Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/27/2021 1:52:11 AM EDT
I've wanted to get a crotch rocket since i can remember and my family has a history of riding bikes. My uncle rode one most of his life without ever wrecking(I know, sounds unreal), but he drove like a grandma. I've held off because of the dangers, and having seen countless mutual friends and distant family die or get seriously injured; most recently a friend from college who died last year on his harley. Despite all of that.... I still want one.

For those of you who ride, is it worth the risk? Have you ever got in a bad wreck? I know the saying goes....... It's not if you'll wreck, but when.

I'm so torn on getting one.

Edit: IN B4 BONAR JOKES
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
No
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No 
View Quote

https://files.catbox.moe/yex0wc.mp4
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I owned one for a few months when I was a lot younger.  I sold it because I knew I'd die on it.  Cars and idiot drivers are the problem.  Fuck all that.

I'd say no...  it would be a lot of fun on the track though...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:54:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:57:22 AM EDT
[#5]
If you live where you can ride it often and you arent a dumb kid any more I say go for it. I miss mine but the gravel roads and unpredictable weather made it too impractical.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:57:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a couple in my 20's. Honestly can't believe I didn't die but dang it was fun
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:57:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I used to ride crotch rockets,  its probably been 15 years now since I've been on two wheels.
There was no one texting back then.
The road is way more dangerous now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I hear they're amazing with VR goggles.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:59:07 AM EDT
[#9]
The buses and dump trucks that just merge or pull out in front of you without looking because of the lug nuts rule are what will kill you and it’s impossible to predict/control for that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes.  You'll feel like a two wheeled god!

I would never and have never ridden one anywhere but on the track though...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
How many car accidents have you been in?  Doesn’t matter if they were you’re fault or not. On a bike, you’re paying the price either way.  If you are a defensive driver/rider crashing isn’t inevitable.

Still, I quit while I was ahead a few years ago.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:01:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes its worth the risk. But buy a learner bike before you go with an inline-4 600 on up. Learning how to keep your head on a swivel and basic riding skills is far more important than horsepower.

I commute every day when its not snowing on a Ninja 650. Underwhelming bike but it has been a great learner bike for me since I only rode dirt bikes before. Thinking about moving up to a GSXR 750 in the next couple of years for a "fun" bike. I'll still keep the Ninja 650 as a grocery getter, or sell it to get a DR650.

Riding is fun, worth the risk and very rewarding. But you have to have self control, otherwise you WILL end up being an organ donor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:02:16 AM EDT
[#13]
It is until it isn’t.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I would say it depends on where and how you want to ride. If you have young kids that are dependent on you, thats definitely a wrench in the gears to consider.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How many car accidents have you been in?  Doesn’t matter if they were you’re fault or not. On a bike, you’re paying the price either way.  If you are a defensive driver/rider crashing isn’t inevitable.

View Quote

None, thankfully. Thats probably why i'm even considering it. Honestly after watching the video above I'm already leaning towards no.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:04:31 AM EDT
[#16]
You live in GA. Get a $2500 R6/gsxr 600 setup track bike and spend a couple hundred bucks a year to do some trackdays at Road Atlanta.

Crotch rockets+street equals death.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:08:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I rode for many years.  Owned numerous Harleys, a Triumph Chopper, a Honda, a Kawasaki, an Indian, and more Harleys.  I never went down.  Vertigo or some type of small balance problem arose so I quit.  I was not comfortable on the bike and I knew it was time to stop.  The last years with all the idiots on the road were way less fun and I suppose I gained some sense and the idea of a crash was not very appealing.  I would say no the risk is not worth it but I did it and lived.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#18]
If you want a motorcycle, get a motorcycle.

Just understand that if you have the horsepower, you will, in fact use it.  All of it.  And maybe not wisely.

Regret the things you've done rather than the things you haven't.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:11:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Closest thing you can get to a F1 car as far as acceleration  breaking goes..

And you can be the best rider on the planet and some idiot texting will kill you.

I've lost countless friends to mc accidents and would only ride one now on a racetrack.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I used to ride crotch rockets,  its probably been 15 years now since I've been on two wheels.
There was no one texting back then.
The road is way more dangerous now.
View Quote
Picked up my first "re-entry" bike a couple months ago.  Last bike I owned was in 2012, last significant riding I did was in 2008-ish.  The fact that I'm not going back to the world I left has not been lost on me.  I'll have to be extra careful.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, how long have you been riding motorcycles?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:39:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I had one when I was in my 20’s, loved every second of it. When it’s your time to go,  it’s your time no matter what you’re doing . It’s not so much you if you take your time, learn limits and then push them in moderation. I started out on a liter bike, most would say that’s crazy but whatever, it was my money and I wanted a RC-51 because the sound was intoxicating . But, even 600’s these days are make a lot of power for a newer rider, the liter bikes are insane. Other drivers and gravel will be your enemy. Wear appropriate riding gear and for fucks sake wear gloves and boots, every time I see someone on any bike without gloves or boots, I want to ask them what’s the first thing you’re going to put down to try to slow your body down. If you get a bike that doesn’t have a  steering damper, make that your first mod, a tank slapper can be one of the most ass puckering events in your life, it will only end in one of two really quick.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:43:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Its the most fun you can have with your clothes on
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've wanted to get a crotch rocket since i can remember and my family has a history of riding bikes. My uncle rode one most of his life without ever wrecking(I know, sounds unreal), but he drove like a grandma. I've held off because of the dangers, and having seen countless mutual friends and distant family die or get seriously injured; most recently a friend from college who died last year on his harley. Despite all of that.... I still want one.

For those of you who ride, is it worth the risk? Have you ever got in a bad wreck? I know the saying goes....... It's not if you'll wreck, but when.

I'm so torn on getting one.

Edit: IN B4 BONAR JOKES
View Quote

It all depends on your level of maturity and risk avoidance level.  If your by nature a safe driver and dont take a lot of risks, the superior handling, brakes and acceleration of a sport bike could get you out of trouble that you might not be able to avoid on a standard bike.  On the other hand if you are a risk taker, all it takes is one miscalculation and your just as dead as you would be on any bike, just faster..........
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:46:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes, but start small and don't just go out and get a Hayabusa. Take some classes and read a lot about how to ride.

I miss my bike
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:48:02 AM EDT
[#27]
That is a dumb shit that got exactly what he deserved, unfortunately he took someone else with him....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:56:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Buy a slower bike to build your skills, and really work at it. Become a student of motorcycling. If you want to ride fast and survive, you'll need skill, reflexes, and experience.  If you have some good trails in your area, buy a dirt bike and learn how to ride it like you stole it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:57:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Stupid is as stupid does. If your brain and skills can handle it, and you ride defensively... you'll be fine. Don't start on a super sport liter bike. That's fucking stupid. I've ridden MX bikes most of my life, then sport bikes, and currently ride an adventure bike. Wear good gear, build some experience on easier bikes, and don't be a dumbass. Get a track day now and then if you can.

P.S. Despite being a lifer motorcyclist... I'd be lying if I said that I haven't fantasized about a squid flying by me at 50+ mph while sitting at a stop light... about 30 seconds before it turned green, squashed like a bug. The little dipshit ran 6 lights in a row without even looking side to side. Fuck that piece of trash. The wife and I both looked at each other with an "is it wrong to have wished..." look afterwards. We saw a shit ton of that shit last spring. You could hear them racing all over town almost nonstop. It made the loudpipes assholes seem mature in comparison. I asked my cop neighbor why they don't do anything and he said they just can't catch them, so they just light em up for a sec and let em run. Fuckin little faggots aren't riders. They're vermin.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:00:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Certainly worth it.  I ride on the track and street and have only been down once (high side on the track).

I started on a 600 and still ride a 600RR on the street.  I’ll get a 1000 this summer I think. Once you get lean angle down, that’s when the controlled rush comes.

One thing to ABSOLUTELY do when and if you get one, is have someone who knows what they are doing help you to “somewhat” setup your suspension.  This is so important because I can’t tell to how many times you see guys go high in a corner because of target fixation and they could have easily maneuvered back in line if their rebound adjustment had been set a bit slower.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#31]
It’s the most fun I’ve had with my clothes on.  Love the feeling of freedom, and my home/work/life worries just melt away when I’m on the road.

That being said, riding on two wheels on public roads is dangerous as fuck.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you live where you can ride it often and you arent a dumb kid any more I say go for it. I miss mine but the gravel roads and unpredictable weather made it too impractical.
View Quote

This, I can cruise 5 over traffic on the way to work yet but the mountains or other trails to open it up a little and have some fun.

Biggest concern is other drivers, you can't control them, this is why I'm 5 over traffic, not hauling ass bobbing and weaving like an idiot, just moving forward where it's easier to dodge vehicles in front that cut me off.

I've rode with idiots in the past, they liked to do 120/150 on city streets. One is dead, apparently when your doing 110 you can't dodge the car doing the speed limit who changes lanes in front of you.

One hit a wall going around a 15mph hairpin bounced off the wall and down  a cliff140 feet breaking both femurs his arm and punctured a lung on top of a littany of other issues. He sold the bike and never rode again.

It comes down to, can you have a vehicle capable of doing 180mp, 0 to 60 before you get through the intersection, and not doing the above mentioned?

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:08:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Stupid is as stupid does. If your brain and skills can handle it, and you ride defensively... you'll be fine. Don't start on a super sport liter bike. That's fucking stupid. I've ridden MX bikes most of my life, then sport bikes, and currently ride an adventure bike. Wear good gear, build some experience on easier bikes, and don't be a dumbass. Get a track day now and then if you can.

P.S. Despite being a lifer motorcyclist... I'd be lying if I said that I haven't fantasized about a squid flying by me at 50+ mph while sitting at a stop light... about 30 seconds before it turned green, squashed like a bug. The little dipshit ran 6 lights in a row without even looking side to side. Fuck that piece of trash. The wife and I both looked at each other with an "is it wrong to have wished..." look afterwards. We saw a shit ton of that shit last spring. You could hear them racing all over town almost nonstop. It made the loudpipes assholes seem mature in comparison. I asked my cop neighbor why they don't do anything and he said they just can't catch them, so they just light em up for a sec and let em run. Fuckin little faggots aren't riders. They're vermin.
View Quote

Yeah ive seen the videos of them run and taunting cops because they're so fast. Totally insane. I would be the opposite no doubt with all of the deaths of people I know from bikes. A guy who I know is now paralyzed from the neck down, uses a mobile chair to move around for the rest of his life. Mutual friend just died on his harley.

Lets just say id drive like a grandma if I got one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:10:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Closest thing you can get to a F1 car as far as acceleration  breaking goes..

And you can be the best rider on the planet and some idiot texting will kill you.

I've lost countless friends to mc accidents and would only ride one now on a racetrack.

Stay safe.
View Quote

Ditto that. Despite having ridden bikes since a small child, it was the realization that I could have a 2-wheeled race car for $5-10K, and that was the only way I'd ever be able to own such performance. But I started slow and saved my sporty riding for safer venues than city streets. I still live to drag pegs in the mountain twisties, but now do it on my Triumph Tiger ADV bike. Don't need a sport bike to drag pegs. Just good rubber and skills.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This, I can cruise 5 over traffic on the way to work yet but the mountains or other trails to open it up a little and have some fun.

Biggest concern is other drivers, you can't control them, this is why I'm 5 over traffic, not hauling ass bobbing and weaving like an idiot, just moving forward where it's easier to dodge vehicles in front that cut me off.

I've rode with idiots in the past, they liked to do 120/150 on city streets. One is dead, apparently when your doing 110 you can't dodge the car doing the speed limit who changes lanes in front of you.

One hit a wall going around a 15mph hairpin bounced off the wall and down  a cliff140 feet breaking both femurs his arm and punctured a lung on top of a littany of other issues. He sold the bike and never rode again.

It comes down to, can you have a vehicle capable of doing 180mp, 0 to 60 before you get through the intersection, and not doing the above mentioned?

View Quote

From all the horror stories i think id be able to control myself. Im leaning towards not getting one though for the simple fact of texting and driving being a huge thing now. I mean its one thing to drive and have people listening to music but still watching the road. Its a whole other ball game when HALF the morons around you are on their phones not even looking at the road.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Just posted this in the other thread. Dude rode into a taco bell at 100+. Parts of him in the ceiling.

VERY GRAPHIC PHOTOS

link left cold on purpose. I'll post a tame one below the rest are pretty gory

https://m.imgur.com/a/3gYiL
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

From all the horror stories i think id be able to control myself. Im leaning towards not getting one though for the simple fact of texting and driving being a huge thing now. I mean its one thing to drive and have people listening to music but still watching the road. Its a whole other ball game when HALF the morons around you are on their phones not even looking at the road.
View Quote

I definitely try to cover the throttle and brakes at all times, and treat every intersection like a potential death trap. I don't ride around town as much this past year as before. I hit the highways into mountain roads and ride where it's beautiful and fun... instead of stressful. I actually feel safer on sand, mud, rain, and ice than in heavy traffic. I rode Wyoming's Bighorn mountain range two Januaries ago. Though there was a 13 mile section of mountain shaded solid icy highway that had my full attention. I'll ride through my town on 100K, but bigger cities I try to skirt around the edges, rather than busy superslabs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:26:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Army buddy who raced bikes told me no.

Said something about getting old and shitty drivers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#39]
No, there's a reason we called them donor cycles.

Gramma pulls out in front of you. You go head first over the handle bars and smash your neck.

Brain dead or mortally paralyzed, usually decent health, and young. The perfect organ donor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:27:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Buy a track bike. Riding a sport bike on the street is boring AF and if its not, you're being stupid. And cagers will fucking kill you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

None, thankfully. Thats probably why i'm even considering it. Honestly after watching the video above I'm already leaning towards no.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many car accidents have you been in?  Doesn't matter if they were you're fault or not. On a bike, you're paying the price either way.  If you are a defensive driver/rider crashing isn't inevitable.

*shrug* go take a class and buy something used to learn on.  

fear mongers can fuck off. Life is dangerous then you die. Motorcycles are statistically more dangerous than cars.... by about 10-20 percent according to most studies. Funny thing is.... don't drink and ride, and you cut your own personal risks in half.

My boomercycle: started last feb. never going back.
Attachment Attached File

the modern MSF classes are pretty dam good.

also look up "DanDantheFireman" and "Fortnine" on YouTube. Lots of good stuff there. You can avoid and see ALOT comming if you use what's between your ears.

I only have one real beef with the modern training theory. Displacement is Not king when looking for a first bike. I do not believe in buying a small displacement bike for the sake of haveing a small displacement bike. If you are a grown ass man (in my case 5'11" 200) a small bike is almost as dangerous as a big one. Get a bike that fits you, and take it slow. Try to stick to the under 90hp but over 40hp. My example is my own. I had NEVER touched so much as an electric scooter before my MSF class. Started on a 1200cc sportster.. WAAAAY more bike than I "should have" started on. But... it only makes 70hp ish can carry my fat ass easily and get out of its own way.. and is comfortable. Never had a problem riding it from day one, and have been commuting on it basically non stop. I would already be up a creek trying to dump a 250cc "starter bike" while looking for a bigger one... during covid... in a superheated buyers market for used bikes.... if I had followed the MSF "advice"

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#42]
To me, hell no. Last data I saw showed the fatality rate per 100 million miles traveled was 35+ times (not 35%, 35x) higher on motorcycles than cars.

I'll stick to the trails.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I rode a Suzuki Katana back in the late ‘90’s.   Too many close calls riding through the city and that was before people had an iPhone in their hands while driving.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They all died doing what he loved.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
To me, hell no. Last data I saw showed the fatality rate per 100 million miles traveled was 35+ times (not 35%, 35x) higher on motorcycles than cars.

I'll stick to the trails.
View Quote
I'm sorry.. but you are being sucked in by the same tricks used in "gun violence" propaganda. While true that IF you get into an accedent on a motorcycle, your likely hood of death or injury is 35x more likely. But that "IF" is only 10-20 percent greater than a car. Almost forgot. The rates of drunk riders to drunk drivers are almost identical. And if you do simple shit like. Don't booze up.. or ride super tired.. you cut your own risk by almost half.

dig past the surface. It may surprise you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:44:17 AM EDT
[#46]
If you are under 25 don't get a fast bike.  My buddy frequently sees rotch-crockets smeared outside his auto shop, usually wrapped around a corpse.  His place is on hwy99 north of Seattle and kids with more hormones than brains love to do stupid shit on hwy99 for some reason. Usually the same day they buy the bike.

ETA don't buy a new bike for your first bike.  You will drop it within your first few days and you will probably lay it down in the first 2 months.  Get a great full-face helmet, jacket and pants that are comfortable. Took my cousin 2 years of surgeries to rebuild his jaw and he was wearing a full helmet when someone tool a left turn in front of him.

I haven't driven my bike much in the last 2 years because Prius drivers keep trying to murder me in the seattle area.  But good luck to you, keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm sorry.. but you are being sucked in by the same tricks used in "gun violence" propaganda. While true that IF you get into an accedent on a motorcycle, your likely hood of death or injury is 35x more likely. But that "IF" is only 10-20 percent greater than a car.

dig past the surface. It may surprise you.
View Quote

Don't think so. It's fatality rate per 100 million miles, not fatality rate *if* you get into an accident.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:50:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Get one, they’re a blast
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:56:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, I'm not worried aboute crashing due to an error on my part, I'm worried about every other car on the road. I can't count how many times I've been in my lane cruising along and the car next to me signals looks over and comes into my lane. Then flips me off when I'm next to them like I fucked up and drove next to them...

Like my MSF instructor said, if you go for a ride and don't come back mentally exhausted you're going to be a skid marks. Doesn't matter harley, honda, cruiser or sportbike people don't see you, remember that. Even if they make eye contact, they don't see you.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:07:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Texting and driving, or just driving while flat out oblivious is a problem.  At the start of this covid mess, in may I think I took a ride in this getup.  I got lots of people taking my pic, thumbs up, double takes etc.  But what was concerning was the number of people that still flat out did not see me......

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top