User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Average electric vehicle: 1500 parts.

Average ICE vehicle: 10,000 parts.

Conversation over. Electric vehicles will dominate commuting in the next few decades.
View Quote

With such simplicity, it seems EVs should be MUCH less expensive than they are.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

https://static.tweaktown.com/news/6/9/69304_01_here-best-mods-attachments-tesla-cybertruck.jpg

500 miles range
1100hp
AWD
1/8" stainless steel skin

Future is now gramps
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Sweet. Where is it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It has motors that break essentially never.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much does a new motor cost on other cars that go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds?

This isn't the motor.  Its the fuel tank.  Tesla has a motor as well.

Pardner, electric motors break all the time.  I've had to pull electric motors off of equipment and have the end bells turned and sleaved.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think I'll ever own an electric car. It just doesn't really satisfy a need for me. However, I could easily see where it would satisfy alot of needs for alot of people. And I think as technology advances, alot more people will see the advantages.  Tesla is pushing for a million mile battery pack. When they get there it will be a game changer. Again,  not for me. These are the future. Ice will always be around.  But look at chainsaws,  weedeaters and even lawnmowers.  All available in electric.
View Quote
And with very few exceptions, none of them are suitable for doing real work.  I guess the liberal utopian, high-density, urban, assigned housing won't have much need for anything beyond that, but isn't that kinda the point?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Tesla Model 3 starts at $37k, or about what a loaded Toyota Camry goes for.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pardner, electric motors break all the time.  I've had to pull electric motors off of equipment and have the end bells turned and sleaved.
View Quote

Electric motors are a llllooooooottttt less likely to break than turbocharged ICE engines with 8 speed transmissions.

This is why the maintenance bills on EVs are a fraction of ICE autos.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I still think we're going about it all backwards. First should be the upgrade to the infrastructure that will be needed to support all this. Because yea an outlet cable of charging and electric vehicle very quickly at every parking spot does seem like a bigger problem than many people realize.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't figure out how to find a charging port near some restaurants where you can eat and charge for once or twice a week...

Or don't have a charger at work....

Or don't have your own parking area at home....

Maybe it isn't for you? Lol.

We landed people on the moon and split the atom, but outlets on sidewalks are a bridge too far...
I still think we're going about it all backwards. First should be the upgrade to the infrastructure that will be needed to support all this. Because yea an outlet cable of charging and electric vehicle very quickly at every parking spot does seem like a bigger problem than many people realize.

Outlets?  No problem.

Connecting all those outlets to a grid robust enough to supply them with electricity?

Problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
there are  shops that can  break  down your tesla battery.

find the bad cell and replace it.

and it will not cost  `16 grand.  

View Quote

I would think that those battery banks would need to be replaced together lest you create some dangerous issues.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nobody in this thread is advocating that ICE be made illegal, any more than Henry Ford advocated that horse powered transport be made illegal. He produced a product that was superior in every way, and the infrastructure changed itself to reflect that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electric cars are the future.

If you disagree, it's because you haven't done the math. It's that simple.

It is the future but it won't be the total future unless gov mandated.

If ICE is not banned then they will be around for another 100 years

By 2050 1/3 of all cars are going to be electric, the other 2/3 will be hybrids

Nobody in this thread is advocating that ICE be made illegal, any more than Henry Ford advocated that horse powered transport be made illegal. He produced a product that was superior in every way, and the infrastructure changed itself to reflect that.
Again that's not what we're seeing, is it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Then why do they have so many pumps? For something that takes less than 5-10 minutes to fill? Maybe because of anticipating demand or if there's a problem with one or more or something?

What's the anticipated demand if your vehicle needs an hour at one of those spots?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Electric Cars' range are quickly catching up to ICE range.

And charging times are coming down as well.

Even if it takes 6 times longer to charge...

How often do you see EVERY gas pump taken up at a Sheetz?

God help us...........

Do you regularly see every gas pump at every gas station with a car at it?

I generally see about 1/4 to 1/3 of pumps taken up.
Then why do they have so many pumps? For something that takes less than 5-10 minutes to fill? Maybe because of anticipating demand or if there's a problem with one or more or something?

What's the anticipated demand if your vehicle needs an hour at one of those spots?
The turnover rate on those pumps is pretty quick, and those pumps have to accommodate a lot of traffic during rush hours.

Someone can make an argument that charging at home cuts into the demand for "pump" space, but regardless of how the math works out, I don't want to be waiting 6x longer for my range to be replenished.

I get gas when I can, and not until I need it.  I'm usually in a hurry too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The battery is the big cost.

They are dropping in price by 15-18% per year.

Tesla 4680s are targeting <$60 at the pack level.

This chart is why ICE is doomed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And with very few exceptions, none of them are suitable for doing real work.  I guess the liberal utopian, high-density, urban, assigned housing won't have much need for anything beyond that, but isn't that kinda the point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think I'll ever own an electric car. It just doesn't really satisfy a need for me. However, I could easily see where it would satisfy alot of needs for alot of people. And I think as technology advances, alot more people will see the advantages.  Tesla is pushing for a million mile battery pack. When they get there it will be a game changer. Again,  not for me. These are the future. Ice will always be around.  But look at chainsaws,  weedeaters and even lawnmowers.  All available in electric.

I so would like an electric riding mower.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Electric motors are a llllooooooottttt less likely to break than turbocharged ICE engines with 8 speed transmissions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Until that battery pack shits the bed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Imagine if our entire infrastructure was built for electric cars and then someone invented the ICE and suggested switching to it. They would be laughed out of town.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My Son has Inlaws that are earth hugging anti-trump stupid motherfuckers. They bought a Prius, stretched their budget to do it, have to get up every night at 2:30am to "un plug the charger so it doesn't hurt the battery" and now it's time to replace the battery pack. Can't afford to do it. Can't sell it like it is. REFUSES to believe it wasn't a GREAT deal.
View Quote
Maybe they do, but I gotta think that some sort of timer is available to turn off charging at a specific time if the vehicle can't do it itself.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
This doesn't bother Karen & Gregg. They lease their Tesla, and aren't bothered by things such as replacement parts.

They did their research on their iThing while waiting in line at Lululemon, where Gregg's new jogging outfit was on clearance.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet the Camry has nearly 7 times as many parts that need to be produced and assembled.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sweet. Where is it?
View All Quotes

Urge to buy P-40 vinyls rising...

300 mile range
600hp
AWD

Is the best I can do at the moment.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Until that battery pack shits the bed.
View Quote

Which will probably happen to less people than an ICE needing a transmission replaced. I hear 8 speed AWD transmissions are cheap too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's the point.

And the tech on EVs is advancing such that almost nobody is going to chose an ICE by the early 2030s.

It will literally be like "For $40k, I can buy an EV with 500 miles of range and 800 AWD horsepower that will cost $0.04 per mile in fuel, or I can buy a 300hp ICE that costs $0.11 per mile in fuel"
View Quote
Yea and maybe by 2030 we won't be able to get into a new vehicle for less than $40,000.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Just root your car and install linux
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Until it all gets shut down with the click of a mouse.

I get what you're saying I really do. But that's not the direction we seem to be heading, is it?

If a company comes out with an EV that's completely disconnected from the internet like my current car maybe I'd be more interested.

Just root your car and install linux
You joke but if you find a way to enable a feature like fast charging that Tesla disabled, even if you don't use it, just enabled it Tesla will go after you legally.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:52:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They didn't build all the gas stations and refineries needed before we had gas cars.

The number of gas stations and ICE infrastructure grew with the number of ICE cars.

The same will be true of EVs.

This issue is not an issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They didn't build all the gas stations and refineries needed before we had gas cars.

The number of gas stations and ICE infrastructure grew with the number of ICE cars.

The same will be true of EVs.

This issue is not an issue.
Again that's starting from nothing not knowing anything. You seem very confident EVs will be the future why when I say it would be a good idea to get ahead of it on the infrastructure?

It's not going to be like putting a large tank in the ground....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My car will burn $10,000 in gas over it’s entire life.

16k is a lot to spend on an energy tank that you have to fill every 200 miles.
View Quote

That's not a lot of gas at all! I average $3,500-$4k/ year in gas in my truck.

Tesla warranties all batteries and engines for I think 8 years. So replacing it at $16k after 8 years is still substantially cheaper than gas.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use to think this too. Until my FIL got a Tesla. They are so much fun to drive. You would have to spend well into the 6 figures to get that kind of jump off the line with a gas car.

I really want a Tesla truck when it rolls out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But these and other $50k+ cars you have to throw away every 5 - 8 years are going to replace gasoline cars.
View Quote

Yes

Yes they are going to replace them. Not today, not tomorrow, but in the foreseeable future.

People that can't see this are delusional. There were people in the 90s that thought the internet wouldn't take over our lives.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

300 mile range
600hp
AWD

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/20201031_141925-1662542.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:

300 mile range
600hp
AWD

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/138374/20201031_141925-1662542.jpg
And if I won the lottery I would have bought one
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I love how people think electric vehicles are part of a grand Must Comply enslavement scheme.

How much effort would it take for you, right now, to construct a way to generate your own electricity at home?

Comparatively, how much effort would it take for you, right now, to construct a way to synthesize gasoline at home?

Cord cutters and off the grid types should be delighted by electric vehicles. They open up so many more possibilities for you.
View Quote

It's difficult to *deny* gasoline to someone

It's extremely easy to deny use to a Tesla driver.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Tesla warranties all batteries and engines for I think 8 years. So replacing it at $16k after 8 years is still substantially cheaper than gas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My car will burn $10,000 in gas over it’s entire life.

16k is a lot to spend on an energy tank that you have to fill every 200 miles.

Don't tell them lol. They like to pretend they buy their car off the lot and they don't have to spend any money on it
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:58:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
But these and other $50k+ cars you have to throw away every 5 - 8 years are going to replace gasoline cars.
View Quote

They will. Municipalities are already working on mandating it.

Gasoline cars and trucks just can't keep up with the power and performance that you can easily get from electric. Regulations are shackling gas engines, while boosting electric.

It's going to happen sooner than you're probably imagining.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

And yet the Camry has nearly 7 times as many parts that need to be produced and assembled.
View Quote

And way better range.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Toyota has decided to go fuel cells.  Zero emissions except water vapor and rapid refueling.

The Cell will likely last for decades.  You will transfer it to a new car.  Your car will have a price with or without a cell.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like the sort of thing a supervillain makes his henchmen drive around inside the hollowed out volcano.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://static.tweaktown.com/news/6/9/69304_01_here-best-mods-attachments-tesla-cybertruck.jpg

500 miles range
1100hp
AWD
1/8" stainless steel skin

Future is now gramps
View All Quotes

And the most important feature of all; fictitious
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The battery has a minimum lifespan of 1,500 charge cycles, which should translate to 300,000+ miles (standard range/standard range plus) to 500,000 miles (long-range variants)

New batteries will be hitting 1 million miles+ lifespan within a few years.
View Quote

But you still have to drive around in a Tesla...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

We were supposed to have flying cars by 1980.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ICE will be reduced to niche applications.

We were supposed to have flying cars by 1980.

And out of fossil fuels.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I get what you're saying I really do. But that's not the direction we seem to be heading, is it?

If a company comes out with an EV that's completely disconnected from the internet like my current car maybe I'd be more interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love how people think electric vehicles are part of a grand Must Comply enslavement scheme.

How much effort would it take for you, right now, to construct a way to generate your own electricity at home?

Comparatively, how much effort would it take for you, right now, to construct a way to synthesize gasoline at home?

Cord cutters and off the grid types should be delighted by electric vehicles. They open up so many more possibilities for you.

Exactly.

All electric cars are being marketed as 'smart cars'

I have yet to encounter a single 'smart' device that wasn't burdened with garbage software, from phones to thermostats.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If a company starts doing that. And who knows they might.

There would be a hell of a price to pay if they did. Never mind the possibility that the system might be hacked into. Which is a thing that people have already demonstrated...

With internal combustion powered cars!!!
View Quote
Indeed, it is stupid how newer ICE cars have chosen to incorporate this weakness, as well
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Wrong.

Those of us who remember what OPEC did to us in the 70s are dumbfounded at people doing the same thing only with the Chinese. Raw materials for li-ion batteries aren't mined here, I don't believe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My wife's Prius is 10 years old with close to 90,000 miles and the battery health is fine.

Replacement ICE's aren't cheap either and aren't getting any cheaper, however batteries will only become cheaper.
Wrong.

Those of us who remember what OPEC did to us in the 70s are dumbfounded at people doing the same thing only with the Chinese. Raw materials for li-ion batteries aren't mined here, I don't believe.

The entire green-whatever movement is now geared toward turning America into a client state wholly dependent on China for its energy needs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#39]
200,000 miles divided by 20 mpg = 10,000 gallons
10,000 gallons x $4.00 Per Xiden gallon = $40,000.00

$16,000.00 battery saves $24,000.00!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When I'm looking to buy an offroading vehicle for my vacation on Mars, I'll probably be looking at electric.  In the meantime, I don't feel like being a part of his R&D team.  I have my own business to worry about, and if you are thinking that this stuff isn't being driven by the religion of environmentalism, you are whistling past the graveyard.

When the tech is ready, people will readily adopt them.  We won't have condescending pricks on AR15.com telling us we are too stupid or boomerish to appreciate where things are with EVs on January, 27th, 2021.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battery technology and charger availability will never improve!

Electric cars are a top down driven tech, driven by the establishment religion of environmentalism. Battery tech will improve but likely not like those pushing it want. All tech doesn't advance the same way.

Elon is not driven by environmentalism, hes going to Mars and there is no dino oil to burn there.
When I'm looking to buy an offroading vehicle for my vacation on Mars, I'll probably be looking at electric.  In the meantime, I don't feel like being a part of his R&D team.  I have my own business to worry about, and if you are thinking that this stuff isn't being driven by the religion of environmentalism, you are whistling past the graveyard.

When the tech is ready, people will readily adopt them.  We won't have condescending pricks on AR15.com telling us we are too stupid or boomerish to appreciate where things are with EVs on January, 27th, 2021.

Fire breathing synthfuel roadsters will still be cooler on Mars

Hydrocarbons are simply a better storage & transport medium.  Find a way to create a simple synthetic fuel from CO2 and water (both extremely common on Mars), which uses approximately the same energy as you'd need for comparable battery systems (if not less since no battery losses).  We presently have lazy, biomatter based fermentation methods, but it's probably possible do it electrolytically, maybe even inside a solar fuel cell.

At that point, you're done; you have total freedom to use, store, transport, or refine that stable hydrocarbon fuel however you wish.  Far more flexible than a battery.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It cant really work like that, most people are not going to pay extra now for a future capability.  It will take rolling blackouts in most cities before they actually fix anything.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't figure out how to find a charging port near some restaurants where you can eat and charge for once or twice a week...

Or don't have a charger at work....

Or don't have your own parking area at home....

Maybe it isn't for you? Lol.

We landed people on the moon and split the atom, but outlets on sidewalks are a bridge too far...

It cant really work like that, most people are not going to pay extra now for a future capability.  It will take rolling blackouts in most cities before they actually fix anything.

Especially after decades of "X type of power generation is WRONG!" propoganda, combined with obsessively reducing consumption.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#42]
With diesel making energy at home consists of making alcohol like the moonshiners have done for generations. Just set up a still from even crude materials. Now how does you make the electricty - solar panels from China?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Guns, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, so how would YOU refer to already enacted legislation prohibiting the sale of new ICE vehicles after a certain date?

This is the same communist plot that got lead paint and asbestos phases out

Guns, too.

And DDT.  We were supposedly ten years from annihilating mankind's greatest scourge, malaria, like we did smallpox.  A small price to pay for dumpster-raiding bald eagles, though!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like a real free country there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much does a new motor cost on other cars that go 0-60 in 2.8 seconds?

This isn't the motor.  Its the fuel tank.  Tesla has a motor as well.

That isn't even getting into sensors, drivers/power supplies, or control boards, lol.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#46]
How much for an LS swap?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Toyota has decided to go fuel cells.  Zero emissions except water vapor and rapid refueling.

The Cell will likely last for decades.  You will transfer it to a new car.  Your car will have a price with or without a cell.
View Quote
To me hydrogen fuel cells do seem like a better alternative.

I think there is a lot of potential there that could be made better from engineering solutions.

Even if someone comes up with better batteries the problem of how to get the energy into the batteries will always remain.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hadn't heard that; I guess they found a way around delicate, platinum-based parts?

It really is the best of both worlds, in theory.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're banking on car ownership rates to collapse.  Auto manufacturers (and governments, I assume, since they have their hands in everything now) are expecting everyone to use more Uber like services - you would subscribe to a service that regularly takes you to and from work and/or can be summoned for errands.  I sometimes wonder if all the electronics and safety mandates are really not just efforts to increase cost and further this end.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Hadn't heard that; I guess they found a way around delicate, platinum-based parts?

It really is the best of both worlds, in theory.
View Quote

lol Fuel cells are the worst of both worlds

high fuel cost and high capital cost.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top