Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2018 3:17:17 PM EDT
My grandson enlisted in the Air National Guard this past spring. I asked his father the other day when he would be going to basic training and he said they weren't sure yet, but it would probably be sometime in October. And what about tech school? They have no idea when that is either.

WTF? How can they not know when he's going to basic, months after he got sworn in?

Back when I enlisted in the AF 44 years ago, the recruiter had everything lined up when I raised my hand. Date for basic, date for tech school, etc.

Is this normal for the Air Guard?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Call the recruiter or the unit to get the skinny on your grandson.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Normal.

States generally fall behind AD in priority and the states have their own order of merit based on need, unit type, OPTEMPO, etc.

He will like encounter a number of “bubbles” between each phase of training.
View Quote
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Kid still in school? 17?

Delayed Entry Program can be vague on times.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I did the Delayed Entry as well due to going to college but I had a rough idea the following year of when I'd go.  We knew it would be May timeframe so I could be back for fall semester.  It wasn't until April before I knew my exact dates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top