Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2020 10:19:05 PM EDT
So wires bother me, and I don't like zip ties either. So I decided to do something about it.

Here are the JAWS.

Two different systems to fix the same issue. The one on the tan upper was the original design. The one on the black upper is a more 3D printer friendly version (pictured is carbon fiber HTPLA).

STEP files can be found here.

Backstory, I was thinking of patenting these but I honestly don't have the time or need to do something like that. So I am releasing them under a pretty permissive license (Was originally going to be CERN license but whatever). Honestly at the end of the day I just want to get these injection molded so I can have tan parts on my tan rifle.

Should be getting some prototypes made out of glass filled nylon in black soon. Instead of spending money on lawyers and other boring stuff if anyone has any leads or capability to injection molds, let me know. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, and a bit more info. Both versions can fit up to three cables. The wave is to keep the cables from coming out. At the end of the day there could be an aluminum version but that is a bit overkill for something holding in wires.

Each will add about 6mm or .23 inches of girth to your grip. For comparison, RailScales are about .125 inches.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What holds it to the rail?  Some kind of M-lock compatible thing on the back?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What holds it to the rail?  Some kind of M-lock compatible thing on the back?
View Quote

Correct. On the non-wave one the clips are a bit bigger because you have flex on the tab and the main body.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, the wave one has directionality. When installed side by side the wave is supposed to be continuous. This setup is still a bit less common unless you are running really long cables like maybe 9” out of a TAPS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Just added STL files and some pictures to the git repo.

For the people without STL/STEP viewers. Here are some pictures of the design. As an aside in Windows you can use Microsoft 3D Viewer to view STL files. If you have it installed you right click the STL -> Open with -> 3D Viewer.

Link Posted: 10/28/2020 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2020 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool design.

I honestly think you would have had troubles getting a utility patent. A utility patent needs to show a 'new and profound' thing or design that fixes a problem, and even as you said in your thread title; "Just Another Wiring System" indicating that it is very similar to other designs, and not fixing any issues those other designs present.

You would most likely had to get a design patent, but I'm not sure how copy-resistant those are.

In any case, cool design!
View Quote

Ahh, that was a typo. I was going to call it "Just A Wiring System" just to be able to use JAWS as a name (At least I got the name right on github, lol). But I agree, there is nothing "new and profound" about it and funny enough I have seen some designs pop up recently. Maybe multiple people got annoyed with cables around the same time. Haa. Hopefully by open sourcing it people can modify it to fit other rails like CMR, keymod, etc.

I need to set up a kickstarter to injection mold some in black and tan. That's all I want out of this.

I know TNVC and another company were trying to solve this as well, I still think this design is cooler.

Also, from what I have heard design patents are not as copy-resistant. Basically someone could have copied the thing entirely, changes the texture on top, and that's it. No longer a copy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice work 13'er

Edit: 13'er is in reference to your join date, which was a dark time in ARFCOM history. Think 20'ers but (oddly) with more class.

Really, I like your design and I'm equally impressed that you put it on GitHub.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice work 13'er

Edit: 13'er is in reference to your join date, which was a dark time in ARFCOM history. Think 20'ers but (oddly) with more class.

Really, I like your design and I'm equally impressed that you put it on GitHub.
View Quote

Ohhhh, gotcha. Thanks.

Threw another project up there for the people with Arc rails and TNVC mohawks.

https://github.com/fernilab/shockhawk
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Good looking designs. I just ordered a printer and was working on the learning curve. Out of curiosity, what orientation are you printing those on? If it was tabs down, how are you handling the overhangs? Thanks for helping a noob out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good looking designs. I just ordered a printer and was working on the learning curve. Out of curiosity, what orientation are you printing those on? If it was tabs down, how are you handling the overhangs? Thanks for helping a noob out.
View Quote

I print them upright. In this case I also used supports and with the HTPLA I was using they were relatively easy to remove.

Link Posted: 10/31/2020 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
can you post the STL or the original files, or a link to them , those are a great idea, I have a need with external battery support for a thermal.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
can you post the STL or the original files, or a link to them , those are a great idea, I have a need with external battery support for a thermal.
View Quote

Here is the link. https://github.com/fernilab/JAWS
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#14]
This has been a ton of fun. I was able to reduce the price of the mold from about 8k to 2k.

Anybody have experience injection molding? I am trying to figure out a way to cover the holes here. Wondering if overmolding could cover those up, or maybe I make caps for them and then friction weld? I have no idea, I am not an enginerd.

I was thinking of snap joints too (mock showed on pictured) but I don't know if I want to do that, etc. :thinking-emoji:
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This has been a ton of fun. I was able to reduce the price of the mold from about 8k to 2k.

Anybody have experience injection molding? I am trying to figure out a way to cover the holes here. Wondering if overmolding could cover those up, or maybe I make caps for them and then friction weld? I have no idea, I am not an enginerd.

https://i.imgur.com/PR8KvHW.jpg

I was thinking of snap joints too (mock showed on pictured) but I don't know if I want to do that, etc. :thinking-emoji:
View Quote

If you make a cover that snaps on you can sell them in different colors. Of course now you need a second mold and multiple SKUs.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you make a cover that snaps on you can sell them in different colors. Of course now you need a second mold and multiple SKUs.
View Quote

That sounds good. I am going to read up more on overmolding. It would be nice to add a more grippy material on the outside.

If not like you said, caps might be the way to go.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That sounds good. I am going to read up more on overmolding. It would be nice to add a more grippy material on the outside.

If not like you said, caps might be the way to go.
View Quote

I don’t know much about overmolding but I’d bet that the cost of the mold to do that will go up exponentially over your previous design.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, this is an awesome design!  I may be able to help with the injection molding,  i build injection molding machines and the company i work for also does mold design and build.  you can contact me via email and i will be glad to assist and or get you in touch with the right people.

Eric
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don’t know much about overmolding but I’d bet that the cost of the mold to do that will go up exponentially over your previous design.
View Quote

I just got a book on injection molding and O M G. My respect to all engineers out there. Even snap joints are like a freaking science to make well. Coo MIT paper on snap joints here http://fab.cba.mit.edu/classes/S62.12/people/vernelle.noel/Plastic_Snap_fit_design.pdf.

Quoted:
OP, this is an awesome design!  I may be able to help with the injection molding,  i build injection molding machines and the company i work for also does mold design and build.  you can contact me via email and i will be glad to assist and or get you in touch with the right people.

Eric
View Quote

Oh awesome! Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#20]
So I could just add a texture like this and leave the "windows" open. (It will keep the mold super cheap)

or add caps like @Fallen mentioned like this. (Still need to test out the snap joints). Wanted to add a texture but might as well make up a logo, lol.

My goal with injection molding these is mostly a learning exercise. Potentially an expensive exercise but oh well.

As long as I make back the money I use for the mold and parts I am probably ok.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 2:53:46 AM EDT
[#21]
So I tried to print the V25 and after the Mlok portion when the printer attempted to build of that for the flat layer the layer was just melting down in some areas. Therefore creating uneven layers not sticking. I am using PLA+ 1.75. Been printing everything else ok. I wonder if this file would print better if printed with eh top side down? I am new to printing so I could have done this wrong.

EDIT: I just learned how to use the "supports" option in slic3r. Ill be giving this another go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top