BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2020 8:11:00 PM EDT
Anyone own one?
Any years to stay away from?
Any thoughts on one?
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to sell them, I’d personally go with a 1090 but the 1290 is a fantastic bike. Stay away from the 1190.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you talking about the big pearl white Super ADV previous to 2017 or the new super adv R 18+ which looks like a 1190 with a new headlight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
They are beasts.  Good fun.

I wouldn't mind owning one but I already have a big ADV bike in the garage.

The new 1290 Super Duke R appeals to my inner teenager, though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s the super adv r
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to sell them, I’d personally go with a 1090 but the 1290 is a fantastic bike. Stay away from the 1190.
View Quote

elaborate
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

elaborate
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
They are beasts.  Good fun.

I wouldn't mind owning one but I already have a big ADV bike in the garage.

The new 1290 Super Duke R appeals to my inner teenager, though.
View Quote

I just about bought a new 2020 Super Duke R......then the covid wrecked the finances.

As soon as things straighten out, I’ll get one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By fttam:

I just about bought a new 2020 Super Duke R......then the covid wrecked the finances. 

As soon as things straighten out, I’ll get one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fttam:
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:
They are beasts.  Good fun.

I wouldn't mind owning one but I already have a big ADV bike in the garage.

The new 1290 Super Duke R appeals to my inner teenager, though.

I just about bought a new 2020 Super Duke R......then the covid wrecked the finances. 

As soon as things straighten out, I’ll get one.

Guy locally had a super duke. I would love to have one even though it's a million times too much bike for me. Guy must have gotten bored with it because he bought one of them new supercharged kawis. Must be doing well
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

elaborate
View Quote

The 1090 is a bit "slimmer" and less refined, or more basic, and plenty of power, a little more off road oriented. The 1290 is too big and powerful for what I would want. It has all of the features and range, a little more road oriented and competes with the big BMW & Triumph, but too big for what I'd like.  

The 1190 was unrefined, the power delivery was reported as too abrupt, by some, and the few guys I know that had them always had minor but annoying issues.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bmmc:

The 1090 is a bit "slimmer" and less refined, or more basic, and plenty of power, a little more off road oriented. The 1290 is too big and powerful for what I would want. It has all of the features and range, a little more road oriented and competes with the big BMW & Triumph, but too big for what I'd like.  

The 1190 was unrefined, the power delivery was reported as too abrupt, by some, and the few guys I know that had them always had minor but annoying issues. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

elaborate

The 1090 is a bit "slimmer" and less refined, or more basic, and plenty of power, a little more off road oriented. The 1290 is too big and powerful for what I would want. It has all of the features and range, a little more road oriented and competes with the big BMW & Triumph, but too big for what I'd like.  

The 1190 was unrefined, the power delivery was reported as too abrupt, by some, and the few guys I know that had them always had minor but annoying issues. 

Thanks man. I actually read a article a while back and the author also preferred the 1090 as he thought it was a much better all around bike.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd agree if you're doing any real off road riding. Frankly if I were to buy something cheap, but adequate ,I'd go for a 2014 Yamaha Tenere. They're super reliable, parts are available but they're super vanilla.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 1:11:26 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

The 1090 is "slimmer" because the left the center stand off,  yep you can purchase it from KTM and put it on but then they weigh the same amount,  and the 1090 is down 25 HP and doesn't have the lean angle sensing ABS,  just normal ABS.

Snatchy throttle off the bottom is easily fixed with a pair of fueling dongles ( about $50 ).  it's night and day difference.

My '16 has been rock solid for 36k miles,  I don't treat it nicely either,  I've smacked the ground on it more than a handful of times.   Awesome bikes.  

A 1290 SAR is a good ride,   the improved the suspension a good bit,  gave it more motor ( like it really needed any ),  a great headlight and a few extra add ons for the electronics package,  you can get a quick shifter and cruise control just by having the dealer program it on to your bike.

I'd buy another one if mine was totaled.

Mine,
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 2:00:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Is that Mt. Whitney?
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Size and weight is a wash between the 1290 and 1090. Electrical amenities are the major difference.

The additional power comes into play regarding how much acceleration is available when gong faster than 80 mph. The1090s 125HP is plenty to keep the cages from biting you. If I was going to be riding more civilized areas I would have gone with the 1290SAR. I knew the abuse my bike would be getting and wanted to lessen the chance of an electrical gremlin stranding me far from civilization so I went with the 1090R.

I have never ridden such a heavy bike that feels so light offroad. It feels like a dirt bike where you are sitting on it, not in it. Much easier to use body english than something like a GS. The faster you go, the lighter it feels, and the suspension lets you go pretty fast since its so forgiving when encountering an obstacle appearing right in front of you. I used to have a GS and it didn't inspire confidence off road in the rough stuff.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
Is that Mt. Whitney?
View Quote

Whitney would be a little farther south,  I'm on Owens Lake road just a mile or so before 395.  In the pic is the Mamoth area.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been a fan of them ever since I road one on a KTM demo day. I've gotten close to buying one three times now but each time I've pulled back because I was never really happy with the deal. If my current bike was lost today I'd be out there tomorrow buying one, but as it stands my bike owes me absolutely nothing and I've gotten it set up to the point where I'm satisfied with it.

I'd also consider the 790 if you are wanting to do some more off road based stuff. It's really a game changer in the middle weight market.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Spend some time over at ADVrider.com

If it were me I would be looking at the 1090 or 790, but I like dirt a lot more than street.

I ride a 07 KTM990
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#18]
You should find a nice carbed 950.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#19]
KTM 790 Adventure R

Pure joy

If you've got more unpaved roads, or off road riding in mind, it's a great option.  Especially good if you've got to ride the roads a while to get to your off road fun.  

It's large enough to do highways, small enough to be manageable and capable off road.  

Cruise control, ABS, MTC, street mode, rain mode, off road mode, Rally mode.  Really well thought out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Back in 2017 I spent a week riding one around Texas and thought it was a fantastic bike. I didn't take it off road other than some dirt roads and it was a little big for me but it's an incredible bike.

I have a plan to spend my sabbatical riding around the country on a 790 Adventure R but I need to sell some bikes first after vintage and MX racing winds down for me (next 2-3 years).
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#22]
All of them are too tall for my little legs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#24]
1190R in my garage.  "The Thunder Pumpkin".  
You'll forget all about writing that check the first time you twist the throttle.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You should find a nice carbed 950.
View Quote

put 900-1000 miles on my BIL's last year, other than not wanting to idle in 100+ degree heat in stop and go traffic, that bike was GTG. Pretty comfortable, handling was decent.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 1:56:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a 2017 1290 SAR. It has more power than you'll ever need. Electronics are cool, but I have noticed some glitches. The keyless ignition is a weak point IMO.

It feels great offroad, handles much lighter than it actually is. On the highway at 80MPH it feels a little squirrely with the 21" front wheel, but I'm also comparing it to my last bike which was a BMW 1200GS.

The service interval is fairly long, which is nice I guess.

Overall I love it, it's stupidly fast and likes to wheelie, but for the average person it's definitely overkill (including myself)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top