Our favorite cuts are steaks of course, brisket, Beef roast, Beef ribs

I do want some ground beef but not much-

How do I articulate my breakdown?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for interest
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#2]
This will be well worth the hour it’ll take to watch. The infor should be invaluable for you:
How to Butcher a Cow | ENTIRE BREAKDOWN | by The Bearded Butchers!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the places I know around here give you a sheet you fill out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Chuck roasts
Skirt
Flank
Ribeye
Tenderloin
Sirloin roasts
Picana
Tri tip roasts
Strip loin steaks
Brisket
Short ribs
Grind the rest 85/15
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Sandwich thin cut.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Watch something like this video and get an idea of what all cuts you can get.  Some cuts you're used to will be conflicting, so you can have one or the other

How to Butcher a Cow | ENTIRE BREAKDOWN | by The Bearded Butchers!

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This will be well worth the hour it'll take to watch. The infor should be invaluable for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazg6u3ESco
View Quote
Similar explanation but for swine:
PROFESSIONAL BUTCHERS BREAK DOWN HERITAGE HOG

How To Cut Bacon, Chops, Steaks, Roasts and Sausage from a Pig
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
"I don't know, I just wanted to piss off my vegetarian neighbor. Do you guys deliver on Valentine's day?"
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Ribeye
NY strip
Sirloin steak
Flank
Skirt
Fillet (steaks or whole)
Loin tip roast
Rump roast
Chuck roast
Short ribs
Stew
Cube steak
Grind the rest

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quick list on how I have my beef packaged.
Raise several head a year for custom processing.

Arm Roast Grind 1 pound packages
Chuck Roast 2 pounds/package
Rib eye Steak 1 " thick - 2 per package
Short Ribs Grind 1 pound packages
Soup Bones Yes - trimmed for dog bones
Stew MeatYes1 pound packages
T-Bone Breakdown to Tenderloin and Strip Steaks. 2 Steaks per Package1 " thick - 2 per package
Sirloin Tip Steak
Rump Roast 2 pounds/package
Pikes Peak Roast 2 pounds/package
Top Round Cubed/Tenderized 1 pound packages
Bottom Round Cubed/Tenderized 1 pound packages
Hamburger Patties 15 pounds 1/3 pound patties. 3 Per package
90/10 Ground Beef
Brisket Yes
Organs Yes
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
the same video posted within 2 minutes.  

I was fighting getting the stupid time stamp from where I was watching it last
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Did the butcher shop and/or the farmer you got it from give you a cut sheet?

That should help you out.  If it is your first time (sounds like it is) call them and give them an idea of what you like and what you don't like.  They can definitely help you out.

900 is a smaller beef but should still make for some great freezer meat!

Really need to figure out what steaks you like, such as do you want the full t-bone or would you prefer to have NY strip and Filets?   How do you want the cut?  We like 1", and usually 2 per package.

We usually have the brisket cut up into 1/4s which is about right for a smoking for our family.

We usually do what ever we haven't called out in steaks and roasts to be ground or made into patties.

Also, don't forget to ask for the organs...tongue and heart for sure, and if you are liver fan get that too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
In half
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
990 lbs ribeye
Mmmmm
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#15]
"Just a little off the sides please."

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
You might not like ground but you’re gonna get plenty of it
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:41:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Just tell him to make it all filets! Might as well have the best
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#18]
One 900lb ribeye.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Processor should be giving you a cut sheet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Ribeyes, Brisket, cut the sirloins into steaks. Ground the rest of it and make sure to give me the tongue and liver.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#21]
2/3 steaks & chuck, 1/3 ground.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Call the processor, they will walk you through the process.  How thick the cuts,  number per pack, weight of burger per pack, number of steaks/ roasts vs burger, etc.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

T-Bone Breakdown to Tenderloin and Strip Steaks. 2 Steaks per Package1 " thick - 2 per package
Sirloin Tip Steak
90/10 Ground Beef
Brisket Yes
Organs Yes
View Quote

WTF one inch steaks?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Just ask them what others typically do.  Then take note of what you do and don't want the next time around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sirloin Tip Steak
90/10 Ground Beef
Brisket Yes
Organs Yes
View Quote

Excellent info.
I usually just get awkward and embarrassed and tell them to turn it all into hamburger to end the conversation.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One 900lb ribeye.
View Quote

Holy shit!  Couldn't have said it better.

(meanwhile i was looking for the Flintstones spare-rib picture)
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#27]
beef
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#28]
The last processor put all of our ground meat into plastic tube packages. It was a pain in the ass to use. I much prefer double wrapped in freezer paper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

WTF one inch steaks?
View Quote

What do you get yours cut at?  1.5?

1" is a good thickness for general freezer beef.  Means you get a few more per carcass and you can enjoy them a bit longer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just ask them what others typically do.  Then take note of what you do and don't want the next time around.
View Quote

This, don't fake it because you don't want to look stupid.   You'll end up with the wrong proportion of meat and regret it.  

In our house we use a lot of ground beef (taco night, "cottage pie," meatloaf, chili, etc.) since it is quick and easy.   We probably have some minute steaks in the freezer from 10 years ago that are well past their prime.

You'll figure it out within 1-2 butchering and know exactly what works for you family.   Once you get custom beef you'll never buy from a grocery store again!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:14:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

WTF one inch steaks?
View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Turn it all into beef bacon just like they have in muslim countries.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is how we had our half of a cow processed:

1 pound packages of hamburger. We do 85/15 for hamburger meat. Easier to thaw multiple packages then have too much in larger packages.

2-3 on roasts. Best of the chuck roasts, rump roasts and pikes peak at 2-3 pounds. All that is left gets turned into hamburger.

Brisket: Cut in half. It is a pretty good chunk.  If you don't like it, throw it in the hamburger.

Round steaks: Throw them into the hamburger meat.

Sirloin steaks - Keep the best of them and throw the rest into the hamburger meat

T-bones - Yes please

Ribeyes - Yes please

We get something called beef sticks. Consider it an all natural, requires refrigeration once opened, smoked, stick of delicious beef. VERY GOOD!!  Beef sticks will consume stew meat and other random cuts and pieces.  The beef sticks will also take some away from your hamburger.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Hopefully you got a heiffer and not a cow. After 15 years in the custom slaughter business my advice is buy what you want in the store, on sale.
Unlessss you like your average cost to be $5-7lb for everything from steaks to ground.  Hopefully they don't steal any. Steaks, hamburger and a few roast a year are all most people want. You are not gonna save any money buying some rancher owned, personally jacked off beef.  Even the worst grocery store beef ain't bad if you've eaten enough game, that boutique shit just ain't worth it. Hormone free, antibiotic free whatever, sure.  Whatever makes you feel good. A fool and his money. Shits for suckers.

People are gonna starve when they're ain't someone to kill and process shit for them.

ETA: sorry too many keystone's, should tone it down.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Bite-size pieces
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:59:53 PM EDT
[#36]
You like steaks, prioritize for that. Tell them to cut as many steaks as they can and you'll get the typical assortment in the thickness you want.. Roasts and brisket will put a dent in the ground you'll get, so will things like sticks and jerky-but those get expensive, really fast.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Hopefully you got a heiffer and not a cow. After 15 years in the custom slaughter business my advice is buy what you want in the store, on sale.
Unlessss you like your average cost to be $5-7lb for everything from steaks to ground.  Hopefully they don't steal any. Steaks, hamburger and a few roast a year are all most people want. You are not gonna save any money buying some rancher owned, personally jacked off beef.  Even the worst grocery store beef ain't bad if you've eaten enough game, that boutique shit just ain't worth it. Hormone free, antibiotic free whatever, sure.  Whatever makes you feel good. A fool and his money. Shits for suckers.

People are gonna starve when they're ain't someone to kill and process shit for them.

View Quote

$5-$7 per pound average? We just bought a quarter(split a side with my sister in law)and paid about $3.80 killed, cut and wrapped.

ETA-Even $6 per pound average isn't even horrible. Fucking Walmart hamburger is running $4-$6 per pound depending on fat level.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#38]
My immediate response would be from my smart arse collection ... "with a plasma cutter!"

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:08:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Only the good parts
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:09:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I just got a hind quarter on Saturday. I had to tell him how thick I wanted the steaks and how much I wanted the roasts to weigh. 1# packages of ground beef.

that sort of stuff
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Please use correct terms.  A 900lb cow is most likely a candidate for hamburger.  A 900lb steer is good eating.

Now if it was actually a steer - understand that specific cuts are made from specific parts of the steer.  If you got a hind quarter for instance, you will get no briskets, no chucks, perhaps you will get some some of the loins which can be cut a few ways.  You will also get a shitload of round steak (or hamburger if you grind it).

Sorry about the one error on the map - it is a fucking cow, not a steer.  Steers will put on weight faster, and probably have a better fat ratio.  To get a female to 900lbs, it is going to be older and tougher.  A heifer would probably be slaughtered a bit lighter.  Dad never wanted to waste money slaughtering a steer (which would sell at a higher price) so we ate a lot of young heifers.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:14:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My immediate response would be from my smart arse collection ... "with a plasma cutter!"

View Quote

City boy here.  My first though was "Outside."  Used to get a lot of "Take that disgusting thing outside!"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

$5-$7 per pound average? We just bought a quarter(split a side with my sister in law)and paid about $3.80 killed, cut and wrapped.

ETA-Even $6 per pound average isn't even horrible. Fucking Walmart hamburger is running $4-$6 per pound depending on fat level.
View Quote

Hanging weight, not take home
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Photo of cow not loading.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#45]
If your butcher is worth anything, they'll help you figure out what's best for you. Just tell them, "this is my first time, can you walk me through it?"
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:31:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bite-size pieces
View Quote

Ribeye everything.  A skilled butcher should be able to make every part into a ribeye.  brisket ribeye, shank ribeye, tail ribeye...

If they can't manage that, 100% pink slime.  It all tastes the same going down
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:14:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh?

Sounds like your experience is quite opposite of mine personally and many others here.   A reputable custom slaughter and farm raised beef is a pretty good deal compared to store bought, and at least here in my neck of the woods, better quality beef.

I ain't gonna lie, I am pretty friendly with the steers I raise, including a lot of hand rubbing, but never jacked one off and don't intend to.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Please use correct terms.  A 900lb cow is most likely a candidate for hamburger.  A 900lb steer is good eating.

Now if it was actually a steer - understand that specific cuts are made from specific parts of the steer.  If you got a hind quarter for instance, you will get no briskets, no chucks, perhaps you will get some some of the loins which can be cut a few ways.  You will also get a shitload of round steak (or hamburger if you grind it).

Sorry about the one error on the map - it is a fucking cow, not a steer.  Steers will put on weight faster, and probably have a better fat ratio.  To get a female to 900lbs, it is going to be older and tougher.  A heifer would probably be slaughtered a bit lighter.  Dad never wanted to waste money slaughtering a steer (which would sell at a higher price) so we ate a lot of young heifers.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0914/6382/files/diagram-of-cuts-of-beef-on-cow.png?v=1587575344
View Quote

Our butcher typically won't specify a front or a half quarter unless the customer specifically asked for it.  Usually a 1/4 for us is 1/2 of a half.   His preference is to cut into 1/2's, and then do each half to a specific cut sheet.   If two customer split the 1/2 they basically get 1/2 of everything.  So you could still get brisket and round roast if you wanted it.

I know each shop is different in how they like to manage their cuts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total was $460. Quarters were 220 pounds hanging weight.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#50]
900 pound cow?  Any idea how old the skinny bitch was?  Hamburger is about the only thing that won't be shoe leather.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top