Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get you some Woodford or Whistle Pig. Larceny or Monkey Shoulder. Bulleit is good but not super.
View Quote

I didn't see Michters listed in that thread, to me its amazing rye, my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:25:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Get you some Woodford or Whistle Pig. Larceny or Monkey Shoulder. Bulleit is good but not super.
View Quote

I'm trying to be a drunk on a budget. The shit you mentioned sounds pricey.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Me, about to click on thread: These people. No, a pint a day of beer isn't going to kill you. It might actually help you.

Me, after clicking on the thread: A pint of day of whiskey?! What the fuck!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:33:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Me, about to click on thread: These people. No, a pint a day of beer isn't going to kill you. It might actually help you.

Me, after clicking on the thread: A pint of day of whiskey?! What the fuck!
View Quote

Not to mean this in any negative way, but is it possible people are misunderstanding a pint with a fifth? I might be dumb but I never got around to figuring out fifths from pints to half pints till decades of drinking. I saw 10-11 shots which I guess is accurate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
No Irish blood in this thread...
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not to mean this in any negative way, but is it possible people are misunderstanding a pint with a fifth? I might be dumb but I never got around to figuring out fifths from pints to half pints till decades of drinking. I saw 10-11 shots which I guess is accurate.
View Quote

Fifth is 750 ml. Pint is 375 ml.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No Irish blood in this thread...
View Quote

I come from a long line of McBride's that emigrated from Ireland. I thought I'd be amongst friends exposing my bad habit only to find out I'm apparantly a borderline alcoholic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol yeah I know. I'm just wondering people saying you can't keep a job drinking a pint, whether in their head they're thinking bigger bottles because I assume they don't drink much.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol yeah I know. I'm just wondering people saying you can't keep a job drinking a pint, whether in their head they're thinking bigger bottles because I assume they don't drink much.
View Quote

Ah I see what you mean. Remember, I'm drunk
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ah I see what you mean. Remember, I'm drunk
View Quote

I think the shit catches up to you when you're around 40, then you keep the habit going and you're drinking more and its every day, then it's at work too. By the time you're 50 you're like a weird drunk old guy with health problems on fast decline. Just referring to your question, and I think the post above mine. It's not so much the amount at first, it's the habit, and then eventually you're addicted and drinking fifths and so on of gin everyday. You can't stop and every time you push a little further and you're into larger amounts of booze and you can't stop. Probably doing dumb shit every once in a when you fuck up, black out, and you keep drinking more. It's a shitty cycle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:57:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think the shit catches up to you when you're around 40, then you keep the habit going and you're drinking more and its every day, then it's at work too. By the time you're 50 you're like a weird drunk old guy with health problems on fast decline. Just referring to your question, and I think the post above mine. It's not so much the amount at first, it's the habit, and then eventually you're addicted and drinking fifths and so on of gin everyday. You can't stop and every time you push a little further and you're into larger amounts of booze and you can't stop. Probably doing dumb shit every once in a when you fuck up, black out, and you keep drinking more. It's a shitty cycle.
View Quote

Thank God I'm still in my 30s
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:01:40 AM EDT
[#14]
You're a pro. You should seek a sponsorship.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank God I'm still in my 30s
View Quote

Lol, fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:05:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Killing 1.75 of vodka every 2-3 days...but with diet cranberry.  Holding a good job and doing wonderful overall.  Tolerance is a bitch.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:12:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You’re covering up something with alcohol and humor. But unfortunately it is deadly serious. If you didn’t think it was a problem, you wouldn’t ask here.
View Quote

My whole life is covering up serious issues with humor. It's all I've known. The responses in this thread have opened my eyes to my growing problem. I came for similar experiences to justify my behavior but was instead handed a hard dose of truth. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:17:10 AM EDT
[#18]
There was a thread a month or so ago with, I believe literally the same title. But as you'd expect devolved into teetotalers vs drinkers. Intrinsically they are right, drinking is bad, on the other hand drinking a pint isn't abnormal to many folks.

Eta: meaning I can't really pick a side, but I know drinking especially as a habit will fuck you up eventually. It will get to the point where you can't stop, like tobacco, and you'll wonder how the fuck you'll get out of this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:23:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people would get falling-over drunk drinking 16 ounces of 80 proof alcohol.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Edit- Sumbitch, you are talking about whisky? yeah thats probably too much, but I am no Dr.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Most people would get falling-over drunk drinking 16 ounces of 80 proof alcohol.

View Quote

11 drinks does seem excessive for a daily habit, whoever pointed out how many shots it was. I can't imagine drinking a 12 pack a day though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:30:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If this isn't a troll thread please talk to someone, get some help. You're killing yourself
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:31:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Edit- Sumbitch, you are talking about whisky? yeah thats probably too much, but I am no Dr.
View Quote

How drunk are you right now m?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:32:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

11 drinks does seem excessive for a daily habit, whoever pointed out how many shots it was. I can't imagine drinking a 12 pack a day though.
View Quote

Guys at my work do just that and show up every day. But they're drinking beer and have done it for years. I'm drinking hard shit and have only just begun. Need to get it under control before it controls me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:36:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Guys at my work do just that and show up every day. But they're drinking beer and have done it for years. I'm drinking hard shit and have only just begun. Need to get it under control before it controls me.
View Quote

Thats where I heard most of it, old guys at work. Everyone younger is drinking and shit, talk to the 60yos that are healthy, they'll have stories about coworkers they lost over the years. I just know one guy was telling me like, you've got kids their in middle school at a sleep over or whatever, you don't want your daughter going to that drunk guys house, like eventually it becomes weird/loserish and those fuckers are so addicted, they can't stop.

Got to think when they were in their 20s-30s they're people you'd probably go out with get fucked up. In their 40s-50s they're drinking at work, getting duis at work, dragging a dog behind their truck because they forgot, committing suicide, just ruining their lives. Obviously not everyone, but they fall by the wayside and you keep living.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:45:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thats where I heard most of it, old guys at work. Everyone younger is drinking and shit, talk to the 60yos that are healthy, they'll have stories about coworkers they lost over the years. I just know one guy was telling me like, you've got kids their in middle school at a sleep over or whatever, you don't want your daughter going to that drunk guys house, like eventually it becomes weird/loserish and those fuckers are so addicted, they can't stop.
View Quote

That's what worries me. I'm pushing 40 with no kids so there's no real reason to be sober. If I had kids they'd be first, but right now it's just me so I'm always first. Need to find another outlet. Maybe i should try meth. Only kidding, just finished binge watching breaking bad.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:54:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's what worries me. I'm pushing 40 with no kids so there's no real reason to be sober. If I had kids they'd be first, but right now it's just me so I'm always first. Need to find another outlet. Maybe i should try meth. Only kidding, just finished binge watching breaking bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just know that in the past, multiple blacked out wtf did I do, getting in trouble moments. I wasn't addicted, but people obviously said I had a problem, and as a kid you're like whatever I go months without drinking, I'm not addicted. Fast forward to now, and I say, well at least I'm not getting arrested for some stupid shit. But really, the addiction is more terrifying than randomly doing fucked up shit. In the past you had some control, now you have none. And as you keep going, you're likely to black out again and go to jail or do something you regret. It keeps compounding and you can't stop, those times of fucking up in the past start to be a habit you can't stop. The addiction is real is all I can say, just like chew or caffeine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I come from a long line of McBride's that emigrated from Ireland. I thought I'd be amongst friends exposing my bad habit only to find out I'm apparantly a borderline alcoholic.
View Quote

I'm not doctor but it sounds like you crossed the border dude. Figure out a way to stop. Some people claim to be functioning alcoholics their entire life, until they aren't anymore. Either the world or your body will catch up with you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:59:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Beer? No.

Whiskey? Holy fuck, that’s a lot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:16:03 AM EDT
[#30]
With hard alcohol there is a difference.

Are you talking about a 5th (750ml) a day or a pounder glass (16oz) a day?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Because you asked here's what I came up with because I'm feeling artsy.

Some weird ulcers or some shit, constant heart burn. You will wake up often asperating in your sleep, you'll wake up in the middle of the night and inhale vomit. Shit hurts and instead of phlegm you'll be trying to expell vomit/bile for a couple hours till it goes away. After multiple nights of this you'll be like I need to stop drinking. You do and you stop the vomit thing, then after a few days you think you're all better now and you repeat the cycle.

You'll go to sleep every night and your heart will be beating out of out of your chest, like off rhythm and out of sync, you'll sweat and think you're going to die in your sleep. You've probably ruined relationships with everyone which you don't blame on alcohol, but when you think about it all the arguments you got in were when you were kinda drunk.

Probably been arrested after being blacked out and not knowing why you're locked up, get your ass beat in town for being drunk, kicked out of every bar, come back bleeding and not knowing why. Everyone says you should stop drinking, you wonder why?

Every night you say I'm going to stop drinking, but every day after work you're driving home and you say I'm going to stop by the liquor store and pick up a pint, ill stop and get healthy tomorrow. The next day you say I'm going to stop drinking, but after work you're driving home and you say I'm going to stop by the liquor store and pick up a pint, ill stop and get healthy tomorrow.

Then you get older, either you've started blacking out all the time. If you're angry, then those blackouts will be violent. Or your body just fails on you like a truck you run into the dirt without doing maintenance. Over the years something fails and now your body is fucked, they say you need to stop drinking, and you keep drinking anyway because you can't stop.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

375 ml bottle. 90 proof bourbon
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, half a 5th can lead to worse things. Maybe chill for a bit and drink water instead. Start taking milk thistle to let you liver heal a bit too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:39:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Drink that much alcohol on a regular basis and serious health problems will result. It's just a matter of time. Bear in mind that denial is a natural response and look at your drinking as objectively as you can and quit if you can't cut way back. If you can't do it on your own get help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#35]
If you have to ask if a pint of booze is too much just keep going.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm 170 lbs at 5'10". 155 in the summer. I've never drank like this in my life. External factors that have been ignored need to be dealt with. Sweet sweet bulleit has been my crutch
View Quote

Not going to preach to you but the bottom line is that you're committing slow motion suicide in the literal sense. If that's what you want to do then drive on but don't bullshit yourself about it.  If you need help then get help but alcohol is never a solution.  In fact it exacerbates those issues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I think if youre going out of your way to buy the smaller bottles, to help contain how much you drink, that sounds like a lack of self control when drinking which screams alcoholic to me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#38]
If I ever get out of here
Thought of giving it all away
To a registered charity.
All I need is a pint a day
If I ever get out of here
(if we ever get out of here)
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#39]
OP- I don’t think anything anyone says here will change your mind. When I look back on my hard drinking years when I was your age (55 now), I remember not giving a fuck what anyone thought, because I was certain I was maintaining my life just fine. I’ve gained a new perspective now.

The culture of drinking is working against you. After all, of course men drink, right? It’s what real men do, and the more you can put away, the manlier you are. You’ll feel so manly, you’ll post a brag thread on an anonymous message board telling how much you drink every day.  You’ll talk about your cherished old drunken Irish heritage and even post a trophy picture of an almost empty bottle of booze.

Whatever you do, good luck man.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Booze, maybe.
Semen, definitely.
Water, nope.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:14:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A couple months ago I had never tasted bulleit bourbon or rye. Now it's all I drink. Is a pint a day too much or should I try to cut back to a couple fingers a night? Costco only carries fifths but if I buy one, I'll drink one.  I'd rather buy a pint from the corner store for 18 and be limited by the availability.

What does the average arfcom liquor drinker drink in a night?
View Quote

Yes, you have a problem, seek help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I think so, I feel like it's the gateway to 5ths a day. I'm about a pint a day drinker, everyday, it's one of those things that turns into a habit you can't break.
View Quote
I was a half pint a day for the longest time never moving to a 5th a day.   I also tend to take a couple weeks off every now and then just to be sure
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Look at your waist line, then sprint a mile. How ya feel? That’s your answer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#45]
375 mL of 90 proof alcohol is 9.5 standard drinks.  Yes, that's too much.  One or two standard drinks per day isn't going to kill you, but if you can't stop there, you should just stop drinking entirely.

ETA:  At $18 per day, you're spending over $6,500 per year on alcohol.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Good luck OP
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I drink around 6oz of bourbon neat per night.

Look at a BAC calculator I think you'll be surprised at what your levels are the next morning driving to work after 16oz at night.
View Quote

That's a lot of booze every day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Depends on how fast your drink it and if you need beer to help with the buzz

Hard liquor can be dangerous.  Your body gets used to the amount and you may need to drink more to get the same buzz eventually

Another poster said, it is the first step to drinking a fifth a day.

I does depend on the person though.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'm 170 lbs at 5'10". 155 in the summer. I've never drank like this in my life. External factors that have been ignored need to be dealt with. Sweet sweet bulleit has been my crutch
View Quote

Dude, I’m about your size. Good for you if you are functional, but you’ll be an amazing person if you can get that down to an ounce or two a day. I bet you’ll cure cancer once you are out of that fog.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top