Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/25/2021 11:41:50 AM EDT
Banks Cracking Down on Firearm Purchases

Attachment Attached File

Since before the end of 2020 I started gearing up my online gun-related purchases to try to "beat the reaper."

My last two gun buys were in cash.  They can't cancel that.  The problem is it's hard to order online with cash.

My thinking is, and I know this is Captain Obvious territory, get your online gun-related purchases as soon as possible, before your credit card company declines a purchase just for SJW horseshit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Cancel that fuckin card asap
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's not a violation of the issuing bank's terms, then it shouldn't freeze the card.

The real lesson learned is to use a credit card, not a debit card, so you're not cut off from bank account access.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Since when can a bank tell you how to spend your money?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
They should told BOA that they were undocumented immigrants and they wanted a mortgage...they probably would've let it slide

Speed
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real lesson learned is to use a credit card, not a debit card, so you're not cut off from bank account access.
View Quote

Something tells me in the long run even this is in danger.  The question is whether the SJW bullcrap is "window dressing" and the credit card issuers will continue to nod-nod-wink-wink allow the purchases because they are making too damn much money to stop, OR, if the SJW horseshit will cause certain "woke" bank CEO's to cancel firearms-related purchases to increase their street cred.

I suspect the answer lies in whether these CEO's might have future political ambitions.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny thing is I’ve NEVER had an issue with BofA. Have spent $10s of thousands in all manner of firearm/ammo/gear items since being issued my Alaska Airlines visa 12 years ago.

That said, I’ve had times when they’ve sent me a revised card due to suspected fraud, but no real correlation with the nature of my purchases from anything I could tell.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
guys BoA has alway been leftist and anti 2A.

There are plenty of other banks that dont peer into your personal business.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Something tells me in the long run even this is in danger.  The question is whether the SJW bullcrap is "window dressing" and the credit card issuers will continue to nod-nod-wink-wink allow the purchases because they are making too damn much money to stop, OR, if the SJW horseshit will cause certain "woke" bank CEO's to cancel firearms-related purchases to increase their street cred.

I suspect the answer lies in whether these CEO's might have future political ambitions.
View Quote

VISA's CEO came out on the side of allowing purchases of anything that's legal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's 2021. Everything is political.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
What if your answer is no? Free gun?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Funny thing is I’ve NEVER had an issue with BofA.
View Quote

In fairness, neither have I, although I think I haven't attempted buy buy an actual firearm with my card in the last three years.  I've bought a ton of gun-related items, mostly magazines.  The only transaction that got "flagged" was when I bought two of the same red dot within 24  hours during the Christmas season.  The flag was undoubtedly due to the multiple transaction rather than the item purchased.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#13]
tHEiR BuSiNesS tHeiR rULz
DOn'T LikE iT stArT yOur oWn bAnK

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Encouraging, but that's an awfully old article.  Things are changing so fast I wouldn't bank on that still being the case.  January 6 and all.

2019 was under Trump, and I expect to see a lot of these high finance types virture signalling the Biden administration.

That's just my speculation, but we've seen that before.

I still say, don't wait on gun-related purchases, especially online ones.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Start a class action.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:14:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Launch doesn't seem to give a shit what you buy. Even if you overdraft to buy a gun, launch will cover it lol
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Cash is king for now. I would take every cent I had out of that bank like yesterday.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#18]
As much as I love to shit on BOA, banks do this all the time when a large out of character purchase is made.

Also that cookie disclosure. LMAO

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Its not like the purchase is itemized- I went to Jed's Shooting Sports and bought a fuck ton of cleaning supplies.

And fuck you very much for asking!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Its not like the purchase is itemized-
View Quote

No, but if the cc issuer sees that the vendor's name is "So-and-so Shooter's Supply" it's the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever since the Feds ordered them to not let you withdraw all your savings in cash from your own account.
We must win the War on Drugs, the War on Terrorism and the War on Poverty at all costs, citizen and you must do your part.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually, I would want the bank to call me if there was an unusual large transaction on my card.
They have in the past when hundreds of dollars were charged at a vendor that I had never used before.
Was this the first time buying a firearm online?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#23]
This is also an old article, but it shows BofA's anti-gun stance

Bank of America confirmed Wednesday that it will no longer lend to gun-manufacturing companies that produce “military style” weapons for civilians.
View Quote

It's not a stretch to say they would start extending that to the retail level, although I do maintain that they're making so much money they might not.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#24]
My father told me he had a credit card canceled due to buying ammunition from PSA.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My father told me he had a credit card canceled due to buying ammunition from PSA.
View Quote

Without revealing  personal information, could you provide more details on this?  What card?  What bank?  Was it a huge purchase or somehow unusual that it might have gotten flagged for other reasons?

Call me paranoid, but I see a huge anti-gun boulder rolling down the hill from these huge credit card issuers, and I'm trying to finish up any online gun-related purchase as fast as possible.

I'm hoping all I will need in the next month or so is a couple of minor items.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:29:52 PM EDT
[#26]
"I read it on the internet, it must be true"

This place never ceases to amaze me.

Some of you are manipulated more easily than a small child.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Hmmm I'm not sure I'm buying this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Cancel that fuckin card asap
View Quote

THIS!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I guess New York, by banning online ammo purchases, is protecting me from myself
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I know from my time working in the card processing industry you can rate a business as High Risk and they would process at a higher rate and we would hold a higher reserve on them. But if the business is processing according to their bank ardent merchant processing agreement and the cardholders account is up to date I can't see a problem buying firearms or firearm related products from merchants. They would have to cancel the merchant's business type to do that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
guys BoA has alway been leftist and anti 2A.

There are plenty of other banks that dont peer into your personal business.
View Quote

This. Welcome to 20 years ago. Damn some of you people don't know who you're in bed with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Watts Wants Credit Card Companies to Monitor Gun Parts Purchases?

In her never-ending quest to strip Americans of their civil rights, the anti-Second Amendment founder of Mom’s Demand Action, Shannon Watts, has a new idea: have credit-card companies block their cards from being used to purchase gun parts.

In an opinion piece published by Business Insider, Watts decried so-called “ghost guns,” and insisted that anyone purchasing unfinished receiver and frame kits with credits cards were making “unlawful transactions.”
View Quote

In fact, there is nothing unlawful about such purchases.
View Quote

As Keane noted, this isn’t the first time the idea of credit-card companies blocking firearm and related purchases has been floated. In 2018, New York Times’ columnist Ross Sorkin made the rather fantastical argument that credit-card companies were at least partially responsible for the actions of mass shooters. Sorkin claimed that a Times investigation showed several mass murderers had made credit-card purchases of firearms and related items before they went on their murderous rampages.

Therefore, he argued, “credit cards have become a crucial part of the planning of these massacres,” making the credit-card companies “an instrumental, if unwitting, enabler of carnage.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Bank of America has been on some snake shit since day one. If you're still with them, you deserve what you get.

Didn't they lose a soldier's deployment pay?
Didn't they sell a bunch of mortgages, not tell the homeowners, still took the money, and the houses got foreclosed on?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I like a good emotional outburst like any red blooded American, but some of you people are losing your shit over an uncorroborated Twitter post from a guy with a cat avatar and the words "floof" in the handle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#35]
And then, one day, for no reason at all people voted hitler into power.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#36]
https://www.capitalone.com/legal/corporate/terms

One example of a credit card company's terms of service.  Apparently for Capital One certain purchases are prohibited but they have the option to enforce their policy or not:

Prohibited Payments
View Quote

The following types of payments are prohibited through the Service, and we have the right but not the obligation to monitor for, block, cancel and/or reverse such payments:
View Quote

Payments related to:... (SNIP) ...ammunition, firearms, or firearm parts or related accessories...
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cash is king for now. I would take every cent I had out of that bank like yesterday.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

What, you don't remember Operation Chokepoint from Obungo's time in the WH?

This isn't new; and Biden's team said they were going to start doing it again from day one.  They're removing regulations that said the banks can't fuck with you for political reasons.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I guess New York, by banning online ammo purchases, is protecting me from myself
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Without revealing  personal information, could you provide more details on this?  What card?  What bank?  Was it a huge purchase or somehow unusual that it might have gotten flagged for other reasons?

Call me paranoid, but I see a huge anti-gun boulder rolling down the hill from these huge credit card issuers, and I'm trying to finish up any online gun-related purchase as fast as possible.

I'm hoping all I will need in the next month or so is a couple of minor items.

I just called him to get all the details.

He bought a Colt 6920 from sportsmans and ammo from PSA.
card was shut down with in days of that.
Never late on any payments for 8 years and had a 827 fica.

They wouldn't give him a reason for closing the account other than "not a normal buyer buying family items"

Company was Capital One.  

He is sending me a picture of the letter, i'll black out personal info and post it if you like.

He is 100% certain it was for buying the firearm.

State is Arizona. No restrictions
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:06:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They wouldn't give him a reason for closing the account other than "not a normal buyer buying family items"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Company was Capital One.  

He is sending me a picture of the letter, i'll black out personal info and post it if you like.

He is 100% certain it was for buying the firearm.

State is Arizona. No restrictions

Interesting.  See my post above on Capital One's terms of service.   Guess they decided to "enforce" that time.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#42]
When is the right going to figure out that cryptocurrency (as a currency) solves these censorship issues?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll add that Chase bank has been good to go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hmmm I'm not sure I'm buying this.
View Quote

Me either. Not until I see some better evidence.

I don’t do business with boa and wouldn’t put it past them but this doesn’t sound very credible.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Crypto for the MF'N win!
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#46]
brb starting my own bank and credit card processor outside of visa/discover/mastercard/amex
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like a perfect excuse to default on them
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Bitcoin for the win
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#49]
BofA can eat it.
Sons of bitches shut down my CC that I was using for fuel back in 09.  I was coming out of Montana to go back to Ga. I was not behind in payments & I had told them I was traveling.  
BofA can eat it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sounds like a perfect excuse to default on them
View Quote

This has actually crossed my mind.

I have a reasonably high credit rating (in the high 700's).

I have a vehicle loan I have never made a late payment for.

I've asked myself, "What would happen, other than a hit to my credit rating, if I wrote a credit card company and told them to FUCK OFF for denying a credit card purchase for gun-related stuff?"

Would they sue me?

Would they try to garnish wages or something else (I know they're not the IRS and this would only work after a successful lawsuit)?

I just wonder what kind of shit storm would result if a person willfully defaulted in protest.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top