Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2018 12:18:30 PM EDT
Surefire's?

Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much every cop I know carries a streamlight of some sort.  I don't know that I've ever heard of one seriously breaking.

I'd say streamlight durability is just fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve had the same two streamlight stingers for about 8 years. They get used daily and have seen some abuse, even on the oe batteries still.

I’d say they are good to go
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a few of both brands break during hard use, but nothing that I wouldn't discount using either one over. To me, the price of streamlight products wins me over. I can outfit several of my weapons and my duty belt with good streamlights for the price of one surefire weaponlight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Their durability is decent but not on par with Surefire
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Streamlight is tough as nails.  I use a Streamlight Strion on duty because it's rechargeable and easily popped into the charging cradle.  I use a Surefire P2X Fury on my AR because it takes batteries, as it would be more trouble to take off to charge and put back on.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Over course of my le/mil time (nearly 20 years) I’ve had better experiences with streamlight handheld lights than with surefires- better bulb life, usually more lumens per dollar, and less issues with contact surface oxidation.

On the weapon light side of things it’s been better experiences with surefire, with the exception of the tlr series of lights. The older style surefire weapon lights were rugged as hell, but suffered from the same issues as the handhelds as far as bulb life went.
Streamlight remote switches seemed to last longer, and I still had issues with contact surface oxidation/loss of current flow with the surefires but it seemed to be less frequent than with the handhelds.

The biggest issue of any of them, the bulb life, has been kind of negated by the wider use of leds, but streamlight always seems to have newer technology, more robust switches, and more lumens for less money.

In the grand scheme of things though I think it boils down to personal preference,
Currently my stuff is set up with a variety of surefires, streamlights, and insight units.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
What's frame of reference here?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's what's worked for me over the last 13 years:

Surefire for an EDC
Streamlight for rechargeables
Surefire for long gun weaponlights
Streamlight for handgun weaponlights
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I ditched my surefire e2d after going through three tailcap switches.  Yes surefire sent me replacements absolutely free of charge but it was still annoying. The thing is I never really used it that much.  I went with a streamlight and I've had that thing for close to three years without one single issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used Streamlight for 26 years of firefighting.  Not necessarily the small weapons mounted lights, but none the less Streamlight brand.

I do not worry about any Streamlight quality as my life depended on it many times, and all times so far it has worked for me.(in very harsh conditions)

That may mean something to you and it may mean squat to you.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If you must rely on the flashight to save your lufe...I would not recommend Stream Light.

I used to work for them in the repair department and will tell you the company would accept parts they knew would not pass QC.

I no longer work for the company, but I wouldn't be surprised if they still followed this practice.

I own a few SL because of the discounts I used to get from working there..if I had to pay their asking price I'd surelyy buy from another company.

SL does have better warranty conpared to Surefire.  I've seen Surefire charge for their repairs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry Streamlights at work and have one on my duty weapon.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#13]
SL's DG-style switch isn't as nice as SF'S.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My pocket handheld Ive had since 2015. Works all the time

On guns, sorry I think surefire looks sexier

*shrug*
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weaponlights
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I sunk a Sidewinder Compact II for 40 minutes, manipulated power button under water. It's still working fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Streamlights are great. my stinger fell out of a car at about 25mph and still works fine.

the got a lot better when they stopped pressing the top on to the handle and threaded them, that was the weak spot.

the lenses don't stand up to gasoline very well either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The newer Surefires are built like tanks.
I've got a few of their handhelds, and carried a 500 lumen Fury Defender daily for a few years.
It took a low light pistol class and found that while the Fury was very bright, it was too bulky for a decent draw and manipulations.
I even had the Raven Concealment "O" ring on it.
But it was still cumbersome, and I couldn't use it with the "cigar" technique.

I switched to a Streamlight Protac 1L-1AA for carry.
I did the "O" ring mod to it and keep it on high output only.
It isn't as bombproof as the Fury, but it works out better for what I carry it for.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]
streamlight is far better from my experience. I own numerous streamlight, and sure fire lights.

I carry streamlight daily, my G19 has a streamlight, and both of my AR's have Surefire on them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I've owned both and used both operationally in operations as an operationer and the Streamlight was as durable as the Surefire for me.

Now, the remote switch is FAR MORE DURABLE on the Surefire product.   Is the Surefire worth the extra $ if it's not issued?   ehhhhh
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#22]
My streamlight polytacs (their budget cheapo line) do better on batteries and abuse than surefire G1s. Surefire survives on their name IMO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 1:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I had two surefire lamp assemblies die on the original batteries (first hour for the young guys).   I talked with them twice and both times they said they would send me replacements and they never did.

I've been using Streamlight since 1994 and have not had any issues.

#1 I let a friend borrow a Stinger and he flipped his explorer three times.  He found the stinger in the back cargo area, light still worked.

#2 I was using my full size Streamlight as an alley light one night at 30mph.  I dropped it and watched in bounce end over end several times and it was still shining.

#3 I also slammed the hood down on it in my truck several times because I forgot I laid the light down where the hood needed to latch.

Plus we had Streamlights in the fire service and they worked under very harsh conditions and kept working.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#24]
If surefire had to depend on people who spent their own money, they would have gone under years ago.  They are kept alive by the military spending money because they always get more.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been using TLR-1s for about 3 years for handguns and long rifles. That being said I'm kind of a flashlight whore and at this point I've gone all Surefire with the exception of one TLR1 mainly because I don't want to have to buy another holster designed for my X300U

ETA: If you're not going to be overseas with it I would buy Streamlight no problem .
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:13:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I've never owned a Streamlight product so I cannot comment on them, however I've had good luck with all the surefire products with the exception of the XC1. I went through three XC1s and two XC1 tail caps before I had a light that worked for more than a day.

If Surefire doesnt get it's head out of its ass and release a 1000+ lumen X300U light, I might end up buying a TLR-1 HL.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I use both.  I have a Stinger I purchased used in 2006 when I was a reserve deputy.  It needed a new switch, so I got it and two chargers cheap.  The new switch was cheap and easy to put in.  No problems since I put in a new switch and I even upgraded to a Terralux LED module.  I carry it when i'm working security at church.

I have a used Streamlight Ultra Stinger that I bought in 2011.  No problems with it.

And, I have a Surefire G2 that I bought back in 2003.  Its the light I carry with me when when I don't have security duty.  I did swap in a LED module and a clicky tail cap.

Either brand is GTG, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Recoil can do funny things to electronics.

I've had a handheld protac I've used in a rough environment for about 8 months.

The finish is almost completely worn off, and it has dents and scratches all over it.

Still works.

My opinion, and I base this half from experience and half from feeling:

Surefire for PewPew
Streamlight for Non Pew.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Lost a streamlight (Sidewinder) on my gravel driveway couple years ago, dropped it and never found it. The dark Earf is good color.

Anyhoo, wife thought she saw something that looked like a flashlight the other day - sho'nuff that was it. Dug it up and it worked fine. So 18+ months of being outdoors stuck in mud and still worked. Seem OK to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've owned both and used both operationally in operations as an operationer and the Streamlight was as durable as the Surefire for me.

Now, the remote switch is FAR MORE DURABLE on the Surefire product.   Is the Surefire worth the extra $ if it's not issued?   ehhhhh
View Quote
Thanks to everyone who answered
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#31]
My weapons mounted lights are streamlights

Have a old stinger bought in 1997 that has been abused... Sat in a river for two days, thrown threw couple car windows and been used to gain control of a few differnt felons and is still lighting up the night

It's not my go to any more but still works.

Now my handheld ccw lights are surefire but for my glocks and AR the tlr rules that world and my duty belt light is a newer streamlight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top