Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2023 12:05:50 PM EDT
Can someone recommend some good Japanese whiskys?  I realize they are probably all really good, but just looking for recommendations on things I can find at places like total wine.  A friend of mine gave me this bottle of Legent, which is half American and half Japanese owned, I enjoyed it but I’m not a true bourbon connoisseur.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoyed this one.  $72.00 @ Total Wine.  The 'coffey' in the name has nothing to do with flavor profile.  It comes from the name of the still.
It's branded as a scotch whisky, but I find it more 'bourbon-like' than 'scotch-like.'

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I like to occasionally sip on Suntory Whisky Toki. Really the only Japanese whisky I've tried. I buy it from Total Wine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Japanese whisky is "scotch" or "scotch adjacent".

They do both blended and single malt.  I like Hibiki.

Suntory is the best known blended (think Johnny Walker).  That Coffey Grain is high corn mash bill, hence the bourbonish taste.  The Japanese craft distilleries are also branching into things like rice mash bills.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoyed this one.  $72.00 @ Total Wine.  The 'coffey' in the name has nothing to do with flavor profile.  It comes from the name of the still.
It's branded as a scotch whisky, but I find it more 'bourbon-like' than 'scotch-like.'

https://www.totalwine.com/dynamic/x490,sq/media/sys_master/twmmedia/h05/h1c/12780138692638.png
View Quote

I bought one for a Christmas party one year. The booze snobs had never tried that but got a little twinkle in their eyes after the first sips.  Based on their judgement I'd definitely buy bottles of it for gifts again.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Yamazaki single malt is good if you like scotch.   Unfortunately it's gone way up in price and I don't know if it's worth the current pricing, but it is pretty good.   I remember being able to buy Yamazaki 12yr for around $40 years ago at the Asian supermarket in Orange County before it got popular.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like to occasionally sip on Suntory Whisky Toki. Really the only Japanese whisky I've tried. I buy it from Total Wine.
View Quote

Toki is very light on taste, a little sweet with some green apple and mint. It’d make a light highball, throw an orange wedge and cocktail cherry to give hints of an Old Fashioned.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#10]
All great info, thank you
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:54:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Highly recommend if you can find it for less than an arm and a leg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top