Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2022 11:43:11 AM EDT
Microsoft seems to have killed outlook express. I can't get it to install on windows 10 and I am tired of their bundled webmal program. It's slower than snot....probably running all my email through their sniffers for marketing info.... Is there a better option out there without having to create new email accounts?

ePrompter is the only thing listed in the freeware guide above. How is it?
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:47:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have used Thunderbird for years. Easy to import and export addresses.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for Thunderbird.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have used Thunderbird for years. Easy to import and export addresses.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I was having difficulty with Thunderbird across multiple accounts / computers. It kept duplicating and bringing back zombie messages.  

I'm currently testing out BlueMail, and it seems to be performing well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm also using Thunderbird, but I'm on the lookout for a replacement that does searches and email management better. I'm half tempted to try the full copy of Outlook again, but I'm not big on digging up an old Office license to use.

Quoted:
I was having difficulty with Thunderbird across multiple accounts / computers. It kept duplicating and bringing back zombie messages.  

View Quote

You know - that looks interesting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2022 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Microsoft seems to have killed outlook express. I can't get it to install on windows 10 and I am tired of their bundled webmal program. It's slower than snot....probably running all my email through their sniffers for marketing info.... Is there a better option out there without having to create new email accounts?

View Quote

Thunderbird is probably your best choice.  It's better than Outlook in terms of security (IMO), especially authentication options, though I think it lacks of lot of Outlook's other features.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thunderbird is probably your best choice.  It's better than Outlook in terms of security (IMO), especially authentication options, though I think it lacks of lot of Outlook's other features.
View Quote

I used outlook express and it is pretty comparable. If you are talking about calendar and all that....never used that crap anyway. Downloaded it the other day and I like it. Not slow AF like the MS webmail. WM also had an issue with frequently not wanting to download messages, something to do with using a VPN. When it was completely uncooperative I'd have to turn off the vpn and then download my messages.

Just more confirmation that MS is sifting through emails or some other chacainery on their part.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Outlook Express??  That was a great program, but I'm pretty sure they haven't shipped it in over a decade.  

Just use Outlook.  Or thunderbird if you don't want to pay for office.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Outlook Express??  That was a great program, but I'm pretty sure they haven't shipped it in over a decade.  

Just use Outlook.  Or thunderbird if you don't want to pay for office.
View Quote

There's an Outlook "light" that ships with windows that's not too bad.

I use the Outlook mobile app on IOS as the IOS mail app makes me crazy for the way the client does mail consolidation.

Thunderbird is a great app too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 2:39:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Another vote for Thunderbird.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Thunderbird is a good free option.  Been using it for years.

Outlook is good, if you want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Been running Windows 11 for about a month after running Ubuntu for about three or four years.

Used Evolution on Ubuntu and have not found anything that works for me in windows so I run Evolution in a Ubuntu VM in VirtualBox for now.

(Edit to add Evolution still works spectacularly with Microsoft's email servers with my old hotmail and newer outlook email accounts, easy to set up and worked much better than the Windows connector that I had to use with Office 2010 back when I ran Windows 10.)  

I have one of these due tomorrow that I will install Ubuntu on and put it in the pcie v4 spot.

Its supposed to be about 50% faster than this one that I have Windows 11 on and it is going to be moved to the pcie-v3 spot on the motherboard and I will dual boot again.

From what I have seen online it still should still be pretty speedy on pcie v3.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm also using Thunderbird, but I'm on the lookout for a replacement that does searches and email management better. I'm half tempted to try the full copy of Outlook again, but I'm not big on digging up an old Office license to use.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Update on Bluemail; decent for MS / google / yahoo plain imap accounts.  I personally like the layout and workflow, especially with the unified mailbox.  

Temperamental to the point of being non-functional for protonmail.  This is with the bridge on Linux.  

The symptom of the issue is that Bluemail keeps changing the Security from STARTTLS, and resetting the ports back to default.  Bluemail offers little support to dig it out on the free plan, and PM says they're non-supported, so there's that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#14]
em Client works pretty well, and it handles connections to on prem exchange and O365 as well.

I'm not sure if it's still free, but it's worth a look.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thunderbird has been around since forever. I don’t particularly care for it on balance but it does have a lot of fans. I’d try that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top