Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2021 10:31:17 PM EDT
I found THIS for $100 cheaper than any of the big watch sellers or Amazon. Compare the first photo in the ad to the second. My concern is the stock photo in their ad looks different than the photo they took of the actual watch. The second picture looks like a totally different colored watch. The band and the dial. Also notice that the writing at the 6:00 position is extensive and different than in the stock photo.

Seiko website photo:
Attachment Attached File

Their photo:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah that doesn’t look right
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Hard to say. Lighting can make a world of difference when it comes to how colors look online. They've got a hundred percent feedback rating...

Same kind of pics here with the different text:

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/seiko-prospex-srpe05-king-turtle-green-dial--new---id14378926.htm

If you do an image search for SRPE05 you can find plenty of images with the "longer" text. Maybe it depends on where it was made or where it was intended to be sold?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask seller for photos of the back plate.

Personally,  I think it's a fake.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
My gut tells me it's fake. That or it's possibly from a factory not in Japan that I've been reading about. I'm fairly new to buying watches online, so I'm just a bit cautious.

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to pass on this seller and pay the premium rather than get screwed with a Chinese/Malaysian knock-off.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hard to say. Lighting can make a world of difference when it comes to how colors look online. They've got a hundred percent feedback rating...

Same kind of pics here with the different text:

https://www.chrono24.com/seiko/seiko-prospex-srpe05-king-turtle-green-dial--new---id14378926.htm

If you do an image search for SRPE05 you can find plenty of images with the "longer" text. Maybe it depends on where it was made or where it was intended to be sold?
View Quote

That watch on Chrono24 says "Movt Japan."  Seems like I read that unless it just says "Japan", then the rest of the watch is manufactured somewhere else like in Malaysia. The true Japanese made watches will just say Japan. Maybe I'm misremembering and hopefully someone will come along to clarify. That may be why the colors appear so different.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's some pics from Gnomon's website including a customer supplied photo. Their watch says "Made in Japan" not "Movt Japan."
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok...so I'm going to answer my own question here. Did a little research and I found this on Amazon.
Attachment Attached File

The question is are the "Made in Japan" versions better and worth the extra $100? Any Seiko fans out there? I'm looking to buy some Seiko watches here soon, do I'd like to know for sure which I should buy.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to travel to Japan and buy one there as my souvenir.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd like to travel to Japan and buy one there as my souvenir.
View Quote

Well I'm a little busy for a sight seeing/watch buying junket, but if you can talk my wife into it I'm game...lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ok...so I'm going to answer my own question here. Did a little research and I found this on Amazon.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/36599/Screenshot_20210327-125135_png-1882106.JPG

The question is are the "Made in Japan" versions better and worth the extra $100? Any Seiko fans out there? I'm looking to buy some Seiko watches here soon, do I'd like to know for sure which I should buy.
Thanks!
View Quote

At least with SKX's, the consensus was there is no difference in quality between made in Japan vs. elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

At least with SKX's, the consensus was there is no difference in quality between made in Japan vs. elsewhere.
View Quote

Quality is the same, dial printing is the only 'real' difference other than where it was built.

Watch geeks do strongly prefer the J models (JDM) vs the K model (exports).
If I can get a J model for the same, or similar money... I do.  I won't spring 100$ for that difference though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#12]
https://www.shoppinginjapan.net/king-sbdy051

Seiko Prospex King Turtle Japan Version Kanji SBDY051

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top