Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 11:31:20 PM EDT
I just sawed through the cable from the dish to my hopper. It says "18awg RG-6 75 ohm high performance 3.0ghz digital CATV cable". Is this or can it be replaced with the regular coax like Wal Mart sells in 100' rolls? The ends look the same.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
How much did you loose 3” - 3’ ?

They sell patch kits that work well for instances like your, But you many just want to replace the whole line the upper end line you listed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It's 3 GHZ RG6   the wall mart stuff may work.. I'd just splice it most likely and waterproof the connection, but you need the crisper and crimps to do it.  just call directv and have them fix it
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's 3 GHZ RG6   the wall mart stuff may work.. I'd just splice it most likely and waterproof the connection, but you need the crisper and crimps to do it.  just call directv and have them fix it
View Quote

Funny you should mention DirecTV. It was their line. DirecTV SUCKS! They left the line just laying on ground in my backyard, when we switched to Dish that guy just used a coupler with 2 male ends to connect to the DirecTV line. So flash forward a few years and we have a 10' tall blackberry thicket growing in the back yard and I'm out there going crazy with a chain saw and the TV gos out, I cut through it. I'm going to re route it so this doesn't happen again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Funny you should mention DirecTV. It was their line. DirecTV SUCKS! They left the line just laying on ground in my backyard.
View Quote

Installers are too high $$ / hr to bury the wire. They are supposed to call in the cheap labor to follow up with that. But it often gets forgotten, overlooked or rescheduled.

Even so, all they do is make a slit with a spade and shove it down about 3".

It's actually cheaper for them to replace the occasionally cut cable, than to spend time burying them any deeper.

Also, the outdoor grade coax has some kind of thick oil in it. The purpose is to reduce water intrusion if the housing becomes worn or damaged. Your walmart special is probably indoor cable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The stuff for the hopper has I think a quad shielding on it for signal quality.

Quad shield RG-6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top