Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2020 3:40:51 PM EDT
Looking to get a small cnc plasma table for some projects and stuff.

This uses mach3 and I am fine with it, combined with older mastercam IX, it will be a good fit along with the small router and laser running mach3

Anything good/bad to know? Looking at preorder newest model

Tia
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 11:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe take a read over on plasmaspider forum...
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Been talking with support, it will actually be using a new controller program. So hopefully i can use the mach3 program i have on my computer anyways, will have to see.
Reviews look good and not much bad being said
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks quite nice.  Will watch here for your review of it...
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Well it uses fusion360 and will not work with Mach3 or 4, that is fine 99% of what I will do will be with Mastercam9 anyways.

I pulled the trigger a few hours ago, and now the 3 month wait

BUT that is okay because I have nowhere to use it at the moment, so I have 3 months to build a plasma shop on the cheap

This should be a "here hold my beer build"
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, still waiting ...I sure will be pissed if this beer flu messes with delivery

I have been working on my he-shed (converted goat shack) still have a lot to do tho'
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Well if anybody needs something to read while waiting out the beer flu

Here is my redneck Goat building cheap ass remodel thread...it is way cheap and way trailer parky...enjoy

Also lots of the new table already up and running, should be smooth when I get mine

He-shed, Goat shed remodel at the Motel 6 pricing level

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Just got email that water table and stuff is on the way....2 mors boxes!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Haah - I saw your goat thread over there when you first posted it.  I’m in Batch 2 for the Pro also, ordered last week of December.  Just got the ship notice for my water table on Wednesday.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Small world

Hope to work in the goat feed area this weekend.....gotta expand my work area

I'm, not sure how in hell I'm going to fit this shiat together in my space...lol

Im doing art , bumpers and brackets etc

What are your plans? Business or fun...or both
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I screw around with trucks quite a bit, and I started doing a lot more welding last year, so this is just to further that addiction.  I’m sure I’ll come up with a couple things that I can hobby sell along the way.  

Need a tubing bender next.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Been doing it way to long, the ole girl in avatar was 14 pt cage, 3/4 eliptic rear suspension, locked up and just fun...she died tho' 45mph...cleared tabletop and yard darted....that BUT we didn't die...thank God...it did shorten drvside wheel base 3 inches...oops
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Yeah, mine are drag \ street trucks, just have to worry about hitting the concrete barrier.    I'll definitely be making some TBL metal flags, etc, too.   I'm pretty good with Illustrator and Fusion360 already so it's just the g-code export part I need to learn.   I already have a Hobart Airforce Plasma cutter that's on the compatibility list for the table so I'm going to try to get started with that.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Water Table box showed up today.  So now I've got 2 boxes out of 5.  (I added the laptop stand and z controller)

I've got space cleared in the barn, but I need to put a new panel out there because I'm all out of breaker space.

Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I got thc,Razorweld 45 (my lotus wasnt compatible), and waterbox....hope to run power to the goat lot this long weekend...I measured again...no fukn idea how Im going to assemble this thing in there

I am looking forward to it tho' feel free to add to this thread for others looking...still have to learn sheetcam...lots of videos to watch lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
My plan is to use 3M 4200 to bond both halves together, because silicone isnt made to flex under water, what are your plans? Sealant or weld?
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:26:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I admittedly haven’t looked at the assembly instructions yet.  Until all the parts are here its just a tease.  

Given the choice I’ll just tig weld it though. I did see some other good ideas on the forum like adding a drain to it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Me too, the beer-flu has delayed my tig machine until may or june (ordered in January )

I dont want to weld it with my mig since the weld will rust.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#20]
New panel is in.  Added a dedicated 110 quad next to the existing 50A welder plug, so that's pretty much it for what's needed to get going.  I have air about 6 feet away across the bay, I might extend it up and over to where the power is just so that it's not a trip hazard, and then I'll just add another 50A plug further down the wall for the welder to stay in.

Just got a shipping notification with tracking on "Box 2" (Which is really box 3) from Langmuir.   It says "Electronics".  
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Hope to get electric done this weekend, can't finish air until I see of assembly goes/works

I can't wait
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Well box #2 is set for Friday delivery ...now to wait on 1 more box to assemble it (see if it fits so I can finish everything up)

@M4DUDE

Waiting on lead screws for box #1 now...box #1 was the elusive one, they are saying next week... hopefully no rain this weekend
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Box 1 came today.

Assembly has begun.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Mine is set for tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Looking forward to your reviews.

Hard to beat the price.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I gave the silicone on the water table one chance.  If it leaks when I test fill it, I’ll take it apart and tig weld it.  

I’m probably 75% assembled at this point.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Finished assembly, zero'd it, ran the break-in program, and wired up my torch to the controller.   I had to see fire before I called it a night, so I fired it manually from FireControl and just jogged it across a piece of scrap steel at 100IMP.  

I don't have any water in the bed yet, I'll do that this week when I move it to it's final spot.

The only gotchas I found in assembly were around places where there are multiple of the same things and the instructions aren't clear about which ones go where.  For example with the lead screw bearing brackets, there's a short one, that goes on the X axis, and two longer ones that go on Y1 and Y2.  Same with the stepper motor brackets.  On the stepper motors, the one with the long cable goes on Y2.  The bottom brackets are put on with self-tappers so you're going to have to get underneath it to screwgun all those in - if you have a way to lift the table might make it easier.  

About 6 hours assembly if I had to guess by myself not rushing.   I'd like to wire-manage a couple things but I'll do that after I get it into position.  Running on a laptop with the laptop stand for now, don't know if that's the final config.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Cool, hope to assemble this week after work, still need to do final electric hookup way do much rain
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Cut a couple small things I made in Fusion tonight.  

Found one of the limitations of my plasma cutter very quickly.  Hobart plasma cutters don’t re-fire during post flow.  So when cutting a part, have to put a long delay between each firing of the torch to make sure it’s out of post before it tries to make the next cut.  

There is no place to add automatically in the software so have to edit the gcode manually.  I’ll probably create a vbscript I can just drop the gcode on to add it to all the right places but long term this will be annoying.

Also THC shipped today.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Have you seen this?

long post delay

Is this your issue?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bansil:
Have you seen this?

long post delay

Is this your issue?
View Quote

That’s exactly the issue.  Awesome.  Nice find.  I’ll try that.

ETA:  Worked like a champ!  Saved me from having to write a VBS or go into the file and add the lines.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 8:33:35 PM EDT
[#32]
THC is installed.  Everything is up and running just waiting on chemicals for the table.  I made a couple cuts dry but it makes a mess of the stainless on the water table so probably not a good idea.  

Chems will be here Monday.  

Hope your build is moving along.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#33]
How do you guys deal with cutting things that don't fit on the table? I've heard you can index larger plates with the software but I can't imagine it is very easy? Say you have a 4x4 plate with a big part on it kinda situation. How does that work, will it pick up the cut somehow after the sheet is manually advanced on the table with some kind of indexed stop or will you just have to cut your big part into smaller sections and weld them together?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#34]
There is nothing that prevents overhanging metal on the front or back of the Pro table, so you can physically work with larger pieces than fit on the table, you’re just limited in your cutting space.

You would need to break up the part into different pieces in the software, and re-index the torch between pieces to align everything which sounds tough but really isn’t.  If you wanted to make it dummy proof you could have it make a spot where each piece starts and ends and then re-align to that mark.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Did a couple cuts tonight...the plate is all I have done  6 different speeds just experimental...video is 1/8 steel 1.50 x 1.50 steel square 200imp

@m4dude

So how's yours doing? No complaints here with my 2 hrs of play
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm rock'n 'n' rollin'.   Got wrapped up in a few other projects so haven't spent as much time as I'd like but it's been running 100%.   I've been looking at some of the threads on the forum about a liquid tank under the table, might tinker with that up the road but for now I'm good.

Last week's break-through was; the LS tutorials for Fusion360 say to setup a tool for the plasma cutter with the kerf width and a generic speed, and then each time you do your toolpath and post processing change the speed for the material and thickness.   Instead of doing that, I went back and I created a machine in Fusion360 for the plasma table, and then I created a variety of tools based on the cut chart for my Plasma Cutter.   So for example I have a tool called 1/8" Mild Steel, which now has it's own kerf width and has it's own default speed.   This is a MUUUCCCHHH better way to doing the post processing because not only are all the settings now right at your fingertips and will default correctly, but you can even have different kerf widths for each material and thicknesses so when you leave-material on it'll be more accurate.

Once I stumbled onto this and started doing it, I was poking around the forum and found somebody else had done the same.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top