Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2022 4:14:34 AM EDT
So there is this watch subscription service.   Keep the watches, but kind of pricey.

Been looking for a good quality watch ~$1k, so I'd be look at the "black tier".  Any suggestion is appreciated.

Is this worth it?

https://help.watchgang.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015571733-How-much-does-it-cost-
https://www.watchgang.com/#how-it-works

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF???

Hell no. That doesn't make any sense at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WTF???

Hell no. That doesn't make any sense at all.
View Quote

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to watches.   Can you explain a bit?  

Are the watches they're advertising available under "msrp" or something else?    

Is a single $1k watch better than 12 $200-500?   Not that I'd really want 12, probably 3 maybe 4.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Is a single $1k watch better than 12 $200-500?   Not that I'd really want 12, probably 3 maybe 4.  

View Quote

I don't care how nice the watches are. They are not a consumable. Subscription services are for things that are consumable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#4]
No. You’ll get a bunch of random low end stuff you probably don’t like. Hell invictas often have $800 on their tags and go for $90, I bet you’d get versions of those.

Search the forum here for stuff you like, SBS buy off the EE. If you find you don’t like something sell it for what you paid or a bit less.

I did that with a Seiko. Didn’t love it after the second week, so sold it. Only cost me shipping.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Will you get watches below MSRP yes.

Will they be disconnected models' from brands you have never heard of. Mostly!!

Will you end up with a few watches you like, and several you do not like.

If you are the guy that like the change out his watches everyday, and has a watch box full of different ones, then it might be for you.

But me I am PICKY, and know what I like. And save up & have a few & get exactly what I like.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
A quick browse of their archives showing what watches they have sent out in the past at their highest paid tier yielded a bunch of stuff I have never heard of before that all looked about the same. Instead of a new watch every month that you know nothing about, I'd do a lot of research into finding one watch that really spoke to me or caught my interest. Then I'd take the $2k I'd saved in subscription fees and pick up one really nice piece that I would really enjoy wearing and would be more special or meaningful. Hell it doesn't even have to be the full $2k, maybe you find a nice Seiko or Hamilton or Sinn and come in at half that price. My point is, instead of having an overpriced subscription service send you a bunch of cheap watches spend some time finding something better. Don't be afraid to ask for recommendations here as well, there's a lot of helpful members and we all have to start somewhere!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys,

This is essentially what I figured would be the case.

Like I said, I know nothing about quality watches, so when browsing their archives, I couldn't tell if they were unknown brands, or if y'all would know them.

Appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't be ashamed to be a watch noob.

I only started about 4 or 5 years ago because I am bored to death of guns.

This forum is a good place to start but be forewarned....it is an addictive hobby.

You tube has a good selection of watch channels that will kind of get you going such as Urban Gentry, Just One More Watch, Teddy Baldassare, Jenni Elle, Random Rob, etc.

As a beginner I'll list you some of my favorite experiences:

Steinhart, Hamilton, Zodiac, and Victorinox and Glycine for Swiss

Seiko, Orient and Ocean X for Japanese/Singapore/Far East

I've been super happy with everything I have purchased.

So you know, Lume-Wise ( I don't consider it all that important because if it isn't radioactive, I don't consider it lume, I consider it glow in the dark paint ) Glycine and Seiko and Ocean X have been my best.  Steinhart is okay....not too bad.   Everything else is rubbish as for as glow life is concerned. Citizen, Orient and Victorinox being the worst of my lot.

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys,

Like I said, I know nothing about quality watches, so when browsing their archives, I couldn't tell if they were unknown brands, or if y'all would know them.

Appreciate the info!
View Quote

Researching a watch for weeks then going on the hunt for the right deal for the exact right watch (size, dial, hands, strap, movement, etc) is a lot of the benefit of the watch community. Almost all my watches are pre-owned, so they all show up with some kind of story of how I found it, etc. It seems like the subscription service does away with that completely:
  "Nice watch, man."  
        "Thanks, the algorithm shipped it to me. I am satisfied with the service."

I think you'll be happier picking something, anything, out on your own and getting your hands a little dirty along the way.  Cheers!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This forum is a good place to start but be forewarned....it is an addictive hobby.

You tube has a good selection of watch channels that will kind of get you going such as Urban Gentry, Just One More Watch, Teddy Baldassare, Jenni Elle, Random Rob, etc.

So you know, Lume-Wise ( I don't consider it all that important because if it isn't radioactive, I don't consider it lume, I consider it glow in the dark paint ) Glycine and Seiko and Ocean X have been my best.  Steinhart is okay....not too bad.   Everything else is rubbish as for as glow life is concerned. Citizen, Orient and Victorinox being the worst of my lot.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rolex’s Chromalight is the best lume I’ve seen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys,

Appreciate the info!
View Quote

Feel free to ask questions here on this forum. Bunch of super knowledgeable folks here. We will steer you in the right direction for sure!
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Rolex's Chromalight is the best lume I've seen.
View Quote
Some day I will have a black on black Submariner.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 11:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Rolex’s Chromalight is the best lume I’ve seen.
View Quote

Ball beats them all.  However it’s radioactive.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
The fun is doing the research for yourself, buying a few, flipping a few, finding what works for you. Not having some skinny jeans guy pick your watches for you. Check out watchuseek.com.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Feel free to ask questions here on this forum. Bunch of super knowledgeable folks here. We will steer you in the right direction for sure!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks!  Dipped my toe into the waters with a Seiko SRPG31 for a daily.  Snagged it for $180 and then 4 bands for it.  

Quoted:
The fun is doing the research for yourself, buying a few, flipping a few, finding what works for you. Not having some skinny jeans guy pick your watches for you. Check out watchuseek.com.

Yeah, I can agree with that, just looking for my first and a quality beater, I was numb from the hunt .    I definitely see how this can become a very expensive hobby.  Really only wanted a quality daily and nice dress watch, and now have a not so short list that I want.

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks!  Dipped my toe into the waters with a Seiko SRPG31 for a daily.  Snagged it for $180 and then 4 bands for it.  

Yeah, I can agree with that, just looking for my first and a quality beater, I was numb from the hunt .    I definitely see how this can become a very expensive hobby.  Really only wanted a quality daily and nice dress watch, and now have a not so short list that I want.

View Quote

Those Seiko field watches are awesome and so versatile !        Myt arab dial model (very similar to yours) i love wearing and usually wear it with the James Bond strap colorway  -- took me a couple of weeks to get used to an automatic though

Post up some pics when you can !

I also checked out WatchGang after you posted your thread and some YouTube videos some customers made --  I gotta say, i'd rather have a couple of Seikos than 12 of the watches they mail out on the subscriber service

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#17]
OP in the $1K range? I would look at a higher end Seiko or a Christopher Ward.

You looking for a diver or field watch?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Those Seiko field watches are awesome and so versatile !        Myt arab dial model (very similar to yours) i love wearing and usually wear it with the James Bond strap colorway  -- took me a couple of weeks to get used to an automatic though

Post up some pics when you can !

I also checked out WatchGang after you posted your thread and some YouTube videos some customers made --  I gotta say, i'd rather have a couple of Seikos than 12 of the watches they mail out on the subscriber service

https://i.imgur.com/ww4WOAE.jpg
View Quote
Thats a great combination!

Here's mine with a barton racer band
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP in the $1K range? I would look at a higher end Seiko or a Christopher Ward.

You looking for a diver or field watch?
View Quote
No real preference to be honest.  Field watches or a Chrono if I had to pick but pretty open to anything.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thats a great combination!

Here's mine with a barton racer band
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/431167/20220823_213825_1_jpeg-2500699.JPG
View Quote

Looks sharp !
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:22:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice Seiko Chrono

CW Chrono

A couple that come to mind.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats on the watch 3n1gm4! I think you chose very wisely!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top