BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2021 4:00:43 PM EDT
When the total comes to $6.66?

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the look when the register is glitching and the cashier doesn't know how to count back change.

We're talking deer in the headlights.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer the look when the register is glitching and the cashier doesn't know how to count back change.

View Quote

Yep.  Young kids have that problem.   Older folks do it w/out thinking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn millennials should have paid attention in school. These high schoolers are worthless
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Damn millennials should have paid attention in school. These high schoolers are worthless
View Quote

They don't teach counting money in school anymore.

The teens at my job need me/others to teach them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I taught my kids how to count back change. When they started their first jobs, they both had to teach coworkers with a lot of experience how to do it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't remember having a course on that either.

The coins have their value on them.  All you have to know is that $1 is 100 cents and be able to count.

Are you guys saying that kids can't count anymore?  
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
counting back change was the first thing i was taught , and had to practice over and over before i was able to use the register
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most millennials are in their 30s.  The oldest ones are starting to hit 40.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
It always confuses them when my total is $10.45 and I hand them a $20 and $1....they almost always try and hand me the $1 back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Years ago I was flying out of Dayton.  I called Clearance Delivery for my IFR Clearance.  When they read me the transponder code it was 6666.  I repeated the clearance back.  The controller asked me if I wanted a new transponder code.  I said no.  He told me he would feel better if I had a different one.  Whatever.  I got a different code, he felt better and we were on our way.  The original code would have made for some interesting conversation for the flight with ATC
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:24:48 PM EDT
[#13]
You have to stair at them with a freakish grin for the best effect.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:They don't teach counting money in school anymore.
View Quote

Not sure where you live, but my son is in 1st grade and is already learning coin values and using it in math equations.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You have to stair at them with a freakish grin for the best effect.
View Quote

So, you'd be the "stair" master???

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Especially when cashier is Asian.  She lost her shit trying to get me to add a pack of gum to my order.  I didn't.  She lived.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It always confuses them when my total is $10.45 and I hand them a $20 and $1....they almost always try and hand me the $1 back.
View Quote

Then when they punch it in to the register and see the result a little light bulb comes on over their head.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Meh. It doesn't matter how good you are at math if you're on autopilot and someone interrupts your train of "thought." I think I was taking Calc III when I was a cashier at PetSmart- still got thrown off a couple times and had to take a big step back to get my brain in gear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. The look she has on her face when you buy a box of Magnum rubbers
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Recently I had some groceries ring up as $123.45.  Cashier’s eyes lit up and he said, “wow, I’ve been here two years and that’s the first time that’s happened.”  

Sometimes it’s the little things that brighten someone’s day.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I throw the horns..
And then hum an Iron Maiden song on the way out the door.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Can't read analog clock
Can't read  or write cursive
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, the look on her face when it's $69.69, and then the look on her face when you ask, "Right now?"
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah go buy a tarp, rope, ky and duck tape
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I was a cashier/manager of a convenience store back in the dark ages before UPC codes, I found the opposite to be true.

When I would tell the customer that the total was $6.66 most would either add something on or put something back to change the total. Some would just walk away without buying anything.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah go buy a tarp, rope, ky and duck tape
View Quote

Cucumber, KY and a box of condoms.

A dozen roses, a bottle of wine, and a box of rat poison.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing says “I’m smarter than you” like being a career cashier. Lolololol
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#28]
ive seen someone pull the buy item for 4.50 dollars, get 15.50  in change, pocket change, then find and give clerk 5, get the 20 back and get 50 cents change.

I was like if you are THAT stupid...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Cashier at Taco Bell said "Dio mio" in the drive thru speaker when my total came up $6.66
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nothing says “I’m smarter than you” like being a career cashier. Lolololol
View Quote

You beat me to it! If those old people were so smart, they wouldn't be a cashier that late in their lives.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Op, hand them back $8.14 and see what happens!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
$.69 or $69.69
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Yeah when you pay with 4 $2 bills.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I posted this earlier in the week, 98 cents coming back held out 2 cents to make it a dollar...TOTAL mental shutdown.
"You're confusing me" insisted on counting out the 98 cents...painful, just painful.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Years ago I went shopping for squad Xmas gifts.

I decided to go to a Wal-Mart in the bad part of town at 3am since it was my night off.

I bought a doo-rag, Trojan magnum xls, and an airsoft Sig p228 for the guy who loved rap(short white Jewish guy)

The female cashier said hi.  Once she started scanning my items she scowled at me and said, "this ain't for you is it?"

Nope.  And was really quiet after that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, there are a lot of things better than that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#37]
If it comes to $6.66, I throw my head back and start rolling it from side to side, my eyes rolled back and my voice guttural as I make sounds like I am speaking in reverse, and then shriek "WHY HAVE YOU AWAKENED US???  WE WILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!"
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If it comes to $6.66, I throw my head back and start rolling it from side to side, my eyes rolled back and my voice guttural as I make sounds like I am speaking in reverse, and then shriek "WHY HAVE YOU AWAKENED US???  WE WILL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Not as good as when i told a cashier i had 12 cans of this item so just swipe this can 12 times. She got unstuck after counting to 8 and i had to help her over the line by counting 9 onwards for her.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#40]
MVIS has closed so many times in the last month or two at $6.66 I'm starting to think someone is doing it on purpose. It almost looks like a psy-op, and with machine trading it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

- also -

I sucked at making change as a 16 YO until one day when an old guy got impatient and told me to stop subtracting, and add change to the cost until you hit the customers payment, i.e. $13.63 total and a $20 bill in payment = out of the till pull seven cents to make $13.70, thirty more cents to make $14.00, six dollars to make $20.00 and you're done.

Owner of the nursery averaged about 18 Miller Lites a day...kept a dozen cases or more in the fridge at all times. We were welcome to them as long as it didn't effect our ability to sell shrubbery. It rarely didn't.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:29:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not as good as when i told a cashier i had 12 cans of this item so just swipe this can 12 times. She got unstuck after counting to 8 and i had to help her over the line by counting 9 onwards for her.
View Quote

I thought this was just a family guy skit...but it's real...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:33:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh, at least they are actually working and trying. I blame the new math...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 5:49:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ones that you know will eventually move on to bigger and better things will scan it once and hit x12 on the cash register.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Especially when cashier is Asian.  She lost her shit trying to get me to add a pack of gum to my order.  I didn't.  She lived.
View Quote

But for how long?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Never quite got the 666 superstition, even though I'm well aware of what it means.

You see, the same book that explains that it's an evil number also tells you to fear no evil. So you either trust in the teachings of that book or you don't.

And if you don't, you should feel that there's nothing to worry about anyway because in your mind it's just a book.

So Christian or not, 666 is nothing to be afraid of.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol

boomer tier post I hope its trolling.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:36:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well that person is just dumb.

I loved when customers had items like that because I could get my IPM's into the high 50s, usually I was around 45-50 on a normal day.

Average checking speed is 26.

ETA as for the OP the customer's reactions were funnier to me when the total would be $6.66, which somehow occurs quite often on express orders.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The ones that you know will eventually move on to bigger and better things will scan it once and hit x12 on the cash register.
View Quote

Many stores have moved to block quantity entering because it is error prone and often a huge cause of shrink. At HEB only managers can do a quantity entry with an override. It gets your IPM's up into the hundreds because it counts the multiplier as scanning the item that amount of times individually instantaneously. One of our MIC's got his IPMs to 140 when a bakery order came in for like 300 boxes of pudding and 100s of other multiple items.

This is also why many cashiers do not scan the same item many times, as some items can look similar and have varying prices, not to mention keeping track of what flavors are in stock etc. Many are trained to scan every item to make sure no shrink occurs. I would scan duplicates because I was confident in my ability but I understand why the train people to do it because working as a cashier does not mean one has to be exceptionally bright.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

lol

Silly millennial
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top