournament associations and school golf. The costs are crazy, but the benefits will last her lifetime.
She hadn't swung a club for like 3 months, but has been doing cross fit instead. The look on her face a few days ago when she crushed a ball into about a 220 yd. drive made it all worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top