Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2023 8:46:02 PM EDT
A good friend of mine recently passed away. Before he passed he told me he was going to leave me several items in his will and took all the information he needed from me for that. It’s been two months since he passed and I haven’t heard anything from the family, which I do not know any of them as they weren’t around until after he passed to get all his stuff. Is there a way I can see his will or at least ask if I was left anything??
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Every jurisdiction is a little different but, in general, once a will is probated, everyone named in the will should be notified by the executor.

You may be able to find out if the will has been probated through your local probate court.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:51:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you were in  the will it disappeared faster than a cat can lick his ass.
The relatives won’t tolerate an outsider getting anything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By moto932:
A good friend of mine recently passed away. Before he passed he told me he was going to leave me several items in his will and took all the information he needed from me for that. It’s been two months since he passed and I haven’t heard anything from the family, which I do not know any of them as they weren’t around until after he passed to get all his stuff. Is there a way I can see his will or at least ask if I was left anything??
View Quote

Start with going to Courthouse and see if a will was even filed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Start with going to Courthouse and see if a will was even filed.
View Quote
I have a will. It is in the Attorney's safe. I am not aware of it being "filed" at a courthouse.
I also have a copy. As does my daughter.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jjrockbush:
I have a will. It is in the Attorney's safe. I am not aware of it being "filed" at a courthouse.
I also have a copy. As does my daughter.

View Quote

That is because you are still alive.

When you are dead it will be filed with probate court
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 4:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

That is because you are still alive.

When you are dead it will be filed with probate court
View Quote

Yes. This is how the property is legally transferred to  whomever it has been left to. It provides for creditors to get a cut of certain assets and assures that the decedent's last wishes are followed through with in a fashion that can't be challenged by next of kin or squabbled over when there are disputes. A will is only a piece of paper until it's been signed by a judge after death. In many jurisdictions this is through the probate court and the process is referred to as probation the will, where it's determined to be the true last will and testament, interested parties are notified, creditors are notified,  challenges to the will can be raised. This is almost always a smooth process but with large estates or particularly volatile situations it can be messy. Until a will is probated, the property named in the will legally is part of the estate and cannot be legally owned by anyone else. Disposing of any portion of the estate cannot happen without approval of the judge. Sometimes this is to satisfy debts and eventually it is to disperse the estate in accordance with the will.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry OP to hijack your post.

I had similar case. The deceased had promised me some of his gun collection for years. 2 months before he passed, he had me come over and pick through his guns for the ones I wanted.
He told he marked them down and said he was going to give the list to the executor, who was his cousin. He told me, you are getting at least these, there will be others.
They would be put aside before anyone else gets to pick through them.

After he passed, I received as copy of the will and was named in the will for a percentage of the assets, which I was not expecting, but no mention of the guns.
He was a friend of my Father, but took me grouse hunting and pistol shooting. He was like an Uncle to me.
The copy of the will was sent to me from the lawyer, I have not had any contact with the executor so far.

This is all new territory for me. Any direction appreciated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top