Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2018 12:46:10 PM EDT
Just ordered a Smoker - Nothing High end. What should I smoke 1st?

So after hearing a million different opinions on what to buy, each different from the last.  I ordered a Smoke Hollow 44241GW.
https://www.smoke-hollow.com/product/model-44241gw-44%e2%80%b3-gas-smoker-2/

Its a verticle box smoker, that has like 5 racks, including a rack for ribs and sausage hangers (doubt I'd do that).  Its LP fired and has two trays for wood Chunks and Chips and a tray for water. Also has a window so you can eyeball your meats.

I'm sure there are a lot better, most for more money, but thats what I ordered...

Next I have to order a nice Thermometer setup to keep tabs on stuff.

To save money I went with th cheapest shipping possible, so it won't be here for a week or so.

I have never smoked or been involved with smoking any meats, so I have zero clue what I'm doing.

I look fwd to learning and trying new cuts as we love our Grilled and Smoked meats and vegtables.

We grill a lot over the summer and on most holidays, so eventually, I want to do a big Turkey, Ham, Briskett, Ribs and "burnt Ends", maybe a pork loin.  
Not so sure about Chicken.

Once I get everything and get it all setup. What should I try smoking 1st?

Any recipes and processes to follow?  
Again, I'm a complete newb.  In the past I've mostly grilled cheap dogs, burgers, pork steaks and decent cut Beef Steaks. Nothing fancy.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I started off with chuck roasts, and now I'm working my way towards a pork butt.  Watch for sales at your local supermarket and smoke some cheap stuff before going on to more expensive cuts.

Edit to add... Check out the Smoking Meats Forum... there's a bunch of good tips and recipes on there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
8-10 lb pork butt.  Rub some bbq rub on it. I've tried a bunch and they don't make a lot of difference.  If the first ingredient is sugar it will give a darker bark.  Smoke at 250-275 for 5-6 hours.  I smoke until 150 degrees internal temp.  Continue cooking until 205 degrees internal or the bone pulls out easily.  At 275 it'll take around 1 hour up to 1 hour 15 minutes a pound at the very minimum.  Get a remote meat thermometer and just cook it to 205 then wrap or cover and let it rest at least half an hour.  Some electrics and gas are light on the smoke so adjust accordingly.  Also start with the meat somewhat cold.  It will soak up more smoke and have a nicer smoke ring if it's started cold.  I use hickory and pecan for butts.

I trim the thick fat down and score whats left then season.  Put a drip pan under the butt.  I usually smoke fat side up but it doesn't really matter.  They'll be a ton of rendered fat.  You can redistribute a little of it on the pulled meat.

It's the easiest most forgiving cut of meat you can do.  Great to learn on and really good, moist.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually do 3 or 4 pork butts to break in a new smoker...
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out BBQ Brethren... It's the ARFCOM of BBQ smoking.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I started off with chuck roasts, and now I'm working my way towards a pork butt.  Watch for sales at your local supermarket and smoke some cheap stuff before going on to more expensive cuts.

Edit to add... Check out the Smoking Meats Forum... there's a bunch of good tips and recipes on there.
View Quote
The AR15.com of BBQ

ETA: meant to quote the BBQ Brethren post.  It is great.  Both are good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#6]
With chicken, be careful on the amount of smoking wood you use. It absorbs the smoke easily and you can ruin the taste. Less is more imo. Same goes for turkey

Turkey should be smoked hotter, I like mine 300-325

Ribs can be smoked low and slow (225ish) or hot and fast (325ish). I generally prefer hot... They taste just as good

Watch Harry Soo videos on YouTube. He has some good beginner videos

Once you learn how your smoker retains heat, is really not hard. That will be your first learning curve is keeping your temp consistent.

Pork shoulder is a good starting point. Affordable and hard to mess up. Plus there are a lot of things you can do with the meat other than pulled pork sandwiches
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#7]
First, don't mess with cheap thermometers.  I spent way too much on them and replacing them over the years.

I only buy my thermometer stuff from Thermoworks now.  I've yet to have something of theirs bite the dust or give me a bad reading.  Buy once, cry once.  Buy both a leave in, like the Thermoworks smoke, and an instant read like the Thermapen MK 4.

Since you have a propane style smoker, you really don't need to spend any time figuring out how to manage your smoker...it's a set and forget.  Not my style, but it will produce decent bbq.

My list of meats that you should smoke are as follows:

First: Pork butt or Meat loaf - both have lots of fat and are super forgiving, almost impossible to screw them up.  Loaf to 165, pork butt start probing at 190, and pull when the probe slides in like it's going into warm butter.  Some do this at 190, some at 210...just depends on the butt.
Second: chuck roast, pork belly(for cheater burnt ends)
Third: Ribs - Get you some pork ribs, baby back and spare, learn how to trim, rub, and cook them to perfection.
Fourth: Brisket - This is the most difficult cook to get right.  You have two different muscles with two very different textures and fat contents.  To get them both perfectly done at the same time is very difficult.  Even bad brisket is still pretty good though...so keep at it, I guarantee you it will get better with each cook you do.

At this point, if you're still into smoking, you're going to be looking for some sort of all wood fired smoker.  Be it charcoal or more likely a stick burner.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First, don't mess with cheap thermometers. I spent way too much on them and replacing them over the years.

I only buy my thermometer stuff from Thermoworks now.  I've yet to have something of theirs bite the dust or give me a bad reading.  Buy once, cry once.  Buy both a leave in, like the Thermoworks smoke, and an instant read like the Thermapen MK 4.

Since you have a propane style smoker, you really don't need to spend any time figuring out how to manage your smoker...it's a set and forget.  Not my style, but it will produce decent bbq.

My list of meats that you should smoke are as follows:

First: Pork butt or Meat loaf - both have lots of fat and are super forgiving, almost impossible to screw them up.  Loaf to 165, pork butt start probing at 190, and pull when the probe slides in like it's going into warm butter.  Some do this at 190, some at 210...just depends on the butt.
Second: chuck roast, pork belly(for cheater burnt ends)
Third: Ribs - Get you some pork ribs, baby back and spare, learn how to trim, rub, and cook them to perfection.
Fourth: Brisket - This is the most difficult cook to get right.  You have two different muscles with two very different textures and fat contents.  To get them both perfectly done at the same time is very difficult.  Even bad brisket is still pretty good though...so keep at it, I guarantee you it will get better with each cook you do.

At this point, if you're still into smoking, you're going to be looking for some sort of all wood fired smoker.  Be it charcoal or more likely a stick burner.
View Quote
I looked at those Thermoworks, I'll either bet getting one of those or the Fireboard https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-extreme-bbq-edition/ one that has several probes...  But I do like what I've read on the Thermoworks and their cheaper!!!

I'm excited to get started.  I actually ordered a book too to read up on the techniques and different recipes.

Your list looks about like what I think I want to try in about that same order.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I looked at those Thermoworks, I'll either bet getting one of those or the Fireboard https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-extreme-bbq-edition/ one that has several probes...  But I do like what I've read on the Thermoworks and their cheaper!!!

I'm excited to get started.  I actually ordered a book too to read up on the techniques and different recipes.

Your list looks about like what I think I want to try in about that same order.
View Quote
I picked up a TW Smoke on Cyber Monday for 25% off. They may have another sale going at Christmas, New Years or before, seems like they have them often. Being able to monitor smoker temps and internal temps of meat remotely  is wonderful.  I used a Smoke Hollow 36 inch for 10-12 yrs, they're great smokers. The Smoking Meat forum has a sub forum for propane smokers. Again start with some less expensive cuts of meat, pork, chicken etc. Look up the "mailbox mod" for cold smoking and adding a needle valve for more control over gas flow/temps.
eta Looks like Thermapens are 25% off for 48 hrs right now. Thermapen Sale
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Go here for good recipes with science to back them up.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a good chunk of time: pork butt.   It’s easy.

Ribs take less time, baby backs a lot less.  Spares a little bit longer.

Either is easy.  The classic 3,2,1 method is too long in my experience for ribs.   That is 3 hours smoke, two hours wrapped, and one hour with the wrap off.

I like well cooked ribs but fall off the bone is over done.  There is a sweet spot.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I picked up a TW Smoke on Cyber Monday for 25% off. They may have another sale going at Christmas, New Years or before, seems like they have them often. Being able to monitor smoker temps and internal temps of meat remotely  is wonderful.  I used a Smoke Hollow 36 inch for 10-12 yrs, they're great smokers. The Smoking Meat forum has a sub forum for propane smokers. Again start with some less expensive cuts of meat, pork, chicken etc. Look up the "mailbox mod" for cold smoking and adding a needle valve for more control over gas flow/temps.
eta Looks like Thermapens are 25% off for 48 hrs right now. Thermapen Sale
View Quote
+1

Get on Thermoworks mailing list.  There's no real reason to pay full price for any of their stuff as they regularly do decent sales.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have a good chunk of time: pork butt.   It’s easy.

Ribs take less time, baby backs a lot less.  Spares a little bit longer.

Either is easy.  The classic 3,2,1 method is too long in my experience for ribs.   That is 3 hours smoke, two hours wrapped, and one hour with the wrap off.

I like well cooked ribs but fall off the bone is over done.  There is a sweet spot.
View Quote
I've also found 321 to be too long as well.  I went to a 3-1-1 system, and then I quit wrapping all together.  I just put them on, and take them off when they pass the bend test.  if my guests like them sauced, I'll get it almost to the bend pass and then sauce them for a half hour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top