Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2019 9:28:35 PM EDT
man this thing is compact and has a ton of features. I an going to try to video my morning drive to see this 4k 30fps thing and see what it's all about. Then I got to figure out how to edit it and make it nice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Which reminds me, I need to get my GoPro out of the car and see what my dog recorded at CWE7.

BRB.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you plan on filming with it?

I used a Hero 6 to catch the slowmo in this video.
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I shot this with a Hero 7 yesterday morning while walking the dog.  It does a decent job when I do my part.

Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I shot this with a Hero 7 yesterday morning while walking the dog.  It does a decent job when I do my part.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-SD86Tsn/0/e944180a/XL/i-SD86Tsn-XL.jpg
View Quote
Very nice colors!
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like the Hero 7 I got thanks to the Walmart clearance thread here
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged
Link Posted: 10/15/2019 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I really like the Hero 7 I got thanks to the Walmart clearance thread here
View Quote
Nice, how much was it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have no clue how to edit videos, I am not expecting them to be on a professional level but I  would like to learn how to make nice videos.  I did notice a few things today.
1- This thing gets hot, and I mean the whole camera, and not war, hot.
2- the battery on normal video setting with 4k and 30fps will not last 50 minutes.

I have a lot to learn about using these but I have time to figure out how to set this up and make things look good. Since I have Fedora as a OS I am using openshot as my primary editor, well plan to once I figure out how.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have no clue how to edit videos, I am not expecting them to be on a professional level but I  would like to learn how to make nice videos.  I did notice a few things today.
1- This thing gets hot, and I mean the whole camera, and not war, hot.
2- the battery on normal video setting with 4k and 30fps will not last 50 minutes.

I have a lot to learn about using these but I have time to figure out how to set this up and make things look good. Since I have Fedora as a OS I am using openshot as my primary editor, well plan to once I figure out how.
View Quote
I got a Hero5 Black when they first came out.

Great camera and I have used it for all sorts of stuff.

I started editing with GoPro's software but they quit supporting it and I never really liked it anyway.

I have been using Adobe Photoshop Premiere Elements for a year or so and like it much better.

Any software is going to take time to learn but there are tons of Youtube tutorials that will help you.

When I first tried to edit videos I found out that my computer was not up to the task at all.

Ended having to buy a new computer that was way more expensive than the camera.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]
My computer is getting a bit dated.  I had to massively slow down the 240fps video I took before my computer could play it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I am debating to put Windows 10 back on this pc. I have a lenovo P51 laptop here are the specs, I think I should be good, right?  I bought it for doing IT work and digital forensics.

Intel® Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz × 8
Intel® HD Graphics P530 (Skylake GT2) / NV117
3 1tb SSD
64gb of Ram
4K resolution screen
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I got the corel videostudio for editing my videos.  I'm not trying to make a living or anything so it's good enough for what I do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am debating to put Windows 10 back on this pc. I have a lenovo P51 laptop here are the specs, I think I should be good, right?  I bought it for doing IT work and digital forensics.

3 1tb SSD
64gb of Ram
4K resolution screen
View Quote
Holy shit.  I thought I was a baller when I put 16gb in my last build.
But that was 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Holy shit.  I thought I was a baller when I put 16gb in my last build.
But that was 10 years ago.
View Quote
When I ordered my laptop I made sure everything was as low as it could be so I could upgrade everything and save some money there. This laptop is a almost 2 yars old and there is no signs of it slowing down. I love it. I just want a gaming laptop so I am now looking at Alienware or MSI.  I am getting ready to put Redhat on my server and see of I can do any editing on that, until I can get my Ryzen system built. I actually want a P52 or 53 also, I think they can handle 128gb of Ram.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I get depressed when I think about getting a GoPro and then realize I do nothing worth recording. And I can get them at cost.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

3 1tb SSD
64gb of Ram
4K resolution screen
View Quote
I'm not a computer person so I'm not going to be much help.

I did some research before I bought a new computer a couple years ago.

This is what I have and it works great. Not sure how that compares to yours.

Intel Core i7 6700K @4.0GHz 4 cores
16GB Ram
Nvida GForce GTX 1070 GPU
1 T SSD
1 T HHD

Edited to add: I may have over done it a bit but wanted to be able to do VR stuff with it also.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I was going to digital forensics. so that's why my laptop has the specs that it does. if I were to get another laptop I would just get a 1300-1500 alienware they come wit great specs.

The second camera is on it's way I just got shipping notification. I don't plan on making any money I do want to make some videos while we are off roading and out adventuring.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I used to have one. It was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I am going to attempt to record the meteor shower next week, if I figure out edit I will post the video or post some of the pics.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I am going to attempt to record the meteor shower next week, if I figure out edit I will post the video or post some of the pics.
View Quote
I haven't tried a meteor shower but I thought about it.

I make a lot of videos of me out in my boat just screwing around.

Really like time lapse videos, mostly of clouds and rain showers.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice, how much was it?
View Quote
IIrc it was $74

Now I just need to find one of those Skydio drones on clearance that you posted a thread about

ETA:  I'm an idiot, I just looked at the box it came in....it's a GoPro Hero 5 Black
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

IIrc it was $74

Now I just need to find one of those Skydio drones on clearance that you posted a thread about
View Quote
That's awesome, I would have bought it too.

I don't think you'll be so lucky with a skydio
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you take advantage of the $100 discount for trading another camera in?
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the Hero 7 black that I use all the time for my kids skateboarding. Shoots good video and nice pictures, but I don’t know where to start when editing video.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's awesome, I would have bought it too.

I don't think you'll be so lucky with a skydio
View Quote
No me either....and if I end up with one, I'm blaming you and GD
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Did you take advantage of the $100 discount for trading another camera in?
View Quote
No, I got a code for 25% off a hero 7 and when I put a 8 in the cart it dropped the price from 399 to 299.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No me either....and if I end up with one, I'm blaming you and GD
View Quote
I'm going to end up getting one. Not sure when, though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
man this thing is compact and has a ton of features. I an going to try to video my morning drive to see this 4k 30fps thing and see what it's all about. Then I got to figure out how to edit it and make it nice.
View Quote
I think the gopro's are awesome....the only thing that sucks about the super high quality video they take is that you damn near need a super computer to deal with and edit the video files. They are HUGE!!  Make sure your laptop or PC has a ton of RAM, or it's going to take your forever to mess around with the video files.  I have a pretty new, and fast laptop......and sometimes I just have to walk away and let it process the files for 30+ minutes before I can edit them. They are gigantic.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#29]
If you guys have a college email you can sign up for Unidays and get a discount. or contact them and say you are interested and see if they give you a discount and it will be 25% off.   here is a code that I used I am not sure if it's a one time thing so by all means try it.

CUUS-VXQ4-TC3P-ZD4K-664T

Also peop post unused codes on gopro's reddit page but people seem to be jumping on them since it takes 100 bucks off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#30]
The thing to remember when filming, is that you are telling a story.  It can be a very short, simple story, but it should have a beginning, a middle and an end. It's very easy to end up with gigabytes of unwatchable material because you don't edit it into a story.

Gopros are very wide angle, and have to be close to what you are filming to be interesting (unless it's really big).

Having two, or even three cameras can make it much more interesting, as you can cut between cameras in real time for the best, or most interesting views.  You MUST learn to edit, or your video will be painful like dental surgery.

Gopro as a product lost me as a customer years ago because they put so many (unneeded) features in the cameras, it drove the prices up.  All I want is a durable camera with high quality video...nothing else... no GPS, no instant upload to instragram, nothing.  I want a camera that's cheap enough to loose or break one from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I just use Windows movie Maker with my hero 3
Link Posted: 10/16/2019 10:41:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The thing to remember when filming, is that you are telling a story.  It can be a very short, simple story, but it should have a beginning, a middle and an end. It's very easy to end up with gigabytes of unwatchable material because you don't edit it into a story.

Gopros are very wide angle, and have to be close to what you are filming to be interesting (unless it's really big).

Having two, or even three cameras can make it much more interesting, as you can cut between cameras in real time for the best, or most interesting views.  You MUST learn to edit, or your video will be painful like dental surgery.

Gopro as a product lost me as a customer years ago because they put so many (unneeded) features in the cameras, it drove the prices up.  All I want is a durable camera with high quality video...nothing else... no GPS, no instant upload to instragram, nothing.  I want a camera that's cheap enough to loose or break one from time to time.
View Quote
One thing I have learned is to keep most things short. Cut, cut, cut.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well My 2nd 8 will be here tomorrow. I plan on using 2 and making overlanding videos. Nothing fancy just me and my family traveling to all the national Parks and state trails and our adventures. I have no plans to be like Casey Nistant or who ever that guy is.   I do have a Samsung 360 camera, and a Nikon also for filming and pictures. I just have no clue what I am doing.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:37:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Two GoPros facing opposite directions for the cloud footage, and a DSLR for the Milky Way footage.

This is just a draft to check exposure, no effort was put into edit cuts.  5 more days of this stuff just from this one outing.  It'll get done, eventually.

Wind River Range, Glacier Trail
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Two GoPros facing opposite directions for the cloud footage, and a DSLR for the Milky Way footage.

This is just a draft to check exposure, no effort was put into edit cuts.  5 more days of this stuff just from this one outing.  It'll get done, eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G-rqqrdqnk
View Quote
Beautiful imagery!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Beautiful imagery!
View Quote
YouTube seriously degrades the bit depth of non-monetized content.  I don't know if you can see it in this video, but a bolide is captured on the right side of the image, and you can see the expanding, glowing debris cloud.  It's about 10 frames, and goes by quickly.  I'll see if I can make a .gif out of those 10 frames.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Holy crap!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I get depressed when I think about getting a GoPro and then realize I do nothing worth recording. And I can get them at cost.
View Quote
You're my new best friend!
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Hero 7 2.7k 60fps getting shit on by youtube

Above 1080@60fps on youtube often has artifacts from their compression

Finding the right bit rate to encode at is half the battle if you are trying to upload to youtube.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you using video time lapse or still images?
Link Posted: 10/18/2019 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#42]
The New 8 arrived, not bad.  2 day shipping. I guess they filled all the pre orders.  I am planning on leaving it in the box until I figure how to use he 1st one I got and know what I am doing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time lapse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top