User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/5/2022 9:00:28 PM EDT
Rainbow Bridge (Port Arthur, TX) westbound

That's pretty damn steep, lol.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I pulled a 5th wheel over that bridge.  It wasn't that bad.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]
As I read the thread title, I thought to myself - probably TX. Many on and off ramps with high pucker factor. Many cloverleafs around DFW made me wonder who thought these were fine...
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been over that bridge many times..... it's the approach that freaks you out.

When I was a kid, driving over the old Skyway bridge was a terrifying experience

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's put someone on a skateboard and see.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll be the guy riding the dotted white line right in the middle going 30mph.

Fuck bridges. Everything should be tunnels. Tunnels have a nice comfortable feeling with a warm glow at the end of them. Kinda like the birth canal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been over that bridge many times..... it's the approach that freaks you out.

When I was a kid, driving over the old Skyway bridge was a terrifying experience

https://www.floridamemory.com/fpc/DOT/DOT2168.jpg
View Quote

I still have the Newsweek magazine from when that bridge collapsed after being hit by the freighter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try riding a single speed bicycle over that motherfucker, it is that bad. Ask me how I know.

Oh and if y'all want to know how to kill yourself real quick, just coast down that motherfucker on the same bicycle.   Ask me how I know that too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Drive the Mackinac Island Bridge on a motorcycle if you want pucker factor.
In high wind.

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Try riding a single speed bicycle over that motherfucker, it is that bad. Ask me how I know.

Oh and if y'all want to know how to kill yourself real quick, just coast down that motherfucker on the same bicycle.   Ask me how I know that too.
View Quote

You rode a bicycle over that thing???
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I drove that bridge every day for about 4 years, it's steep af.
i also drove the entire thing with my boat unlatched at the hitch. I didn't notice the hitch lock sitting in my console until I was at the top, talk about pucker factor on the way down.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad you got better!
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're fucking crazier than fuck, holy shit!
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Old route 9 bridge in south amboy nj over the raritan river was pretty steep. New one is lower.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive never been here but this looks like fun. Chesapeake Bay Bridge in a thunderstorm

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I drive over it every day.. nothing to it now that all the traffic in both lanes heads south..

Prior to the Memorial bridge being built adjacent to it to handle North bound traffic it was a regular cluster..

It had one lane heading north and one lane heading south.. no divider or barrier between the lanes.. as a kid following an 18 wheeler up one side was a crap shoot if he was gonna clack mirrors with another 18 wheeler coming the opposite way..  those when it was truly exciting, although I does claim a couple lives a year now..

Daily drive..

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Bridge from Astoria Oregon across the Colombia River to Washington was steep and narrow enough to impress me the time I went across it.

Crossing the narrow Astoria bridge
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#19]
The new one on a motorcycle is fun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]
The one on 17 outside of Brunswick Georgia that goes over the Turtle river is a pretty steep one as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:30:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. Yes I did.   I thought I was a badass when I was 17 and playing highschool football.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Yep, that’s a fun one. The view from the top is great.

Wait, isn’t that one in @OnlineAllTheTime ‘s backyard?
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Drive over it all the time.  Used to daily when I worked.  

It was much scarier when I was a kid because it was 2 way traffic-----and the lanes were narrower because there was a bike/walking path on the side.  

Every kid dreaded it come driver's test time.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Harry Nice bridge.  Fuck that.

Harry Nice Bridge | SCARY POV Driving!
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Bet that's fun in the snow.

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yep, that’s a fun one. The view from the top is great.

Wait, isn’t that one in @OnlineAllTheTime ‘s backyard?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was in drivers-ed in the late 70s it was one lane north one lane south, The last week of driver-ed included driving over it and back, good times
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#28]
All these new locals popping up.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:38:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah small world
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm glad you got better!
View Quote

I am glad I did too.  I was dead for about a year and a half.

As I was going down I almost got hit by 3 or 4 cars that were coming up.  I was all over both sides of the road. I couldn't keep the bike in a straight line.  One of the only real times I thought I was going to die.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#31]
There's one in Tampa that looks pretty steep.  Looks steeper from a distance that when you are actually driving over it though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:40:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Bridge from Astoria Oregon across the Colombia River to Washington was steep and narrow enough to impress me the time I went across it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7TFDHl60QA
View Quote
Try the Longview bridge sometime!
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#33]
My wife screams like a high school girl when we drive over it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Damn check out this one in Japan.  

Looks like one of those gunny sack slides at the fair.

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:45:31 PM EDT
[#35]
When I lived in Orange & worked in Port Arthur, I rode over the "Rainbow Bridge" on my motorcycle daily.  It was 2-way traffic then.  It was "stop and go" for a few months when it was being painted in the early 80s (that was something waiting for the flagger to give you the GO signal).  Pretty wild times for sure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My wife screams like a high school girl when we drive over it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:47:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Used to live in the vicinity and drive that way to HEB. It's not bad.

IIRC, it was built that way so the navy's airship tenders could fit under it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I do have a bit of a bridge phobia.   Several recurring nightmares featuring bridges throughout my life.  

There was a bit of hesitation when we discussed moving *way over here* and how it would mean the bridges every day to and from work.  Got used to it really quickly.  If traffic allows I'm usually doing 80 with my music blaring and it barely registers.  

Foggy days are kind of crazy though.  You get up there and it's like you're in the clouds.  Literally can't see anything but the road ahead of you and a blanket of white covering everything else.  Pretty surreal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Gov Thomas Johnson Bridge, between Calvert and St. Mary's Counties in MD. 135ft up and back down over 1.5 miles. 2 lanes, no overhead structure.

Thomas Johnson Bridge at Solomons

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I grew up in Maryland and the rest of my family is in Sarasota. I would have said the Chesapeake bay bridge or the Skyway (the new, the old was just insane) over Tampa Bay would be the steepest. They are pretty wicked to go over.

ETA.

I am not scared of bridges,  but this one terrified me. I have been over it maybe a half dozen times in my life.

New River Gorge

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Used to live in the vicinity and drive that way to HEB. It's not bad.

IIRC, it was built that way so the navy's airship tenders could fit under it.
View Quote

What I was told was it was so the tallest ship in the navy at the time could pass under it.   And that for whatever reason by the time it was built there was no need for that ship to do so anyway.  

Guess  wiki interviewed my mom about it too.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bridge_
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Average grade is 2%, which is nothing.  I rode a 2 mile long 2% grade "hill" just today.  I did not even down shift when going uphill.  

This is a visual perception issue.

It starts at sea level and goes up 170 ft, then back down but it is almost 2 miles long.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yeah small world
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah small world

Not all that new.. looks like all the TX posters here are 2008/2009..

Could be a bunch of 13'ers,  geeesh  lol

How close were y'all to the TPC explosion?  I Got a bunch of good pictures from top of the Rainbow..

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not really scared of high bridges but I have had some weird dreams about really high exposed bridges where I was terrifed.
In real life, not so much.  weird.

What's really scary about the Sunshine skyway bridge is knowing that once it was broken by a large ship and people just drove off it into the water and died as you go over it in the fog.

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-05-09-sunshine-skyway-collapse-40th-anniversary
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:55:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Columbia River Astoria bridge
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Try the Longview bridge sometime!
View Quote

I drive over the Longview bridge fairly often- not too bad.
The Astoria bridge stresses me out & I avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Average grade is 2%, which is nothing.  I rode a 2 mile long 2% grade "hill" just today.  I did not even down shift when going uphill.  

This is a visual perception issue.

It starts at sea level and goes up 170 ft, then back down but it is almost 2 miles long.
View Quote

Not quite.  Height is 230 ft.

he bridge that features road length of 7,700 feet, 5 percent grade, main span clearance of 680-foot (210 m) and water clearance of 177 feet
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.floridamemory.com/fpc/DOT/DOT2168.jpg
View Quote

250cc sport bike in windy conditions
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Ive never been here but this looks like fun. Chesapeake Bay Bridge in a thunderstorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AOPfXoH9vs
View Quote

We drive it all the time on on the way to our beach place in ocean city md.

It's 18 miles over the water and 2 tunnels.  Insane.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Not all that new.. looks like all the TX posters here are 2008/2009..

Could be a bunch of 13'ers,  geeesh  lol

How close were y'all to the TPC explosion?  I Got a bunch of good pictures from top of the Rainbow..

View Quote

Sorry, meant new as in I didn't realize were locals previously.  I knew several who've posted were (Willmar, Old_Painless, Smokie, JAG2955) but the rest of y'all are new to me.  

ETA  For TPC 7 miles as the eagle flies.  Close enough that I bolted out of bed thinking either a plane had crashed or a plant exploded.  Our couch was covered in bits of drywall texture that had gotten knocked off.  Sister lives a few streets away from TPC and they got to come stay here for a few days when they evacuated.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top