Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2020 9:21:44 PM EDT
I fell back on May 5th. I fell 8 ft and landed on my head and left shoulder. It curled me over and busted my sternum, cut an artery and required basically open heart surgery to repair.
I've been back to work since July 13th and haven't had any problems lifting doing pull ups, push ups things like that but I'm nervous to get back to the gym next week to start back on my training. Any opinions? Anyone else done similar and gotten back into it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Something gonna kill you.

Might as well get on with it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 3:11:36 AM EDT
[#2]
what did your Quack say?

might start in the kids class  ;)
Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what did your Quack say?

might start in the kids class  ;)
View Quote

Honestly I didn't ask. The Heart Surgeon said the bone would be healed and stronger than before four weeks from when he split me open. I've been doing mma for three years and I've never been through the kind of pain I had. Just nervous I guess. I'm sure I'll survive. Just don't want to bust it again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 4:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
i'd at least email the quack & get a quick opinion.

you probably are fine, but start out easy.

definitely tell your Sensei about it, so they can be mindful while you get back into it  ;)
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Talk to your doctor before getting on the mats.

Your going to have to have a physical and disclose the surgery before you step in the cage again. The doc that works the promotion local to me goes over everyone with a fine tooth comb, he does more than just check bloodwork.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I fell back on May 5th. I fell 8 ft and landed on my head and left shoulder. It curled me over and busted my sternum, cut an artery and required basically open heart surgery to repair.
I've been back to work since July 13th and haven't had any problems lifting doing pull ups, push ups things like that but I'm nervous to get back to the gym next week to start back on my training. Any opinions? Anyone else done similar and gotten back into it?
View Quote

What did your doctor/ surgeon say?
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Talk to your doctor. It may just be a matter of time passing, but get the sign off. My doc made me quit, but I didn't need him to tell me. Back broken in a few places, taking a month off to recover for every week of training just to end up worse later. I still itch for it, but I can do everything else I like for the rest of my life...within reason.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Ask Sean Hannity...he's an MMA expert right?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Got the call back from the heart surgeon yesterday. He said 6 months to return to normal activity and kickboxing and jujitsu are not normal activities. He said no blows to the chest, no throws to the mat and no knees or real ressure to my chest. He said take it easy and give it a few more months before trying to go hard. Call if I started hurting and it doesn't go away in a couple of days.
I have been going to the classes but I've not sparred or rolled yet just waiting on his advise. I'm going to heed his advice and just go to the training. No rolling or sparring until spring.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 11:21:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Talk to your doctor. It may just be a matter of time passing, but get the sign off. My doc made me quit, but I didn't need him to tell me. Back broken in a few places, taking a month off to recover for every week of training just to end up worse later. I still itch for it, but I can do everything else I like for the rest of my life...within reason.
View Quote

Ouch sorry to hear that. What happened if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parachuting and combat zone stuff. It was a pretty good time.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Remember to tap early and often.  It's just like voting.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 1:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Parachuting and combat zone stuff. It was a pretty good time.
View Quote

Sounds like you got fucked up doing what you love.  But seriously sorry to hear that. Hope all is well.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 1:33:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Remember to tap early and often.  It's just like voting.
View Quote

Everyone knows the issue and we've been going 50 percent max. I do notice that I gas really fast which was not me before. I guess time and work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, flow roll is your best friend right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top