Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2021 12:19:22 PM EDT
A "friend" recently bought a house, and found a box in the shop that contained unopened 1 lb mylar bags labeled aluminum powder (German dark), and potassium perchlorate, cardboard tubes, caps and a small roll of fuse. After doing an internet search as to what this stuff is used for, my "friend" quickly decided against messing with it, and would like to sell it. If it is illegal to have, I guess destroying it would be the next step. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell it? Tell him how unstable it is and offer to take it off his hands for free. Proper storage requirements should be followed.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sell it? Tell him how unstable it is and offer to take it off his hands for free. Proper storage requirements should be followed.
View Quote

This^^^

That crap could go at any time, but you know how to safely dispose of it, you would be doing him a huge favor to take it off his hands.

But for real, it's not illegal to make your own pyrotechnics (fireworks, etc) and those chemicals are used in model rocketry and such as well (many make their own engines).

There are some legal matters of which I'm not well versed but IIRC, there is a limit to how much compound you can store in the mixed state and there are likely transportation legalities in the mixed state. But the chemicals themselves are not illegal nor restricted. Offer him $20 and see if he bites.

ETA, none of it is really high dollar stuff at around $10-15/lb for the chems, $0.10/ft for the fuse (assuming it's visco), and spare change for the misc bits and pieces.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top