Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2018 11:35:12 AM EDT
What do you guys think it will cost to make this into a playable instrument?  I've got a friend who is learning the guitar and another taking bagpipe lessons.  Both are pushing me to get this thing fixed up and try my hand at picking on it.  I'll likely take it to a local old timey music shop for an estimate but Im interested in a ballpark figure in the meantime.  I kicked around the idea about 10 years ago and had a guy put strings on it for me but he said that one of the keys wouldn't stay tight so I put it away and lost interest until now.  I dont think it has any other defects, just been laying around for about 50 years.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#1]
A quick price check shows a good set of tuners could run as much as $150 (for all five), though you can find some "economy" tuners for less.  Replacing the missing dot on the neck should be easy for any technician.  A total WAG, but I guess a couple of hundred bucks or so would get you up and running again, as long as there aren't any major problems like a warped neck, or something.  You might be able to do it yourself, and save some money, but it wouldn't hurt to have a technician to give it the once over.  Any good repair shop will give you an estimate, and then you can decide if it's worth the price.

I don't have any idea what that banjo is worth, but for a couple of hundred bucks I'd probably go for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 1:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A quick price check shows a good set of tuners could run as much as $150 (for all five), though you can find some "economy" tuners for less.  Replacing the missing dot on the neck should be easy for any technician.  A total WAG, but I guess a couple of hundred bucks or so would get you up and running again, as long as there aren't any major problems like a warped neck, or something.  You might be able to do it yourself, and save some money, but it wouldn't hurt to have a technician to give it the once over.  Any good repair shop will give you an estimate, and then you can decide if it's worth the price.

I don't have any idea what that banjo is worth, but for a couple of hundred bucks I'd probably go for it.
View Quote
Thats exactly what I wanted to hear.  Thanks man.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless it's collectable or a high end model I say your money would be better spent on a new entry level model.

Also I've been told that the Banjo can be a SOB to get any music out of.  IDK, I've never tried to play one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1082--Banjos
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Unless it's collectable or a high end model I say your money would be better spent on a new entry level model.

Also I've been told that the Banjo can be a SOB to get any music out of.  IDK, I've never tried to play one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c1082--Banjos
View Quote
Hmm, thats something to consider.  Some quick googling leads me to believe this isnt anything special.

I have no musical ability at all and Im nearly 50 years old.  My only hope is that Im stubborn enough to stick with it if I get started.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The value of the banjo is definitely a consideration, which is why you want to get an estimate.

Bacon was around for a long time, but that looks like a plain Jane banjo.  Still, if it's in playing condition, and the case is good, I would guess you could get at least $100 for it, or maybe more.  So I don't see how you could get hurt too badly IF you only have $200 or so in it.  I wouldn't put more than that into it, however, unless you can verify the actual value of that particular model.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The value of the banjo is definitely a consideration, which is why you want to get an estimate.

Bacon was around for a long time, but that looks like a plain Jane banjo.  Still, if it's in playing condition, and the case is good, I would guess you could get at least $100 for it, or maybe more.  So I don't see how you could get hurt too badly IF you only have $200 or so in it.  I wouldn't put more than that into it, however, unless you can verify the actual value of that particular model.
View Quote
I scrounged it out of my grandmothers basement years ago.  My grandpa bought if for my dad and his siblings to play back in the 60s I guess.  It may wind up hanging on a wall if the cost to get it fixed up is too high.  That will be the end of my banjo career.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
A little  Bingolation reveal this

Bacon Banjo serial #'s

Copy&Paste  "50s/60s  During the "Folk Boom", Gretsch produced a line of 5 string, open back banjos with both regular and extra-long necks. These all had black plastic laminate peghead overlays with "Bacon" in outlined, block letters and a small, metal plate engraved "Bacon Folk Model" tacked below it. These appear to have their own serial numbering scheme. "

It appears to be in decent shape, probably worth getting it up to playing condition.

SAVE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL PARTS, EVEN THE HEAD.. if you replace anything that is broken or unusable.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A little  Bingolation reveal this

Bacon Banjo serial #'s

Copy&Paste  "50s/60s  During the "Folk Boom", Gretsch produced a line of 5 string, open back banjos with both regular and extra-long necks. These all had black plastic laminate peghead overlays with "Bacon" in outlined, block letters and a small, metal plate engraved "Bacon Folk Model" tacked below it. These appear to have their own serial numbering scheme. "

It appears to be in decent shape, probably worth getting it up to playing condition.

SAVE ALL OF THE ORIGINAL PARTS, EVEN THE HEAD.. if you replace anything that is broken or unusable.
View Quote
Thats good advice, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad and two uncles played the banjo. No way I could ever use finger picks. If I tried to learn it again I would probably work on the claw hammer style.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never  played a banjo (other than picking one up for a few minutes), but I always threaten to get one.  And I basically learned finger picking from a banjo player.  The alternating thumb roll, or pattern, is really the basic building block for finger picking on a (5 string) banjo. You can see it (lesson 5), and some other banjo lessons, here:

Banjo Lessons
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#11]
@APEMANWITHFERALDOG
Go to the Banjo Hangout regiter and read arfcom of banjos.
Bacon banjos are awesome. Open backs are good for playing clawhammer/ Frailing/ old time. Can be used for bluegrass too but without a resonator they will not project. Still a great instrument.
Bacon Banjo Database

I would keep the tuners unless they slip. No need to get rid of them if they work, plus they will keep the value. If they are friction you might want to upgrade but that can be done later down the line.

The tail piece looks like a standard no-knot which are plentiful look on ebay or Mugwumps . Should only need a nut and some string screws. It attaches through the post on the bottom of the tone ring. You should be able to cobble something together from the hardware store or try to find used parts.

Buy new for $12.00 @ Elderly Music

The markers are easy to replace. Find suitable replacement and use some hide glue or superglue. Looks like a railroad spike was installed and lost. The fretboard cracked both of which are easy to fix. You wont need a spike until you become proficient unless aesthetics bother you I'd just wait.
Fixing a badly chipped fretboard on a '52 Gibson Les Paul

I would replace the nut (easy) with a bone or Tusq it looks like yours is broken.
How to Replace A Guitar Nut

All your hooks are present, You will probably will need to tighten your head. No holes or tears, and they last forever, but are cheap and easy to replace. If it is calf hide it probably has stretched so get a key (ebay) or use appropriate drum head tool. Easy to check with a tuner by tapping and tightening to the key you want.
Deering Tech: How To Tighten Your Banjo Head

The Bridge is up to up you for now as long as it isn't broken just use it. I like Patrick Costello. He and his father made a bunch of videos and instructional DVDs back in the day and their Old Time/Clawhammer music is just fine

After that toss on a set of strings I like DiAdderio a good set-up and your ready to play.

Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Just to add, I have had several banjos, I think I had 5 at one time. I had a custom built for me that cost about 3k which I sold. I now have just 1 an old Baldwin/ODE which I just love. I used to play and take lessons but life got in the way and time slipped by. It lives in its case now

The thing about banjos is they can be a PITA to set-up. Lord the tweaks people can do for the quest of tone is endless. So many variables materials, head, hardware, strings, OMG bridge selection , and string selection , then picks

I tried not to get caught up in that crap and just played. Find good strings and tighten the head and play. Openbacks are light you do not need a strap unless you are endowed in the belly like most of us in our 50s then the strap keeps the jo where you can pick it.

If you want to play bluegrass get a set of nickle finger picks (National or Dunlop) and a thumbpick that fits. You can mold them by soaking them in hot water then slipping it on and allowing to cool. You do not use them to play Clawhammer style.  Frailing/clawhammer and bluegrass are different beasts and clawhammer is fairly easy once you learn the bum-ditty. Bluegrass is all about rolls and can get fast. Do not focus on fast, focus on accurate. Fast will come.

Your Bacon will be a player trust me. You can be playing with very little cash outlay. Remember they began playing banjos that were made from gourds your's is modern as lomg as the neck isn't warped you can fix everything else. Neck joint can be shimmed, everything else replaced or fixed. Frets may need to be dressed but I didn't see any issues from the pics.

Upgrades I would consider would be prioritized on getting it playable #1 Then tone. Tone is a DEEP, DEEP, deep rabbit hole. You have plenty of time to explore that.

Enjoy your journey!
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just to add, I have had several banjos, I think I had 5 at one time. I had a custom built for me that cost about 3k which I sold. I now have just 1 an old Baldwin/ODE which I just love. I used to play and take lessons but life got in the way and time slipped by. It lives in its case now

The thing about banjos is they can be a PITA to set-up. Lord the tweaks people can do for the quest of tone is endless. So many variables materials, head, hardware, strings, OMG bridge selection , and string selection , then picks

I tried not to get caught up in that crap and just played. Find good strings and tighten the head and play. Openbacks are light you do not need a strap unless you are endowed in the belly like most of us in our 50s then the strap keeps the jo where you can pick it.

If you want to play bluegrass get a set of nickle finger picks (National or Dunlop) and a thumbpick that fits. You can mold them by soaking them in hot water then slipping it on and allowing to cool. You do not use them to play Clawhammer style.  Frailing/clawhammer and bluegrass are different beasts and clawhammer is fairly easy once you learn the bum-ditty. Bluegrass is all about rolls and can get fast. Do not focus on fast, focus on accurate. Fast will come.

Your Bacon will be a player trust me. You can be playing with very little cash outlay. Remember they began playing banjos that were made from gourds your's is modern as lomg as the neck isn't warped you can fix everything else. Neck joint can be shimmed, everything else replaced or fixed. Frets may need to be dressed but I didn't see any issues from the pics.

Upgrades I would consider would be prioritized on getting it playable #1 Then tone. Tone is a DEEP, DEEP, deep rabbit hole. You have plenty of time to explore that.

Enjoy your journey!
View Quote
@fas2c

Man, thanks so much for the reply.  I appreciate the links and the time you took to post them.

I'll keep you updated on my progress with the tune up.  My main musical taste is metal and classic rock but I freakin love Doc Watson and some other old folk sounding stuff.  I think this will be my target when it comes to lessons and instructions.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#14]
@fas2c

Not do derail this thread but does your username have anything to do with Baird Atomic?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes the blue battleship.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:30:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

@fas2c

Man, thanks so much for the reply.  I appreciate the links and the time you took to post them.

I'll keep you updated on my progress with the tune up.  My main musical taste is metal and classic rock but I freakin love Doc Watson and some other old folk sounding stuff.  I think this will be my target when it comes to lessons and instructions.
View Quote
I have the same musical interests but growing up watching HeeHaw and listening to bluegrass/old time. My family is from WV and Virginia and my great Uncle in WV played in a bluegrass band and my Aunt would let my sister and I bang on the instruments when he was @ work. So I have always held a spot for this genre close to my heart. My Great Uncle played his fiddle for us numerous times. I was little and due to the rosin flying off his bow making a cloud I though his fiddle was on fire funny stuff now.

Make sure you get a good set-up. The video is pretty good but you may want to pay a pro some time down the line to do it. A professional set-up is well worth the money spent, but at first you can do it yourself.

Anyway take it slow do not try to rush. Play slow concentrate on playing correctly first would be the best advice I can give. I used videos for the longest time before I got a real teacher. I used a bunch of Murphy Method DVDs by Murphy Henry which were very clear and worked well for me but she focuses on Bluegrass. Patrick Costello, who I linked to is mostly Old Time and Gospel playing clawhammer.

Ask around the guitar stores, look for the ones that sell folk instruments, and see if they have any jam sessions. Normally they will have something once a week or so. Stop by sit in the back, watch, listen and try to play along. You will find a HUGE amount of support at these advents and the best part is you get to meet a great bunch of people. And listen to some awesome music. I used to attend one near me and once a month they would have a pot-luck supper. It was awesome about 25 and could swell to 50+ people with all types of talent from beginner to pro. Many times the clawhammer and bluegrass guys would be playing together and taking turns soloing Don't forget the festivals too.

Good luck and enjoy the trip!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top