Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2016 10:28:21 AM EDT
Haven't brewed in a few years, but we bought a house this fall with a nice big garage so now I have space for my hobbies.

I picked up a 15gal Anvil Brewing Kettle off amazon and stuff to convert a 10gal Igloo into a false bottom mash tun.

Previous batches have always used extract but I've always wanted to do all-grain. I have this annoying aversion to perceived shortcuts when it comes to cooking, but whatever.  All-grain is looking to be a fair bit cheaper, too.

Anyone else using a similar setup?

I plan on bottling 90% of my brew into 22oz bomber bottles. I have some larger flip tops that will be used too.
I'd love to do the keg route but I don't have room for a kegerator.  That's what I've been told anyways.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Make room for a keggerator.  Hit the backpage for a deal.  

Are you gonna ferment in the Anvil?  I use buckets and carboys so I can have several different batches going at the same time.  

The next time I brew, I will use the same mash hardware you describe.  I will also pick up a copper chiller.  The wait before pitching yeast is too time consuming.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Haven't brewed in a few years, but we bought a house this fall with a nice big garage so now I have space for my hobbies.

I picked up a 15gal Anvil Brewing Kettle off amazon and stuff to convert a 10gal Igloo into a false bottom mash tun.

Previous batches have always used extract but I've always wanted to do all-grain. I have this annoying aversion to perceived shortcuts when it comes to cooking, but whatever.  All-grain is looking to be a fair bit cheaper, too.

Anyone else using a similar setup?
View Quote

Same here ^^^

Have not made beer since the 90's when I turned 21. Made hard cider every few years...
Guy I work with brews and got me back into it. I am sick of paying $64 a week for good beer.
I like good IPAs, not the super hoppy ones, but good local brews.

Since last August 2016:

Picked up a Bayou classic SS 15 gallon pot with spigot on ebay for $76.
False bottom for it at homedepot for $39 shipped.
Got a 220v 5500w stainless element & triclover from brew hardware for $90.
A 12 pack got the element port welded by a buddy of mine who is a welder.
Picked up three used ball lock kegs locally for $100.
Going to BIAB so another $25 on a bag.

Building the controller over the next month. And hopefully will be brewing by June or July.

Just got taxes back so looking for a used chest freezer for a keezer. Just going to use picnic taps.
Going to pickup a CO2 tank, regulator setup for 3 kegs.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same here ^^^

Have not made beer since the 90's when I turned 21. Made hard cider every few years...
Guy I work with brews and got me back into it. I am sick of paying $64 a week for good beer.
I like good IPAs, not the super hoppy ones, but good local brews.

Since last August 2016:

Picked up a Bayou classic SS 15 gallon pot with spigot on ebay for $76.
False bottom for it at homedepot for $39 shipped.
Got a 220v 5500w stainless element & triclover from brew hardware for $90.
A 12 pack got the element port welded by a buddy of mine who is a welder.
Picked up three used ball lock kegs locally for $100.
Going to BIAB so another $25 on a bag.

Building the controller over the next month. And hopefully will be brewing by June or July.

Just got taxes back so looking for a used chest freezer for a keezer. Just going to use picnic taps.
Going to pickup a CO2 tank, regulator setup for 3 kegs.

Cheers!
View Quote
@BigEdThree

Made anything decent in the last year?

Bout to get into kegging and considering my options for that investment. Kegco has some decent prices on 5gal pony kegs which would be ideal for my setup.

Edit: I can't believe this didn't get archived
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Make room for a keggerator.  Hit the backpage for a deal.

Are you gonna ferment in the Anvil?  I use buckets and carboys so I can have several different batches going at the same time.

The next time I brew, I will use the same mash hardware you describe.  I will also pick up a copper chiller.  The wait before pitching yeast is too time consuming.
View Quote
Yeah chilling the beer with a good stainless coil takes 10 mins tops, Idk that copper is necessary!

I ferment in glass carboys. I bought a couple wide mouth Kegco carboys that I am looking forward to trying out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you're going all grain, buy a grain mill.  Having control of your crush is one of the big things when it comes to efficiency in AG home brewing.  A good thermometer is a must also. Way more important than in extract brewing.
View Quote
I crush it at the supply store.. seems pretty standard. Temp is on point already.. I'm within 1-2* of my target mash. What will owning my own mill provide, supposing it's the same top of the line model my brewing supply place has?
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been building my home brewery since November. Got the northern brewer false bottom cooler kit and a 15 gallon economy kettle and a wort chiller . It’s become apparent that I’m going to need some type of pre chiller here in Oklahoma as my ground water is too warm.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top