Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2020 6:00:39 PM EDT
Rump roasts were on sale at my local grocer, so i snagged one. Sliced it up for jerky.

Attachment Attached File

I normally smoke my jerky in my big offset smoker, but I have a dehydrator I’ve never used. Any tips and tricks? I’ve had mixed results with my smoker; sometimes its great other times not so much. Figured the dehydrator might be more consistent.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Just cure and season the meat to your liking and throw it in the dehydrator. Take off when it is to your liking. I slice mine thinner than that for the dehydrator and for me it takes 3 hours.

Love me some jerky. Nice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've not yet mastered the art of slicing it really thin.  Though I will admit the thinner pieces on the smoker tend to get dry and hard.  I'm still learning though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
For me it's 4 hours for softer jerky and 5 for the "keep me alive" and never crap dry style. Vinegar and salt only as sugar and me don't get along.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I let my jerky cure a right at 24 hours before I put it on the dehydrator. Using a commercial seasoning mix and cure but I’d love to see some recipes for home made seasonings.

I’ll try to take some pictures of the finished product, depending on how many beers I have.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Turned out pretty good.  I think I like the smoke flavor a little better, but this is definitely more consistent.  Took 5 1/2 hours in the dehydrator.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking a getting a dehydrator also as i cant master the smoker to make jerky i like. What dehydrator do you use? Do you like it? Beenn looking at westons in the 200 range
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The one I have is the Nesco Professional Dehydrator.  I like it, though I will admit that the jerky I made for this thread was my first time using it.  It was pretty easy, just lay out the meat, turn it on and let it go.  

I would definitely make jerky again with it.  The more I ate it the more I liked it.  I did kind of miss the smoke flavor, but this was way more consistent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've not yet mastered the art of slicing it really thin.  Though I will admit the thinner pieces on the smoker tend to get dry and hard.  I'm still learning though.
View Quote

Buy your roast at a place that has a slicer and have them do it.

1/4 in across the grain. A decent store should do it at no additional cost.

Use some liquid smoke or smoke it for an HR or two then finish it off in the dehydrator.

I prefer the black jerky that is marinaded in a liquid solution for 24hrs or more. Like a soy / Worcestershire sauce

These guys sell their liquid marinate and tell you what dry spices to add to get some of their flavors.

https://www.smokinggunjerky.com/online-store
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the meat counter guys slice it for me. I also let it soak in the seasonings overnight at a minimum.

I don't let the meat get over 165 degrees if I can help it. It gets too tough. That probably goes against some rule, but I like it chewy not crunchy

I have the same Nesco as you do (I assume) and I stick between 135-145 for heat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Factors I consider when making jerky:

1.  Rub vs marinade....or both.
2.  Slice across, or with the grain of the meat.
3.  Sear before drying or not.
4.  Smoke before drying or not.

Flavors I have really enjoyed are teriyaki with some added zip to it from peppers or hot sauce.  Certain types of vinegar that leave a nice tang to it, and it makes my mouth water.    A spicy teriyaki with a vinegar finish is quite nice.  Balsamic or cider vinegar both work well.

ETA:  Now you got me all psyched up to make some.  I just took out a chuck roast and some turkey tenderloins to make a few kinds of Jerky out of.  I'll use 4-6 different flavors of rubs/marinades, from sweet to spicy, and all stuff in between.   Asian 5-spice makes an interesting starting place.
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I add a little liquid smoke in the marinade...
Link Posted: 9/19/2020 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
None of the local meat markets I frequent have a deli slicer.  I've thought about buying one but I'm not sure how much I'd use it.  

So far I've been using Hi Mountain Jerky cure and seasonings.  Dad picked up a few packs at Cabela's a while back.  I like the flavor but I'm not opposed to trying my own blend of seasonings.  I can get curing salt locally so that isn't an issue.  I'd just have to figure out how much to use per pound of meat.  

Up til now I've only used bottom round roast for my jerky.  Its easy to find and can be had on sale for $2.50/lb.  I've wanted to try top sirloin and eye of round roast, yet to try it.  Eye of round is kinda hard to come by though.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Before slicing put it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so to firm up. Makes thin slicing way easier.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:17:09 AM EDT
[#14]
My base recipe is:

3# eye of round
1 C soy sauce
1 C Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tbs honey
2 tbs coarse cracked pepper
1-1/2 tbs of Tony's Creole seasoning

If you want some heat, you can crank up the Tony's but you should ease back on the soy as it can get really salty really quickly. I tried using low-sodium soy and wooster, but the flavor was...off. Been wanting to try some hot sauces but don't know what kind I'd think would taste good and not sure how much to add. Don't want to waste any by putting too little or dumping too much in that it's inedible.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#15]

I’d eat it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My base recipe is:

3# eye of round
1 C soy sauce
1 C Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tbs honey

If you want some heat, you can crank up the Tony's but you should ease back on the soy as it can get really salty really quickly. I tried using low-sodium soy and wooster, but the flavor was...off. Been wanting to try some hot sauces but don't know what kind I'd think would taste good and not sure how much to add. Don't want to waste any by putting too little or dumping too much in that it's inedible.
View Quote

if using soy sauce and/or worchestershire........forget about the Tony Cacheres, it's mostly salt: Ingredients: Salt, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Chili Powder (Chili Pepper, Spices, Salt, Garlic Powder), Dehydrated Garlic, Silicon Dioxide (Anti-caking Agent). You can easily make your own minus the salt. Or use the Salt Free Tony's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

if using soy sauce and/or worchestershire........forget about the Tony Cacheres, it's mostly salt: Ingredients: Salt, Red Pepper, Black Pepper, Chili Powder (Chili Pepper, Spices, Salt, Garlic Powder), Dehydrated Garlic, Silicon Dioxide (Anti-caking Agent). You can easily make your own minus the salt. Or use the Salt Free Tony's.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My base recipe is:

3# eye of round
1 C soy sauce
1 C Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tbs honey

No doubt. I've just been too lazy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an excalibur 9-tray dehydrator and like it a lot. So far my favorite seasoning is Eastman Outdoor Original jerky cure and seasoning. I find better results using water instead of tossing around to create more even flavoring.  

As someone above said, freeze it for a little bit and then slice. No more than 1/4" thick slices. I like my jerky dry so it cracks. Smokers generally make a softer jerky--personal preference.

I'm experimenting with my own marinades and I refuse to use soy sauce since it is so overpowering and dominates the flavor.

ETA: 155 degrees for dehydrating

Anyone have a good marinade recipe, minus soy sauce?
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Made this batch today
2.5lbs beef bottom round
Soy sauce
Worchestershire sauce
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes
Liquid smoke

Marinaded over night

5 hours
In a 20 year old mess I 5 tray dehydrator lol still going strong

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Just finished a batch of 12 lbs worth of goose breasts using the ducks unlimited spicey goose jerky recipe.   Came out very good.  I use a master built electric smoker to do jerky.

It uses soy sauce, worchestershire sauce (bug juice), brown sugar, garlic powder, pepper, red pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:53:39 PM EDT
[#21]
You could always throw it on the smoker for an hour to give it your preferred method taste.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top