Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/23/2021 3:02:25 PM EDT
Mrs Rabinowitz and I returned yesterday from 5 days in Cancun.  Here are the highlights.

1.  Stayed at RIU Palace Peninsula.  It is the nicest, cleanest place I have ever stayed.  The grounds were spotless. When you enter, you get your temp checked and your hands jelled.

2. All inclusive...drinks, gratuities, entertainment.   We spent about $1100 for the week.

3. Wanted a drink? It was brought promptly. Need extra towels?  At your door in 5 minutes.

4. The staff was friendly, greeted us often, and asked if there was anything we wanted.

5.  Weather was spectacular.

6.  Flight was cheap on American from Dallas.  It was $300 per person round trip.

7. Very little obvious security anywhere.  Three years ago there was a lot of high vis stuff as in M2 mounted  on  pickups and Federales all the way from the airport to the resort. This time I think I saw 2 cop cars in 5 days.

8. When on the very clean beaches, people selling excursions and wraps came by at least every 10 minutes.

9.  Very few old people.  We are in our mid 60s and were two of the oldest. Resort was not crowded.

10. Most people need to lose  weight.  Some of the young women were wearing tongs. Some of then shouldn't.

Any questions?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone offer you drugs or hookers?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have to tip for drinks, meals, etc at an "All inclusive" resort?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone offer you drugs or hookers?
View Quote

No.  Had to bring our own Tylenol, too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
But did you die?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Rid Palace is usually a no brainer for nice resorts.  The one in Cabo San Lucas is very nice.  I’m closer to Cancun and Cozumel but like Cabo because the humidity is lower.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Do you have to tip for drinks, meals, etc at an "All inclusive" resort?
View Quote

No, but we did.  We took lots of $1s with us.  We tipped anyone who moved our luggage for us. Our standard is a buck a bag.  We tipped the waiters and waitresses who brought us drinks but not for every drink at the same setting.

We had a great meal at their steakhouse.  We tipped $5.

We tipped the shuttle driver.  Fifty bucks to us is really insignificant.  A couple of 1s to someone in Cancun is nice.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice.  We stayed at the Riu Palace Riviera Maya 3 yrs ago and enjoyed it a lot. Out front below the driveway where you walked into the lobby, there was a little convenience store that sold all kinds of things including prescription drugs/medicines.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Good that you had some fun in the middle of all this bullshit.

Makes me miss our yearly Cozumel trips in the 70's.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rid Palace is usually a no brainer for nice resorts.  The one in Cabo San Lucas is very nice.  I’m closer to Cancun and Cozumel but like Cabo because the humidity is lower.
View Quote

It's a Spanish owned chain...and a big one.  You get serious, continental service and cleanliness.

We plan to return.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Pics of thongs please.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the food change at the buffets, or is it pretty much the same menu every day?

Our cruise got cancelled so we're considering an all inclusive but have never been to one and don't know what to expect. Thanks for the responses!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pics of thongs please.
View Quote

No. I have eyes only for Mrs Rabinowitz except for an occasional glance. She thinks it's funny when I look.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]
All inclusive hotel in Cancun I stayed had lots of women topless around the pool and beach.  See any?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does the food change at the buffets, or is it pretty much the same menu every day?

Our cruise got cancelled so we're considering an all inclusive but have never been to one and don't know what to expect. Thanks for the responses!
View Quote

Only ate there for breakfast.  The selection was huge, the hot stuff cooked in front of you, and the chilled stuff fresh. Best buffet I've ever been to.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#15]
would you have felt safe staying at a private rental home somewhere along the beach?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:19:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All inclusive hotel in Cancun I stayed had lots of women topless around the pool and beach.  See any?
View Quote

No. But given the figures of most women, I am thankful.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
would you have felt safe staying at a private rental home somewhere along the beach?
View Quote

Can't honestly say.  I never felt unsafe. Never heard sirens or saw any trouble.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Headed to the same resort next week. Thanks for the update
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Would someone find enough to stay entertained/busy if they spent 6-7 days on the property? Is there a relatively safe local area off property to visit?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Steakhouse was great. The in house Mex restaurant was good. The seafood was great.

We have been on several cruises. The entertainment on board is much better. We have more fun on a ship but much better food and relaxation at this resort.

The resort was cleaner and much less like a floating Walmart.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Would someone find enough to stay entertained/busy if they spent 6-7 days on the property? Is there a relatively safe local area off property to visit?
View Quote

We didn't go downtown. I assume young people would be able to have safe fun. We were not warned about anything other than the virus.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
But did you die?
View Quote

I got a little too much sun one day if that matters. Also, no diarrhea,  rashes, or fevers.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:46:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds fun.  

All inclusives are really the only true vacation for me.

No stress, or running around.  Just eating, drinking and relaxing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]
We were in Cancun mid-October of 2020.  Similar experiences, great time.

Next time you go, look into the Valentin Imperial Rivieria Maya.  First time my wife and I went, it was recommended by this place and it was incredible.  We've been back two other times and honestly don't even consider staying anywhere else when planning our next trip.

So to your question....what was your favorite dish?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We were in Cancun mid-October of 2020.  Similar experiences, great time.

Next time you go, look into the Valentin Imperial Rivieria Maya.  First time my wife and I went, it was recommended by this place and it was incredible.  We've been back two other times and honestly don't even consider staying anywhere else when planning our next trip.

So to your question....what was your favorite dish?
View Quote

Seared tuna and some exotic rice dish.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Tonto living life... and winning.

You have a lovely bride.  God bless you both.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:52:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tonto living life... and winning.

You have a lovely bride.  God bless you both.
View Quote

Mrs Rabinowitz is a joy to be with.  God has been gracious unto me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Stayed there before, and had a great time.  If you run down each morning and make a dinner reservation, you can have nice dinners in the on property restaurants, still included, and you can dodge the buffet.  Buffet is okay for breakfast or lunch, but the restaurants are much better for dinner.  Had a good time there, and will go back again.  We ran through about $100 in singles and fives for tips, and wanted for nothing.  Even hopped the bus and went shopping around town, no issues.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Didja see bajagringo?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Those RIUs are nice. Glad you had a good trip. I bet it felt good to get out of the house.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Does the airport in Cancun still have that video game like button you push that randomly selects you for screening?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#32]
did you leave he resort or could you if you wanted to?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I used to go to moon palace every couple of years.

1500 for two people for a week. 7 days was way too long though.

Five days were perfect
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:30:04 PM EDT
[#34]
What kind of entertainment or off site stuff did you do or would recommend?

Late 30's couple here who would like to do something just like this soon.

We have only ever done a cruise to Western Caribbean before but we really loved the cruise being it was all inclusive and had the entertainment.

So, really just curious about things to do besides eat and drink.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Didja see bajagringo?
View Quote

I guess not.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Does the airport in Cancun still have that video game like button you push that randomly selects you for screening?
View Quote

No. Easy to enter and leave. Just make sure you have your Mexican-issued visa.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
did you leave he resort or could you if you wanted to?
View Quote

Took the bus to another beach. $25MP one way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No. I have eyes only for Mrs Rabinowitz except for an occasional glance. She thinks it's funny when I look.
View Quote

Good on you for setting this example here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Glad you had a good time.  You deserved it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What kind of entertainment or off site stuff did you do or would recommend?

Late 30's couple here who would like to do something just like this soon.

We have only ever done a cruise to Western Caribbean before but we really loved the cruise being it was all inclusive and had the entertainment.

So, really just curious about things to do besides eat and drink.
View Quote

We are 63 & 65. We don't party. We want to dance C&W, Latin, and ballroom. No place at the resort though we did go to the end of an unused hallway and dance on our own.

Resort entertainment is okay but not even close to a Carnival cruise.

There are places for young people nearby.  A resort is sun, sand, food, drink, and relaxation,  all inclusive is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve played that game won every time lol. The real gauntlet is the taxi/bus drivers when you get outside. Duck dive bob and weave.

ETA nice pic Tonto.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Glad you had a good time.  You deserved it!
View Quote

Nice of you to say, but if I got what I deserved,  I'd be living under a bridge eating squirrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plan on getting a Wuhan flu test before you return home.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Plan on getting a Wuhan flu test before you return home.
View Quote

Starting the 26th it's probably going to be chaos.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Cancun is a pretty lame town for Mexico.  It doesn't have an 'old center' with character, it's just a city for workers who keep the hotels going.  There is not much to see there... but the neighborhood is nice.

Go to Tulum to see ancient ruins, or Chichen Itza for more.  Isla Mujeres is really cool, it's small, has character, and is fun.  Rent a golf cart and drive the whole thing.  I went to an 'amusement park' called 'Xcaret', which really isn't my style, but had a great time anyway.  Pretty amazing place, really.  There are a bunch of adventure parks, and cenotes (fresh water holes in the ground, sometimes connected to caves). There are hundreds of them, you can swim, some have scuba diving.  Give the place a solid google and you'll find a lot to do there.

I like to rent a car so I can drive, but it adds an extra layer of adventure to the experience.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#46]
My wife and I love Mexico and usually go a couple times a year to Playa del Carmen. We were at a Riu Palace last year and it was very nice. Someone else mentioned the Valentin Imperial and I have to agree, it was one of the nicest all inclusive resorts we've been to down there. We were just there in January and are planning to go back in May.

We often will take a taxi to downtown Playa del Carmen to check out the shops and restaurants and always feel pretty safe. Some of the shop owners can be a bit annoying when walking the main strip cause they all want you to come in but you just politely decline and keep walking. I just wouldn't wander too far off the beaten path and stick to the busier more populated areas if I'm off the resort.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like you and the Mrs had a wonderful time. If you haven’t been,I would recommend the Caymans or the Bahamas.for your next getaway. Simply breathtaking.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#48]
How much was it per night?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I used to go to moon palace every couple of years.

1500 for two people for a week. 7 days was way too long though.

Five days were perfect
View Quote

We went to Moon Palace for our honeymoon when it first opened in the late 90’s.    It was a beautiful place.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks op. Wife and I had plans last year but shit went to shit...this year just seemed kind of up in the air..we were thinking Cabo (again).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top