Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 12/26/2018 11:01:30 AM EDT
Was planning on doing the flower gardens in March, but I've shrunk out of my dry suit and don't want to buy a new semi dry or dry suit, that I don't know if I'll shrink out of before the trip, so that's probably nixed.

A late summer Keys family trip looks likely.  My daughter has shown some interest in getting certified this year, so that'll be a good first trip for her.

My LDS is discussing a Carolina trip, and a FL wreck trip that interest me.

If they do a Bonaire trip in early DEC again, I'll probably do my first real dive shop trip.  I kind of want a 50th anniversary Stinapa tag.  I've always been able to beat dive shop pricing, but it'll be nice to let someone else be the travel agent. . .
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I am planning on going to bed at 10:00 pm New Years eve.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Straits of Mackinac in June. Tobermory, ON in July. Temagami, ON in August for TDI Intro to Tech.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Late April:
Two weeks in Bonaire.
First several days renew dive certificates.
Looking forward .

I’m sure I’ll be asking many questions here.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am planning on going to bed at 10:00 pm New Years eve.
View Quote
Lake Michigan shallow near shore wreck dive on New Year's Day. Water temp is 37 degrees.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Cozumel in late February. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Fossil diving in Venice beach in May. Bunch of boring quarry diving. Finally going to get cave certified this year. Bonaire again next year...so far away.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:40:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Tentatively Playa del Carmen in May for Cavern and Basic Cave Diver courses.  I did two trips to Playa last year for cavern diving and loved it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Cozumel is March. Trying to make Australia in May happen but still up in the air.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I would like to get up to the panhandle and do the Oriskany and the Ozark.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Down in Coz right now as I read this
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Punta Cana in June, hopefully some weekend trips before then, maybe the Keys or some springs in Fla. Living just north of Atlanta makes flights fairly easy. Hoping to buy my own regulator and BCD soon.
Link Posted: 2/1/2019 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#12]
12 hours till I hit SFO and head for Costa Rica ( Pacific side ).
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 2:07:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Roatan in April and Socorro in June.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll might go to the keys if I have the time. Mostly start in my backyard in SFL. Wrecks, reefs, but mostly hunting on my fun dives. Lobsters, Stone crabs, and fish need to be in my belly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#15]
going to the Riviera Maya (Playa del Carmen) in May.---fun trip great time,,,,

a long weekend to Florida in September...update----canceled---when back to Curacao for a week
went scuba diving with the Dolphins,,was really cool wife loved it.

Turks & Caicos in December---update-----also canceled---- going to Barbados in early December
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
This year it will be Maui & Japan.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Just added Memorial Day weekend out of Port Sanilac, MI, on southern Lake Huron.
Link Posted: 10/13/2019 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Plans rarely survive 1st contact with the enemy, and the year is almost over.

So how did your year go?  I have a couple of dives left for XRN. Doing them this coming week on a gulf trip.  
Kid got certified.
Got about ten new people to the Adam Brown memorial in Lake Ouachita.
Link Posted: 10/17/2019 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Did a couple keys snorkeling trips with the family. Caught some lobsters and killed some lionfish in Lauderdale. Did a few checkout dives with some students.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Sadly not much. My last attempt to dive was around Memorial Day and that went to crap pretty quickly and it was getting pretty sporadic in the months leading up to Memorial Day. I have a doctor's appointment on Tuesday so hopefully that will get the ball rolling towards better management of my issues.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Straits of Mackinac in June, Tobermory in July. Temagami, Ontario for Intro to Tech/VIP classes. The scenery was spectacular. Top of Lake Michigan and the North Channel of Lake Huron were amazing. Saw the Soo Locks. Drove across Mackinac Bridge multiple times.

Tons of local Lake Michigan dives. Port Sanilac (southern Lake Huron) Memorial Day weekend was awesome.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Straits of Mackinac in June, Tobermory in July. Temagami, Ontario for Intro to Tech/VIP classes. The scenery was spectacular. Top of Lake Michigan and the North Channel of Lake Huron were amazing. Saw the Soo Locks. Drove across Mackinac Bridge multiple times.

Tons of local Lake Michigan dives. Port Sanilac (southern Lake Huron) Memorial Day weekend was awesome.
View Quote
Tell me about the Monrovia (I think that's what it was)  I got invited to go up in 2021.  All I know about great lakes diving is what I've seen you post.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Tell me about the Monrovia (I think that's what it was)  I got invited to go up in 2021.  All I know about great lakes diving is what I've seen you post.
View Quote
Monrovia is in Thunder Bay, off Alpena, MI, in northern Lake Huron. Saltie that went down in the 50s, I think. Something like 25 miles out in the shipping channel. Really exposed to the weather. What other wrecks? Presque Isle (a bit further north) has the really nice deep stuff. Look up the Cornelia B. Windiate.

I don’t remember what your experience is. Lots of drysuit? Bottom temps will be high 30s/low 40s. Need heavy thermals and dry gloves. Maybe an electric vest.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Monrovia is in Thunder Bay, off Alpena, MI, in northern Lake Huron. Saltie that went down in the 50s, I think. Something like 25 miles out in the shipping channel. Really exposed to the weather. What other wrecks? Presque Isle (a bit further north) has the really nice deep stuff. Look up the Cornelia B. Windiate.

I don’t remember what your experience is. Lots of drysuit? Bottom temps will be high 30s/low 40s. Need heavy thermals and dry gloves. Maybe an electric vest.
View Quote
That's the only one they mentioned by name, they make an annual trip, 2 days of 2 dives a day, they didn't mention the boat name either, but said it's a 6 diver boat, and they get every seat as a group.

Experience wise, just about finished up all my XRN stuff with SSI.  25 or so dives into the mid 40s in the lakes here so far.  My instructor for XRN, and another instructor, and myself all got a big enough taste of caves in FL last week, that we're going to do a trip next year back down to FL to do those classes. I don't think I've ever got a small taste of something and wanted a bigger bite so bad in my life.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's the only one they mentioned by name, they make an annual trip, 2 days of 2 dives a day, they didn't mention the boat name either, but said it's a 6 diver boat, and they get every seat as a group.

Experience wise, just about finished up all my XRN stuff with SSI.  25 or so dives into the mid 40s in the lakes here so far.  My instructor for XRN, and another instructor, and myself all got a big enough taste of caves in FL last week, that we're going to do a trip next year back down to FL to do those classes. I don't think I've ever got a small taste of something and wanted a bigger bite so bad in my life.
View Quote
What’s XRN? Most Great Lakes charter boats are 6 packs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:00:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
eXtended Range Nitrox
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

eXtended Range Nitrox
View Quote
Huh? I’m used to TDI. Adv Nitrox gets you to 100% but you’re still limited to rec depths. Deco Procedures gets you to 150.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Huh? I’m used to TDI. Adv Nitrox gets you to 100% but you’re still limited to rec depths. Deco Procedures gets you to 150.
View Quote
130 with up to 50% O2.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

130 with up to 50% O2.
View Quote
Aka “light deco.”  Sounds like the way PADI does “tec” (hate that damned spelling, seems “cute.”  Put the damned h on the end).
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
45 meters, 100% O2 if you combine both classes, almost everyone does that.
60 meters, 2 deco gasses adding a third class, starting that in December.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Chassahowitzka Spring (trying to find cave entrances). Wanted to make a trip to Buford Sink happen this past weekend, but all the rain made it look like shit again.

Between sinus issues and employment changes, diving three times sucks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Chassahowitzka Spring (trying to find cave entrances). Wanted to make a trip to Buford Sink happen this past weekend, but all the rain made it look like shit again.

Between sinus issues and employment changes, diving three times sucks.
View Quote
Buford is on my list. I'm heading back to the panhandle in a few weeks, at the very least, the kid will dive Vortex and Morrison. I'm toying with helitrox or cavern for me.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Buford is on my list. I'm heading back to the panhandle in a few weeks, at the very least, the kid will dive Vortex and Morrison. I'm toying with helitrox or cavern for me.
View Quote
Cavern opens up way more possibilities site-wise IMO.

We just hit Buford today (first time for my buddy and I both), had a great dive in the first 60ish feet or so for about 90-120 mins I’m guessing (haven’t downloaded my logs yet). The boardwalk made it so nice.

He was prepping his XDeep and AL80’s for another trip to Mexico in March to do more exploration, so it was a rather relaxing day.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Started the year off in beautiful Sudan and spent a few days in UAE on the way back. Hit Tulum for a week of cave diving. Dove the outer Channel Islands in July off the Conception three weeks before it burnt up and decided to skip local boat trips for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Started the year off in beautiful Sudan and spent a few days in UAE on the way back. Hit Tulum for a week of cave diving. Dove the outer Channel Islands in July off the Conception three weeks before it burnt up and decided to skip local boat trips for awhile.
View Quote
Tell me about the Sudan.  I'm about to get to travel a lot more and Africa interests me.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top