User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The XM21 was first fielded in the 2nd half of 1969.

King was shot in April 1968.
View Quote

I took note of that also. Seems it was fielded in Nam in '69. How long before then was the configuration developed is what I can't get a clear answer on.

Wiki says in service since '68 but fielded in Nam in the 2nd half of '69 for whatever it's worth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

To me, this sounds like the perfect fall guy. You can't really get any better than this unless you came across someone with a history of violent criminal offenses that just happens to not be serving a term in prison already.
View Quote

Ha dude you be messed up, dude you do this and your family is set.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Some do. But those were on SMGs IIRC.
View Quote

No, suppressors have nothing to do with reducing velocity.

You may be thinking of guns like the HK MP5SD which utilizes a series of ports drilled into the barrel just ahead of the chamber to bleed off gasses to reduce velocity to subsonic levels. Essentially turning a 9mm round into a .380, ballistics wise.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's say for the sake of argument that MLK was killed at the direction of our government.

If I was in charge of the FBI or CIA or whatever secret black ops agency, and I wanted to assassinate some dude, and then frame some lowlife racist for it, I would probably skip the whole "framing" thing and just find a lowlife racist who already thinks killing the guy would be swell. Get a plainclothes agent purporting to be friendly to "the cause" to talk to the guy and nudge him over the edge into doing it, then disappear and throw him under the bus.

That seems easier and more plausibly deniable than using an experimental weapon with a silencer to snipe the guy, while also shooting a regular gun to make the gunshot sound witnesses heard, at the same time as a lowlife racist is staying in a room across the street. And tricking said lowlife into fleeing the scene after getting his fingerprints on a rifle left nearby.

But I don't know, I've never been in that business.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
By a Democrat no doubt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't think anyone has raised any conspiracies here? The video is an account from a primary source (an actual Judge involved with the case) and everyone else seems to be discussing or presenting actual historical accounts.

Did you read the thread "tard"
View Quote

It is a conspiracy. To claim the government killed him. It would require a government conspiracy.

Conspiracy does happen. But MLK wasn't killed by a suppressed XM21 with subsonic ammo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if you need to only take a single shot.  Plus you could run one with the gas system off for increased stealth and hand cycling for follow up shots.
View Quote

Then why not use a rifle designed for manual use?

Marines used Model 70s in that time period, which were more accurate anyway.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let's say for the sake of argument that MLK was killed at the direction of our government.

If I was in charge of the FBI or CIA or whatever secret black ops agency, and I wanted to assassinate some dude, and then frame some lowlife racist for it, I would probably skip the whole "framing" thing and just find a lowlife racist who already thinks killing the guy would be swell. Get a plainclothes agent purporting to be friendly to "the cause" to talk to the guy and nudge him over the edge into doing it, then disappear and throw him under the bus.

That seems easier and more plausibly deniable than using an experimental weapon with a silencer to snipe the guy, while also shooting a regular gun to make the gunshot sound witnesses heard, at the same time as a lowlife racist is staying in a room across the street. And tricking said lowlife into fleeing the scene after getting his fingerprints on a rifle left nearby.

View Quote

The files they kept on him were probably enough to have discredited and tarnished him for life............even some of his own former associates verified some of what was rumored to be in them
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I took note of that also. Seems it was fielded in Nam in '69. How long before then was the configuration developed is what I can't get a clear answer on.

Wiki says in service since '68 but fielded in Nam in the 2nd half of '69 for whatever it's worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In the text it says:

This version, was designated as the XM21, had a specially selected walnut stock and was first fielded in the second half of 1969.

The XM21 served from 1969 to 1975

And in the table it says it was designed in 1968.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is a conspiracy. To claim the government killed him. It would require a government conspiracy.

Conspiracy does happen. But MLK wasn't killed by a suppressed XM21 with subsonic ammo.
View Quote

The thing is the Judge doesn't claim the government killed him. He states the fact that the rifle used in the case was not the rifle that killed MLK.
The rifle in fact was tested twice and both test came back inconclusive.

Facts opposing narratives lead people to think critically and come up theories.., sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In the text it says:

And in the table it says it was designed in 1968.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I found this on XM21 development:

The Army then sent 10 of these original XM21’s to Vietnam in 1967 for evaluation.
View Quote

https://www.snipercentral.com/us-army-m21-xm21/

So they were around. I'm pretty sure one wasn't used to kill King.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The thing is the Judge doesn't claim the government killed him. He states the fact that the rifle used in the case was not the rifle that killed MLK.

Facts opposing narratives lead people to think critically and come up theories.., sure.
View Quote

I would not be surprised by an inconclusive result.

It would be surprising if he was shot with an XM21. Claiming he was is pretty much a claim the government was in on it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, kinda like Vegas?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems to me that it is unlikely CIA (or whoever) would have access to an experimental Army rifle that only existed in small numbers. And also, they wouldn't want to use one, since if things went sideways it would be easy to unravel the source of the weapon.

It would be easy to obtain any number of hunting or milsurp rifles up to the task that couldn't be traced.

Now, conspiracy does happen. "Conspiracy theory" is overdone as a negative. There is a tendency of some to try to explain major sweeping things as some sort of grand conspiracy that's highly improbable, verging on the impossible. But conspiring to kill someone is a common enough thing. We need a clear understanding that there are very real conspiracies, but also wacko conspiracies that are highly improbable. It is within the realm of the possible that someone like Hoover decided to have someone killed.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#17]
If the .gov that hated him (and opposed what he wanted to do) so badly, why would they do it in a way that immortalized him?

They made a martyr.  Having him OD on heroin in a whorehouse would have been just as easy for the CIA, and would have made sure his legacy was shot.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You may absolutely be right. I just genuinely find this topic pretty intriguing and don't intend to be a conspiracy nut. I've just heard plausible explanations that resolve discrepancies and misinformation  from everything to Lincoln to JFK. I just haven't heard anything regarding this topic is all.

I have a book I read a couple years ago that have real sniper accounts from Nam all the way to the GWOT. In one of the first chapters a Nam veteran was talking about an operation he was on where he was using a scoped M14 but I don't remember him calling it an XM21. Perhaps Brown was completely wrong on the nomenclature. Maybe there were accurized M14s in the bush before the XM21 was fielded? The average non-gun enthusiast could easily mistake a M14 with a scope for an actual XM21. Maybe he was shot with a regular GI style M14 that was accurized? Who knows.

I'm working abroad but I'm trying to get the wife to go to my book shelf at home to take a pic of that novel.
Probably one of the best books I've read on snipers in general. Plus it gives first hand accounts of how effective the mk262 round was on human targets in Iraq which I haven't really seen anywhere else.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm guessing same .308 diameter projectile.
View Quote

Actually, a 30-06.

James Earl Ray's brother sued to get the rifle back after James Earl Ray died in prison. IIRC, he did in fact get it back. No clue if he sold it, kept it or donated it to a museum somewhere?

I closely followed the aftermath of Ray's appeals. Much like Lee Harvey Oswald, Ray was dumber than a box of cat turds. He was the perfect patsy, IMO. I was surprised they didn't get him killed like the did Oswald.

Ray's claim in his appeals (which never really waivered) was some cat named "Raoul" was the one who paid Ray to do the shooting. Of course, "Raoul" was never found nor ID'd. (Take your pic if "Raoul" was a Hoover/FBI undercover, a Mafia type or Russian?)

Ray never had a military background that would give him some experience with rifles or shooting. Unlike Oswald, Ray didn't have a shitty shooting for score on his military record.

Even on his death bed, Ray was given the opportunity to tell the "truth". He laughed in their faces in his last few breaths. He was indeed a strange, crazy MFer.

Ray's rifle wasn't fired for ballistics decades later for appeals, IIRC. Seems like the defense lawyers A) didn't trust the Govt; & B) defense lawyers didn't want the barrel bore altered in any way. There was argument over cleaning the bore before testing or shoot it as it was, etc. In the end, it wasn't done.

Ray had a short prison escape when he was at Brushy Mtn Prison in Wartburg, TN. He & a couple others escaped somehow for about a day or so. This prison is in an extremely remote, mountainous area. The locals were give $500 rewards for any escaped prisoners that they captured. Serious Deliverance territory, IOW. So their period of freedom was short lived.

I remember well when King was shot. My family was seated at the dinner table, eating. I also watched RFK get shot on live tv that year. I think I was in the 4th or 5th grade when all that happened.

Someone can correct me anywhere I was wrong on Ray.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If I was going to shoot someone with a rifle, I wouldn't leave it laying around with my prints on it, i'd wear gloves and then drop it in the Mississippi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Judge Brown allowed new tests last year on Mr. Ray's rifle, which was found near the murder scene with Mr. Ray's fingerprints on it.
If I was going to shoot someone with a rifle, I wouldn't leave it laying around with my prints on it, i'd wear gloves and then drop it in the Mississippi.

Well I wouldn't shoot someone to begin with.  Because I'm thinking rationally.  Believe it or not people who are homicidal make irrational decisions because they aren't thinking rationally to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just thinking this out, I can think of a few ways a ballistics test could definitely *rule out* a gun as being the one that fired a bullet. For example, if the number of rifling grooves or the twist rate of the rifling was different, you could be sure it was a different barrel that fired the slug.

It would be much harder to reach a conclusion that it definitely, without a doubt, was the only gun that could have fired the bullet. Not getting such a certain result is hardly suspicious.

The fact that the test was inconclusive suggests that the 760 was not ruled out and could have been the rifle used.

Anybody know if the XM21 would've had the same twist rate and # of grooves as a 760 of that vintage?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#22]
FBI report said Ray use a Rem 760 in 30-06

I visited the site some years ago when I had time to waste in Memphis. Distance wise it didn't seem like a very difficult shot to me. It was 100 yards give or take. The angle looked a little weird. I do remember thinking, "Yeah, I could make that shot."

I became interested in the MLK assignation after I attended a function where Jesse Jackson spoke of the day. Jackson's actions on that day are controversial, but he was there. Interviews of others present match his description overall. When they first heard the shot, they thought it was a car backfiring. The single bullet hit King in the jaw and snaked down his neck. There was copious blood. Once they realized King was down, general chaos ensued. No one paid much attention to where the shot came from.

King's speeches and attitude of the time indicate he expected someone to take a shot.

King was known to stay in that room at the Lorraine Motel when in town. The boarding house would have made a good observation point for a single individual stalking King.

I can see how the sound of a 30 cal, sans muzzle device, fired from a window would sound like a backfire to an observer downrange.

I don't think the shot required a sub MOA tactical rifle of the day.

I don't know if James Earl Ray killed MLK or not. I wasn't even alive then. I do know human minds have a hard time processing events of that magnitude. The consciousness often looks for overly complex answers to simple questions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:10:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Ray could have shot King with iron sights. The man wasn't that far away.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Ray could have shot King with iron sights. The man wasn't that far away.
View Quote

Any experienced dear hunter could have made that shot.

I personally think the shooter misjudged his dope. Let's say he aimed for the upper torso with an '06 dialed to a to point blank zero. At 100 yards, a hit to the jaw makes sense.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:08:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ray never had a military background that would give him some experience with rifles or shooting.
View Quote

Not sure military background (or lack thereof) is really relevant.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not sure military background (or lack thereof) is really relevant.
View Quote

Just pointing out a contrast to Oswald & others, that's all. Many posters weren't even born when MLK was killed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Well, contrary to those movies and TV shows we've all seen, a lot of times bullets end up looking more like the one on the left than the one on the right

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-73825f50bbb77f675c6fa220d4011749

Ben Branch, musician and friend of MLK Jr. who was with him at the time of his death and witnessed the shooting, stated, "The bullet exploded in his face."

Now I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing it could mean there was a good bit of fragmentation upon impact, and the bullet didn't stay all nice and neat in one piece like we see on every episode of CSI: Miami
View Quote

CSI Miami can even tell what color the gun was that fired the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Just thinking this out, I can think of a few ways a ballistics test could definitely *rule out* a gun as being the one that fired a bullet. For example, if the number of rifling grooves or the twist rate of the rifling was different, you could be sure it was a different barrel that fired the slug.

It would be much harder to reach a conclusion that it definitely, without a doubt, was the only gun that could have fired the bullet. Not getting such a certain result is hardly suspicious.

The fact that the test was inconclusive suggests that the 760 was not ruled out and could have been the rifle used.

Anybody know if the XM21 would've had the same twist rate and # of grooves as a 760 of that vintage?
View Quote

The fact that the rifle analysis came back inconclusive is definitely not an absolute verification that it wasn't used. I agree with that, especially when considering this was the late 60s early 70s, when forensic technology and procedures were no where near the standards of today, or even the 80s or 90s likely.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What? He stated they used "special subsonic ammunition with a suppressor to reduce the velocity to below supersonic". He obviously isn't implying the suppressor reduced the velocity, hence he mentioned subsonic ammunition first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was not aware that suppressors reduce supersonic velocities to subsonic.

What? He stated they used "special subsonic ammunition with a suppressor to reduce the velocity to below supersonic". He obviously isn't implying the suppressor reduced the velocity, hence he mentioned subsonic ammunition first.

Back in that era there were "wipe" suppressors that were more popular than the Maxim type today.

the bullet would pass through rubber baffles.

Could be what he was referring to.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Army then sent 10 of these original XM21’s to Vietnam in 1967 for evaluation.

Scoped M-14s were a thing pretty much from the start. Not sure what the designations were.

Any spook shop worth it's salt would have a R&D division and a machine shop to develop specialty tools for any given task.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#31]
The rifle could have been a prototype pre XM21.  My dad had a picture of him and a group of men in duck hunting camo from the Dominican Crisis of 1965.  He was a WW-II OSS vet who received a battlefield commission.  He was working in South America with a team of Cubans.  They were sent to DM to hunt down communists.  He was a field grade SF officer when the picture was taken.   Half of the men in the picture had M-14 rifles with WW-II scopes the others had FNFAL rifles..  Those scoped M-14s had suppressors. When I asked about those rifles, he said they were based on National Match rifles with custom machined scope mounts and some type of suppressors.  

Regards
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I know he's a shooter as I know a manufacturer that built a custom gun for him.
View Quote

Him and his bailiff, theyve left a few reviews on Midway. They reload also.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly. The rifle recovered was a .244 Remington.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How the hell did they establish "same kind of gun" and what does that mean lol. "Same kind" as in; it was a rifle?

If I remember correctly. The rifle recovered was a .244 Remington.

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was not aware that suppressors reduce supersonic velocities to subsonic.
View Quote
I think integral can because it bleeds off gas down the entire barrel .
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well I wouldn't shoot someone to begin with.  Because I'm thinking rationally.  Believe it or not people who are homicidal make irrational decisions because they aren't thinking rationally to begin with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Judge Brown allowed new tests last year on Mr. Ray's rifle, which was found near the murder scene with Mr. Ray's fingerprints on it.

I think that's being dangerously naive...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a document I can research. I want to say they had some prior to 69 but it would be very rare
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just for information for the discussion

Essentially, the XM21 and M21 rifles are M14 NM rifles equipped with optics. The XM21 weighed 11 pounds by itself and 14 pounds 5 1/3 ounces with equipment. The M14 riflewas used for sniping duty as early as 1965. The U. S. Army 11th Air Assault Division had M14 rifles equipped with M84 scopes on aluminum mounts made by the USAMTU.
In March 1967, the Army Weapons Command shipped the first 125 M84 scoped M14 NM
rifles to the Republic of Viet Nam for use by Army snipers. The 101st Airborne Division had 226 M84 scoped M14 NM rifles in February 1969 while deployed in the Republic of Viet Nam. The USAMTU supported the Army sniper program in the Republic of Viet Nam beginning in June 1968 and ending in December 1970. From January 1971 until 1972 when the last major combat elements of the U. S. Army left Viet Nam, Rock Island Arsenal provided support for the XM21 rifle in that theater.
M14 NM rifles equipped with M84 scopes were in use in Viet Nam even after the XM21 with the ART scope was fielded.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Meh, let's see the bullet. A high velocity rifle bullet can get real messed up.
View Quote
This makes it really interesting.Would explain massive fragmenting if the round was unstable/key hole prior to impact .  

Subsonic ammunition was hand loaded at Fort Benning, GA for XM21 sound suppressed rifles in the Republic of Viet Nam. This subsonic round was designed to be stable for a distance of 100 meters or less. Placing the spindle valve in the "OFF" position reduces the muzzle velocity by only 15 feet per second using M118 Match ammunition but it does noticeably intensify felt recoil. Likewise, removal of the flash suppressor does not significantly alter bullet muzzle velocity. Match grade ammunition has been in use by competition shooters since the 1921 National Matches.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The fact that they couldn't link the 760 Gamemaster rifle to the bullet recovered in MLK is reasonable enough for me to question the narrative.
View Quote
That's what I was thinking.  They can't match the rifling?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:42:23 AM EDT
[#41]
The fishy part for me is that J.E.Ray fled to Londen and Portugal after King's death.  Granted, this was the late 60's, but it seems to me someone was helping him out, although he was experienced in international travel already.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:57:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Shows like CSI and NCIS have conditioned people to think of forensics as flawless.  In the case, the bullet was fragmented (and deformed), so the rifling marks likely couldn't be studied in great detail.  Caliber, number of grooves, and twist rate are likely about all they could get out of what they recovered.  If those didn't match the rifle in question, it would be ruled out, but simply because those factors matched a recovered rifle doesn't mean that specific rifle was used, or even (necessarily) that the rifle used was of that model - only that those basic parameters fit.  As such, the rifle recovered matched upon gross examination the limited information they could get out of the bullet fragment(s), but not enough to conclusively say one way or another.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Well, contrary to those movies and TV shows we've all seen, a lot of times bullets end up looking more like the one on the left than the one on the right

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-73825f50bbb77f675c6fa220d4011749

Ben Branch, musician and friend of MLK Jr. who was with him at the time of his death and witnessed the shooting, stated, "The bullet exploded in his face."

Now I don't know what that means, but I'm guessing it could mean there was a good bit of fragmentation upon impact, and the bullet didn't stay all nice and neat in one piece like we see on every episode of CSI: Miami
View Quote

If that is THE actual round, I need boxes of those for 300BLK.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:19:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:22:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ahh, the dichotomy of GD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know he's a shooter as I know a manufacturer that built a custom gun for him.

Quoted:
Joe Brown can eat a giant bag of aids infected, razor studded, puss oozing BBC’s. He’s just another Shit Stain like Memphis.

Ahh, the dichotomy of GD

really brings it home ya know.  the questions of the ages! Is there a God?  theres just enough "evidence" or "propaganda" either way
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:34:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It was actually a phased plasma cannon in the 40 watt range wielded by a time traveling Trump supporter racist.
View Quote

Just what you see pal
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top