Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2021 6:36:54 PM EDT
Yes, I could afford it out right. Discuss.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
No reason not to unless you're forgoing other significant incentives to obtain the 0% rate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There isn't. If you have the money, set it in a separate account with an automatic withdrawal, and forget about it. If you suddenly need that money for an emergency, you have it. If not, it sits, automatically pays off your car, and builds your credit.

The only real reason I could think of is that if you're willing to buy it outright, you might get a better deal.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#3]
No. It's free money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There isn't. If you have the money, set it in a separate account with an automatic withdrawal, and forget about it. If you suddenly need that money for an emergency, you have it. If not, it sits, automatically pays off your car, and builds your credit.

The only real reason I could think of is that if you're willing to buy it outright, you might get a better deal.
View Quote

generally you get more incentives if you finance.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I did it on my current car; worked out great. Still paid it off way early because the payment bothered me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, I could afford it out right. Discuss.
View Quote

I've done it, paid off the vehicle shortly after.

Most places that offer that add on the potential interest into the purchase price, since many people see the price below MSRP and don't realize the dealer didn't actually pay that and whatever they wouldve made in interest is just added onto the purchase price.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No reason not to unless you're forgoing other significant incentives to obtain the 0% rate.
View Quote
FPNI. Just do the math. Sometimes the incentives save you way way more than any financing charge costs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Only if your loose significant rebate.

0% takes 24/36 months to obtain full benefit.  

Rebate instant at POS.

If you have loss or theft of vehicle during 1st year or 2, rebate may be better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Normally I would say take the 0% financing. However with your ability to pay cash you could get a better price and incentives.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
The one I saw increased the price by $10k
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Ducati offered me 0% for 6 years on my avatar.
I had the cash, asked if I could get a further discount beyond what we negotiated if I paid cash.
"Nope, that's a Ducati incentive, doesn't cost us a dime"
OK then. I'll take the interest free money.

Only downside is it removes your flexibility to adjust your own insurance options.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I see no reason not to do it.  Wife's car is on 0%
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, MSRP I do not do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted: Yes, I could afford it out right. Discuss.
View Quote
Do you need it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#15]
ARFCOMMERS ONLY PAY CASH.

DEBT IS SLAVERY.

I WON'T DRIVE A BANKS VEHICLE.

0% is literally free money, but watch out for the rebates that come off.

Just pick the method with the least money leaving your pocket.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#16]
If the rebates they offer end up being more beneficial than 0%. Sometimes if they offer you the special financing, you lose some of if not most of the rebates.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Fuck financing/using other people’s money. For me, it’s Cash Is King. Me and my SuperModel girlfriend with fake tits pay cash for everything. Plus I have a 12” dong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#18]
We just bought a new Civic for our son and wanted to pay cash. The dealer suggested financing with Honda @1.9% and we'd get another 1k off the already very sweet deal. Done. We then paid it off.
The bottom line, just make whatever deal yields the lowest total cost.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#20]
For 120 months for your Kia?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I have used the 0% financing offer twice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Nope.  You're an idiot not to take 0% financing for as long a term as they will give you.  Even if you can buy cash, that cash could be doing other things for you.  You could park the loan amount in a money market account and earn interest if you don't want to invest it in something with greater returns.

ETA:  Assuming the price is the same with financing vs cash.  If they're dropping a bunch of your incentives and rebates to make up the interest, then maybe not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#23]
IMO, no. Not unless there were significant early payment penalties and you were still set on early repayment for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#24]
My mom did on her 15 explorer but she negotiated the price with no trade in and significant down payment first.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Last time I tried to do 0% financing, the price of the vehicle magically went up by about how much interest would have been.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Nope.  You're an idiot not to take 0% financing for as long a term as they will give you.  Even if you can buy cash, that cash could be doing other things for you.  You could park the loan amount in a money market account and earn interest if you don't want to invest it in something with greater returns.
View Quote

Yep. If you have the cash, you also need to look at how much interest you'd make parking that cash somewhere else like an index fund. Even with losing rebates and paying MSRP, you may very well come out ahead by taking the 0% and investing the cash.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This you may be better taking 2.9% and incentives over 0%.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Last time I tried to do 0% financing, the price of the vehicle magically went up by about how much interest would have been.
View Quote

This was a factory ordered vehicle, so I had negotiated the price before the finance offer came along.

2021 GMC Sierra Elevation
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Why?  That’s free fucking money from inflation alone, not mentioning that cash could make more money for you.

It is literally free money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes, postpone all purchases until 2024. Of course inflation may have driven the price up 4x by then.

Come on man! Resist! Save!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Why not free usage of money for a few years
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

Sometimes it's better to take the higher rate because it comes with incentives that lower the overall cost of the vehicle compared to the cost with 0% financing

I had this choice for our Atlas.  I went in thinking we should take the 0% but with the incentives it was better/cheaper to go with the higher rate.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#33]
0% financing when real inflation is way above that is about as good of a deal as you can get.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Financing is dumb for a material object that depreciates as it sits. You don’t win even at 0%

My 82 Chevy s10 is still going strong. I won’t waste my money as I don’t finance anything or have credit cards and my score is 850.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#35]
It is most likely a good deal, but check the actual cost of the loan.  Usually (payment * num payments) > agreed cost even with 0%.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Lolz.  There is no 0% free financing.  Somebody has to Pay.   Whenever that is offered, you can get ~$2000 off the OTD price by paying cash or financing at a higher rate.      0% interest free financing is a very effective marketing scam among the rubes, because most people don’t care about total cost.  They only care about the monthly nut.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Why?  That’s free fucking money from inflation alone, not mentioning that cash could make more money for you.

It is literally free money.
View Quote

not really ..

save $xxxx and finace at a low rate  
vs paying MSRP and zero interest  

at least that what they told me last time  
it was a 2014 rubicon.  

i  haggled the price then they offerd zero interest .BUT at  msrp

i took the negotiated price and financed thru my  credit  union.  my payment  was still lower then the zero interest they offered me.  

if anyone has been able to haggle the price and still get  zero % loan..        let me know.   i wasnt able to back in 2014

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#38]
FPNI.

Don't give up good rebates when interest rates are low.

Speed
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:09:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd absolutely finance at zero percent, UNLESS there was an "zero percent financing or xxxx" which is often the case.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Financing is dumb for a material object that depreciates as it sits. You don’t win even at 0%

My 82 Chevy s10 is still going strong. I won’t waste my money as I don’t finance anything or have credit cards and my score is 850.

View Quote

No, you absolutely win with 0% financing. As long as the price isn’t bumped up by taking that option, you’d be a fool to not take it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ducati offered me 0% for 6 years on my avatar.
I had the cash, asked if I could get a further discount beyond what we negotiated if I paid cash.
"Nope, that's a Ducati incentive, doesn't cost us a dime"
OK then. I'll take the interest free money.

Only downside is it removes your flexibility to adjust your own insurance options.
View Quote
I was going to post tbis. For most this wouldn't be an issue as most would want full coverage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Normally you lose out on other incentives if you take the zero percent financing option. This normally causes you spend more money overall versus just buying the vehicle outright. Of course you will need to run the numbers for your exact scenario to make sure this is the case. The dealership makes their money with zero percent financing by not giving you the incentive cash.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's even dumber is dumping a bunch of cash into a depreciating asset. For those of us that buy a vehicle more than once every thirty years, 0% financing is a no-brainer arbitrage opportunity.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Normally I would say take the 0% financing. However with your ability to pay cash you could get a better price and incentives.
View Quote

Out of curiosity, when's the last time you bought a new vehicle?  I don't think it's worked like that in quite a while.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but typically 0 or 1% is an option vs cash incentives.  In most instances, say 0% vs %2000 cash-back, the 0% will beat it long term.   Of course, the cash rebates will beat 0% if you are intending to buy the vehicle outright.  The heavy hitter incentives are designed to move something they need moved.  

The cash incentive increases 'buying power' and/or the ability for those with possible credit issues to qualify for financing, the low rates are more for those with sound credit.    

It's always a balancing act.  Cash purchase vs keeping liquid funds with no interest, rebates vs rates, etc.  

Just remember none of these things have any bearing of the actual selling price of the vehicle being negotiated, never let 'incentives' (or payments) become part of the price negotiation.  The payment itself is simple math vs terms.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Normally you lose out on other incentives if you take the zero percent financing option. This normally causes you spend more money overall versus just buying the vehicle outright. Of course you will need to run the numbers for your exact scenario to make sure this is the case. The dealership makes their money with zero percent financing by not giving you the incentive cash.
View Quote

Never been my experience and I use zero percent free money for most major purchases if available.

It is quite literally free money.  I see your point though, it must be a true apples to apples comparison.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#48]
When I bought my car I would have saved about $2K with 0% interest vs. the loan with the interest.  The loan with the interest came with almost $6K in cash back though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#49]
I have never bought a car that wasn't at least 4 years old. So I guess that would stop me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

No, you absolutely win with 0% financing. As long as the price isn't bumped up by taking that option, you'd be a fool to not take it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Financing is dumb for a material object that depreciates as it sits. You don't win even at 0%

My 82 Chevy s10 is still going strong. I won't waste my money as I don't finance anything or have credit cards and my score is 850.

No, you absolutely win with 0% financing. As long as the price isn't bumped up by taking that option, you'd be a fool to not take it.

I think he's mocking the people that can't see the forest for the Ramsey books.

A person that doesn't finance anything or have credit cards doesn't have an 850 credit score.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top