Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2022 4:06:00 AM EDT
I keep hearing about a law like: "There is no comprehensive national system of gun registration. In fact, federal law prohibits the use of the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to create any system of registration of firearms or firearm owners."
Where may I find that law?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:04:44 AM EDT
[#1]
FOPA 1986

https://www.congress.gov/bill/99th-congress/senate-bill/49

Towards the bottom
Amends the rulemaking authority of the Secretary to provide that no regulation may require: (1) the transfer of records required under this Act to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State; or (2) the establishment of any system of registration of firearms, firearm owners, or firearm transactions. Requires a 90-day public comment period for proposed regulations.
View Quote
Most have argued that a searchable data base is a de-facto registration which this language prohibits
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Reportedly it was part of a compromise to get other anti-gun legislation approved some years ago.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah but the government's not going to punish the government for breaking a law against the government that the government created.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 5:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalashnikov762] [#4]
Yes...it's unlawful.  The feds get away with it by establishing regional information centers....therefore not national.  Sleazy......yes but so far not challenged as far as I know.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]
even if it ever is challenged, it will not matter. They already have the info and it will never be fully destroyed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top