Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2021 11:39:56 AM EDT
And then they get fucking cancer and it's inoperable, and they're suffering, and you know the best thing for them is to end their pain.  That doesn't make it any easier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:42:59 AM EDT
[#1]
That sucks OP....we just had to put our dog down 3 weeks ago.

They're called mans best friend for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Fuck cancer.

Fuck cancer straight in it's ass.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
They are our 'four legged furry kids' and it suck big time to loose one!!!!  Been there and done that several times!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn it
Hate to hear that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sorry man.  That sucks.  But I'm sure you've given him a good life and a lot of love.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:49:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn cat's gonna have to find a new best friend, too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Im sorry man

like my old friend who was a vet said to me once. " the problem with dogs is they dont outlive us "
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Chin up, you've made his life awesome.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck cancer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#10]
what's real fun is a couple years after they die when you're on your first cup of coffee for the day, you randomly whistle and call their name, then remember (all in about half a second)
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I feel ya bro.

I had to put my girl down 3 years ago.  Best doggy ever.  Literally, made me sick to have to do it.  

Took me 2 years to get over it and my wife got me this little scamp for my birthday.  She is a brainless pup, full of nutty energy, but, I’m training her and she is growing on me.

Good luck UP
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:20:15 PM EDT
[#12]
"But then they worm their way into your heart."

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I feel ya bro.

I had to put my girl down 3 years ago.  Best doggy ever.  Literally, made me sick to have to do it.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161250/SAL-1471-copy-2-179172.jpg

Took me 2 years to get over it and my wife got me this little scamp for my birthday.  She is a brainless pup, full of nutty energy, but, I'm training her and she is growing on me.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161250/6F644113-6EDB-492B-BC44-6D4A9421D12E-1937186.jpg
Good luck UP
View Quote

Beautiful dogs, both of them.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Damn cat's gonna have to find a new best friend, too.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103046/20201221_213113__002__jpg-2108000.JPG
View Quote

Awww.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I learned that I need a good dog in my life to be content with life.
That means to love them take care of them discipline them and then eventually loose them.
You get 10-15 yrs of loyal buddy and then months of pain...you take it you live with it and then you find another
buddy to move on with until one day you leave this life and leave your dog behind hopefully with someone who will
take care of him/her until it's the dogs turn to leave this life.
IMO if you believe it God and are right with His Son you will see your friends again...hold onto that and love another one when you can.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Good looking pup...

...condolences Sir
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Just lost our sweetie Min Pin of 14 and 1/2 years this morning.

Got terminal tracheal collapse with respiratory failure over the weekend and took her in this morning to our wonderful vet where she was put to sleep in my arms.

Our house is so empty with out her happy soul bouncing around, following us where ever we go.

We are crushed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#18]
They are never just a dog.  

They are our companions, our family.  Within weeks, they know us, better than we know ourselves.  

Our dogs amplify the best that lies within us, to strive to become the people they know we can become.  

Treat him well, give him peace, mourn him properly and continue to be the version of you he envisions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Beautiful pup, OP.

I’m sorry about the news.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/lVyZX6k.jpg

Just lost our sweetie Min Pin of 14 and 1/2 years this morning.

Got terminal tracheal collapse with respiratory failure over the weekend and took her in this morning to our wonderful vet where she was put to sleep in my arms.

Our house is so empty with out her happy soul bouncing around, following us where ever we go.

We are crushed.
View Quote

Sorry to hear it.  I know exactly how you feel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Sorry.
Not just a dog, a friend.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Some Arfomer said a few weeks ago: You think have the bestest dag in the world.
And you're right.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Lost my last one at 5,  that sucked. Waiting for results to see if they can save my current one that's going to be 4  in December.  Already struggling with the likelihood I will have to make that decision. The amount of money that will be made by the guy that makes dogs live as long as we do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#24]
sorry OP  May of 2020 I had to put these two down, Pepper and Tank  within four days of each other ,it killed us , swore we'd never get another dog . in time the sting will lessen .

we adopted Roxy in March at 10 months old  , so glad we did

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Another good one gone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry op I know the pain to well it will get better.  Just remember you gave him the best life possible and he loved you for doing the right thing
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#27]
A dog does not live as long as a man and this natural law is the fount of many tears. If boy and puppy might grow to manhood and doghood together, and together grow old, and so in due course die, full many a heartache might be avoided. But the world is not so ordered, and dogs will die and men will weep for them so long as there are dogs and men.  By Ben Ames Williams, from A Wingshooter's Autumn

Rudyard Kipling - 1865-1936

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie—
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet’s unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find—it’s your own affair—
But… you’ve given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!).
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone—wherever it goes—for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We’ve sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we’ve kept ’em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long—
So why in—Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#28]
My condolences, OP.

It's never easy.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry to hear that Ceetee.  Remember, they never live as long as we do, nor as long as we wish they would.  Do what you have to for them both during their time with you, and when it comes time for it to end.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#30]
This is the dog that got stuck coming out, so I gloved up and worked her loose.  Basically delivered her when she was in need.  This is the dog that I  told my wife, "We can sell all the other puppies, but this one's mine.  I'm keeping her.  She's my girl."  And when that wife decided she needed to become my ex-wife, she knew better than to even try to get the dog in the divorce settlement, because she knew that if she did, well shit would have gotten really bad in a real hurry.

It just sucks, that's all.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#31]
He's just a dog.....

He is just my dog - Gene Hill

" He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;
my other ears that hear above the winds.
He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea.
He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being;
by the way he rests against my leg;
by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile;
by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him.
(I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.)
When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, he is joy unbounded.
When I am a fool, he ignores it.
When I succeed, he brags.
Without him, I am only another man.
With him, I am all-powerful.
He is loyalty itself.
He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.
He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.
His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him.
And I expect I will - as I always have.
He is just my dog."

Gene Hill
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#32]
The worst thing about dogs is they don't live long enough.

F Cancer
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve never been able to become attached to a dog. They just seem to annoy me lol. I’ve lived with and had a few, but never formed a bond. Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I’ve never been able to become attached to a dog. They just seem to annoy me lol. I’ve lived with and had a few, but never formed a bond. Oh well.
View Quote

That's too bad.  Sorry to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:44:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Have they suggested steroids?

My beagle got cancer, around 9 years old. They did chemo but the prednisone made him good as new almost immediately. Worked for a few months. Gave us some more time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry to hear. I am dreading the day I will have to make that decision. How old is he/she?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:51:00 PM EDT
[#38]
So sorry, OP.  

One of the cruelties of life is the dog has a relatively short life span.  i asked my wife the other day, why couldn't our creator give them 30-40 years on Earth?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#39]
A good dog is truly man's best friend. You can't find that kind of loyalty elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm sorry Bro, I've got 3 GS and the oldest is getting up there, I know the time is coming and it will hurtAttachment Attached File

The black one, my first dog
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

the hurt we have when we lose them is the price for what they do for us.  
and its still a bargain.
May 30 2019
4:30 pm

still making the payments....
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I lost my Jack (registered name Special Agent Jack Bauer) a week ago. I am still a mess. My constant and loyal friend for 15 years. A friend sent me a beautiful card and a book with the following poem in it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And this classic helps, somehow.

GOD AND DOG by Wendy Francisco

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have they suggested steroids?

My beagle got cancer, around 9 years old. They did chemo but the prednisone made him good as new almost immediately. Worked for a few months. Gave us some more time.
View Quote

Quoted:
Sorry to hear. I am dreading the day I will have to make that decision. How old is he/she?
View Quote

She was 10 1/2 years old.  Her mom had degenerative myelopathy, where the spinal cord slowly starts going bad.  You first see it in their back legs - they lose the ability to lift their hind feet when walking.  Because I knew what to look for, I was watching for it and I wasn't too surprised when I saw the early signs.  Three weeks ago, she started having bladder control issues, and since I'm new to this particular area, I hunted around for a new vet.  Last Friday was the earliest appointment I could get.  I got her full body X-rays, blood work, urine and stool samples; everything they had to offer her I got her.

The vet wasn't happy with the x-rays of her abdomen.  She ran an ultrasound, and found a liquid-filled mass in her belly.  Her blood work was slightly anemic as well.  Based on the ultrasound, the vet was hopeful that the cancer was confined to her spleen, and suggested that they do an exploratory surgery.  If it was only in her spleen, then they'd just remove the spleen and close her back up.  This would buy her another year or year and a half, maybe.  

The cancer had gone into her liver, her intestines, her stomach; all over.  She said that the kindest thing we could do is let her go without waking up.

I'm trying to get used to the idea that she's not going to be there when I get home.  I get it, mentally, but emotionally it's still going to be rough tonight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I met a huge biker due once while working in his house.

He told me he was pretty tame but the one thing he had that meant the world to him was his yorkie. I bet he would do time for anyone that hurt his dog.
Showed him a pic of my girl and he just said. I bet you know what I mean

Attachment Attached File

I didn’t even want a dog, but as soon as she met me, she became my heart and I am her companion. I do love this pup!
I hope she lives a long time
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm sorry sir.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#46]
So sorry for your loss. Had to put my buddy down last Monday.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

I have pix somewhere of her patriotic costume.  she won first place in a July 4 parade at Jekyll Island some years back.  all the other dogs had red white & blue glitter outfits.  her`s was a pair of brown canvas saddlebags holding pmags, toy hand grenades hanging on the side.  a toy rifle painted to look real was strapped across her back & she had a camo bandana.  her gear was dirty.  the American flag standing up taped to a pmag was burnt & damaged.  she was the warrior coming home.  many veterans had their pics taken with her & many people took pictures to send to their kids in the service. I have seen soldiers shed tears at seeing her & knowing what she depicted.  
she wore her outfit in a lot of parades & she always seemed so proud to have it on.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry OP.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m sorry to hear about this OP. I can’t imagine the hurt ya feel at the moment. I get exactly where you’re coming from.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Losing Bimba was the greatest pain I ever suffered.

She died on May 10, 2021 and on May 28, 2021, I got Luna.

A new dog will never replace your old dog. But the new dog's love will help set your pain aside.

Get another dog.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top