Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2021 9:35:20 PM EDT
I've been trying to buy one of the new smith and wesson .357 mag model 19 classics for about 5 months. And I can't find one anywhere except on gunbroker for 200 to 400 over msrp. I set an alert for a bunch of websites to notify me when they are in stock. I got an email from grabagun.com tonight saying it was in stock for 863 dollars. (which is the exact msrp listed on smith and wesson's website). I got my order in as fast as I could and they were gone within 15 minutes of me placing my order and they now show sold out again. I don't get why people are hoarding 6 shooters though. With Biden in office, I can understand panic buying ak's and ar15's, but revolvers will be one of the last things they ban. I don't get it, but im very excited to be a new owner of a model 19.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics not loading
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics not loading
View Quote

What pics? I don't have the gun yet. I got my online order placed and confirmed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What pics? I don't have the gun yet. I got my online order placed and confirmed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics not loading

There ya go. And I didn't even buy one.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#4]
This old guy was an armorer for smith and wesson and he hand built the original model 19's in the 1970's. He says the claim that they dont build them like they used to is nonsense. The new classic model that just came out a few years ago is better built and tougher in every single way you can list according to him. And this video helped me make up my mind on whether I wanted an actual old classic model or the new "classic" model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h9l2ipiKf4
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]
But is has a lock though
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
But is has a lock though
View Quote

Yes. I'm not thrilled about that and I see no reason for it. But the issues and horror stories of them locking up on their own have not happened in many years. I think s&w have recognized and fixed that problem because it hasn't been an issue for quite a while. At about 15 minutes and 30 seconds into the video is when he goes into detail on how and why the new one is more durable and reliable than the old one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This old guy was an armorer for smith and wesson and he hand built the original model 19's in the 1970's. He says the claim that they dont build them like they used to is nonsense. The new classic model that just came out a few years ago is better built and tougher in every single way you can list according to him. And this video helped me make up my mind on whether I wanted an actual old classic model or the new "classic" model.

View Quote

How much did they have to pay him to say that?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't watch the video before I posted but I have now.  I think most of the allure of older smiths can be understood by watching that video you posted.  Those pistols were more so built by hand.  The hours of hand tuning them to make them what they were/are is why the are some of the most coveted pistols.

Sure, today's tech makes this much more easy but that sort of takes away from the overall "quality" of the firearm.  I would rather have a hand tuned older smith that was just a bunch of junky parts that wouldn't work (pulled from that video) until a master at his craft made them all work together than most of today's firearms.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The model 19 came out in 1957.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice score but damn revolver prices are stupid high these days
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought an SP101 for MSRP the other day and didn’t think anything of it. Wanted a .357 for a woods gun sidearm, it was available and so I bought it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't mind the locked and mimmed guns anymore.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice score but damn revolver prices are stupid high these days
View Quote

Yes. I agree. And I have no idea why I wanted this thing so bad.. I'm not gonna conceal carry it. It's not optimal for home defense. I have no other explanation other than I really want it. I have a no mim/no dash 686 that was made in the early 80's. It's an awesome gun thats very accurate and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:22:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve seen reviews that say the new ones are very good.... however there’s still that fucking hole above the cylinder release.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've seen reviews that say the new ones are very good.... however there's still that fucking hole above the cylinder release.
View Quote
OP needs this
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2426997_A-Cure-for-that-Hideous-Blemish-on-Your-Smith-and-Wesson.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]

I ‘seen’ that.  I recently got a 610 with the hole...thinking about getting one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have no idea, but he goes into great details with his reasons and gets very specific.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I’ve seen reviews that say the new ones are very good.... however there’s still that fucking hole above the cylinder release.
View Quote

Yes and the old ones recommended only using .357 magnum on occasion. The new one says its ok to give it a steady diet of the hottest .357 magnum loads you can get.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:40:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes and the old ones recommended only using .357 magnum on occasion. The new one says its ok to give it a steady diet of the hottest .357 magnum loads you can get.
View Quote
Old Kframe magnums are safe for a steady diet of .357s,  just not 125 grain magnums
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@DaddyShark, the Wheel Guns are flying off the shelves because they're reliable and capable. A .357 K-Frsme is still a fine house gun and even a CCW piece. Also, people think they won't be initially targeted and they're more than likely to weather a Biden Ban. So, folks are snatching them up as an insurance against any future gun bans. Lastly, the novices find the simplicity of not having to buy magazines a good thing on their wallets. Personally for me, for that money, I can buy original S&W Model 19s.

Anways.... right now, just about anything self defense related is in hot demand. Revolvers, Pump Shotguns, Lever Actions, Semiautomatic Pistols & Long Guns, etc....
View Quote

I watched a salesman at Cabelas pushing  P210 on a very obvious first time gun buyer because they had nothing else in stock a few months ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll still rate my 19-3's over the new ones. Glad you are happy though OP.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
@DaddyShark, the Wheel Guns are flying off the shelves because they're reliable and capable. A .357 K-Frsme is still a fine house gun and even a CCW piece. Also, people think they won't be initially targeted and they're more than likely to weather a Biden Ban. So, folks are snatching them up as an insurance against any future gun bans. Lastly, the novices find the simplicity of not having to buy magazines a good thing on their wallets. Personally for me, for that money, I can buy original S&W Model 19s.

Anways.... right now, just about anything self defense related is in hot demand. Revolvers, Pump Shotguns, Lever Actions, Semiautomatic Pistols & Long Guns, etc....
View Quote

That thinking is kind of dumb about surviving a ban. I hope they don't do it, but a new assault weapons ban is certainly possible with biden (auto correct capitalized his name, and I changed that), but anyways I don't see confiscation happening. They know there's way too many people, probably in the millions that would go down fighting if the gov knocked on their door and asked for what they already have. That's not really an option realistically with this country. But the sale of any new ones, parts, and the sale and transfer of mags with a capacity beyond 10 being banned is a real possibility.  Which is crazy because I can still get 30 round pmags at a reasonable price.. I have plenty of 30 rounders but they stay at home most of the time and do nothing. Because I actually prefer my 20 rounders when I'm shooting on the range. Works out perfectly. It's easier to shoot sitting at a bench since its close to level with the rest of the rifle and one 20 round mag= one 20 round box of ammo. No half boxes and loose rounds all over the place when I do it that way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#25]
My 19-3:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes. I agree. And I have no idea why I wanted this thing so bad.. I'm not gonna conceal carry it. It's not optimal for home defense. I have no other explanation other than I really want it. I have a no mim/no dash 686 that was made in the early 80's. It's an awesome gun thats very accurate and fun to shoot.
View Quote

You wanted it because it's a gorgeous piece and harkens back to a day when a man's weapons were of steel and wood.

And why in God's good name is a .357 Maggaggie not good for home defense???
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:11:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Now go find some ammo for it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:13:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And MIM parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But is has a lock though

And MIM parts.
Hillary Hole = deal breaker.  MIM parts is just the icing on the tombstone
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:38:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/wrufNNh.jpg
View Quote

yep - I will keep gramps 19-3... handle it a lot, shoot it a little.

the Colt trooper gets fed the most out of all- w/ lower power 38 wadcutters...

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#30]
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 3:52:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/wrufNNh.jpg
View Quote

Pretty much everyone is going to rate the older anything as being superior to the newer anything, aren't they?  Especially when it comes to steel?

Gorgeous guns, btw!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:26:41 AM EDT
[#32]
You wanted the gun, you found one, and it wasn't priced over MSRP. If you feel good about it, that's all that matters. It doesn't matter what anyone else says.

Enjoy your new wheel-gun and post pics when you pick it up!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Sold my 19-3 for $500. Still regret it!
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Brilliant! If I had any post-lock S&Ws, every one would have that on it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#36]
The lock is dumb and needs to go. I think we can all agree on that.

That said, I watched the whole video. It was interesting to hear what he had to say. He went into a lot of detail about the changes that have been made and seems to think the new guns are greatly improved over the old ones.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's a pic of my 2.5" Model 19-2, P&R, bought back in '84 or '85.  Cant find a pic of my 4" Model 19 at the moment.

Not going to say what I paid for it, back then, cause I don't want to ruin the OP's day.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I  have several Colt and SW revolvers from 50 to 75 years ago.  When I find someone who has only ever owned a Glock, I hand them a revolver and have them try it on single action.  The expression on their face is priceless.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:09:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

And MIM parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But is has a lock though

And MIM parts.

I thought all model 19s were pre-lock.

What’s happening here?

Edit: ah, it’s a reissue. Pass.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:10:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Call me Old Fashioned, but I like my firing pin on my hammer. It's a more desirable feature (to me) than being P & R.

19-3, 19-4 is best 19.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
View Quote

A babe in the kitchen is worth two on the beach.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 6:53:48 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a 66-3. The K frame revolvers are where it's at. I wouldn't hesitate buying from the Classic line of revolvers. Enjoy your purchase.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fluff......I was waiting for you or Miami to chime in.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:32:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I used these back when Bullseye Smith produced them.

Took that stupid flag out and threw it like a frisbee into the trash can.  I got pretty good at that frisbee throw.

Link
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And MIM parts.
View Quote

MIM parts are much better than the used to be. Not too many years ago they were still figuring it out and they were junk. Now you'll be hard pressed to find a power tool that doesn't have MIM gears, for example, even Hilti have switched over.

A MIM part isn't for every application but there are lots that it's absolutely fine for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:03:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

MIM parts are much better than the used to be. Not too many years ago they were still figuring it out and they were junk. Now you'll be hard pressed to find a power tool that doesn't have MIM gears, for example, even Hilti have switched over.

A MIM part isn't for every application but there are lots that it's absolutely fine for.
View Quote

I got some of the Classics about 15 years ago......they are fine.

Never had a problem with any of them but, as I said above, I IMMEDIATELY discarded that stupid lock and installed a "Plug".

Easy to do.

My favorite is the 1917 Classic Model 22 in .45acp (I put on larger grips though, the standard grips are too small if you have large hands).

No longer in production currently.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#48]
@DaddyShark

Glad you are happy with your purchase.

Still sad that S&W still uses the lock, but so be it.

I’m very happy with my Classic M29. Also enjoy my M19-4 (prolly paid more than its worth)

Point being, screw the haters.

Just enjoy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#49]
My 19-3, trigger has been worked, smooth as silk.

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Suposedly the new K frames are sturdier than the old ones.   May be true but the lock and the two piece barrels are not something I want.

That said I prefer the older S&W with the hammer mounted firing pins.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top