Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Test drove a few CX9's on Saturday.  Dealership was busy with new car sales.  The CX9 is nice, but one surprise is that Mazda has not adopted a touch screen for it however the rotary knob is decent to use even for the passenger.  I am shocked their stock is on the pink sheets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope they survive long enough to bring a new rotary powered sports car to market.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Test drove a few CX9's on Saturday.  Dealership was busy with new car sales.  The CX9 is nice, but one surprise is that Mazda has not adopted a touch screen for it however the rotary knob is decent to use even for the passenger.  I am shocked their stock is on the pink sheets.
View Quote

My CX5 has a touchscreen, but it's not usable while the vehicle is in motion.  You're forced to use the knob.  Sure it's not just that?

But I find myself always using the knob, even when it's stopped.  It's very easy and fast to use.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trying to tap little buttons on a touch screen is an unnecessary distraction and takes your eyes off the road. Mazda went zero touchscreen with the 2021 models. Once you're used to the control knob, their system is way less of a distraction
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope they survive long enough to bring a new rotary powered sports car to market.
View Quote

LoL

Rotary
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Trying to tap little buttons on a touch screen is an unnecessary distraction and takes your eyes off the road. Mazda went zero touchscreen with the 2021 models. Once you're used to the control knob, their system is way less of a distraction
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Personally if I could have my way, there'd be no screen. But thanks government for mandating a backup camera.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

me too but the goddam tree huggers will never let that happen.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
They're supposed to be bringing the (ugly af) MX30 to the US in a couple years. It will come as an EV or as a plug-in hybrid with a rotary gas engine as a range extender
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They're supposed to be bringing the (ugly af) MX30 to the US in a couple years. It will come as an EV or as a plug-in hybrid with a rotary gas engine as a range extender
View Quote

a range extender on an ev or hybrid is not the same as a rotary powered car. its the opposite of what the magic spinning doritos are known for. poor mpg, oil burning, low tq and high rpm
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My 2007 NC MX-5 says no OP.

A fine roadster that satisfies, every trip.
View Quote

This, have one myself. Locally Mazda is gaining market share, mainly with their crossovers. If I was shopping for a new car today the CX-30 and 3 would be contenders to replace the Subaru I have in the driveway.

I will say this, having traveled and lived all over the place, there are large swaths of the country where anything not GM/Ford/Chrysler is rare and unusual. So I can see why some folks might think Mazda is going under. But come to a big city where the economy is growing and people are moving to, and you will find a mixture of everything. On my street there are only a dozen domestic vehicles and close to three times that in imports with only Mitsubishi not being represented.

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

When’s the last time you saw a Mazda on the road?  That will answer your question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

When’s the last time you saw a Mazda on the road?  That will answer your question.

Quoted:

I haven’t seen one on the road in years.  I honestly thought they stopped making cars. Like Nissan and mistubishi.

Quoted:

So they’re goal is to not sell cars?  Brilliant!

Nissan is a high volume commodity brand?  Lol!

Quoted:

Are they next to the Honda ridge line and Nissan Altima at the light?

Your ignorance in this thread is weapons grade.

Mazda has always been a smaller, niche player. Their sales in the US have been stable for 15+ years. They are a global brand, and they've never had the resources to develop US-centric models the way Toyota, Nissan, and Honda have.

Mazda's goal more recently has been to move slightly upmarket to increase margins per vehicle sold. They aren't aiming for Lexus/Acura/Infinti territory, but they want their models to be a step above comparable products from the Koreans, the Big 3, and the basic models from the major Japanese brands.

Nissan was mentioned because they decided to chase volume at the expense of margin and... well... everything else, and their company is in a damn tailspin because of it. They were expecting to take a financial net loss in 2020 before COVID hit, and in a year where most major brands lost ~10-14% or so of sales, Nissan lost 33%.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/2020-Q4-and-Year-End-Automotive-Sales-Numbers/5-2409937/

The CX-5 is selling around ~150k units per year. In Q4 2020, it was in the same neighborhood as the Ford Escape, Subaru Outback, Toyota 4Runner, (CX-5 is here) Chevrolet Traverse, Nissan Altima, and Jeep Cherokee.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My CX5 has a touchscreen, but it's not usable while the vehicle is in motion.  You're forced to use the knob.  Sure it's not just that?

But I find myself always using the knob, even when it's stopped.  It's very easy and fast to use.
View Quote

This

My wife gets mad if I touch it.  No fingerprints on her display.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember not long ago there was a thread about Mazda going to an Inline 6-cylinder for the CX9 and maybe the 6.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Now if Mazda would just develop a I6 miata....

With a closed deck aluminum block w/steel sleeves...and a focus on good oiling under high G loads, oil squirters and 10.5:1 comp (so it's friendly to low boost) or alternatively 12:1 NA...
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
We habe a.2019 3 hatch and a 2020 CX5.  They solid nice driving cars.  I'd love a Mazda speed 3 but I don't think they are coming back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This, have one myself. Locally Mazda is gaining market share, mainly with their crossovers. If I was shopping for a new car today the CX-30 and 3 would be contenders to replace the Subaru I have in the driveway.

I will say this, having traveled and lived all over the place, there are large swaths of the country where anything not GM/Ford/Chrysler is rare and unusual. So I can see why some folks might think Mazda is going under. But come to a big city where the economy is growing and people are moving to, and you will find a mixture of everything. On my street there are only a dozen domestic vehicles and close to three times that in imports with only Mitsubishi not being represented.

View Quote

funny you say this. i noticed this in 2015 when I drove/moved from CT to Utah. I drove my Audi S4 across the country, and in certain parts along I-80 (one road pretty much the whole way) it felt like I was committing a sin driving a german car. Many stares in rural OH, IA, NB, WY.

Best ride of my life though. It was my flee to freedom.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tons of Mazdas on the road here.  I drive one, a '15 6, it's been a great car.  Being in CO, see lots of Mazda SUVs hereabouts.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:23:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We habe a.2019 3 hatch and a 2020 CX5.  They solid nice driving cars.  I'd love a Mazda speed 3 but I don't think they are coming back.
View Quote

'21 3 Turbo is out.  

Speed 3 is coming back.  The writing is on the wall.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Every time we’ve bought a new car in the last few years we’ve looked at Mazdas.  They’re nice cars that handle well, have cool interiors and are relatively reliable compared to American shitboxes.

Yet we still end up buying a Toyota or Honda.

Same reason I finger fuck other guns but end up with a new Glock.

Reliability trumps all.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 2:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Couple of my employees have Mazda 3's one a speed 3 so every day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:49:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I want a new CX -5 AWD with the turbo, but when I went to a local dealer on New Years Eve to look at them, they acted like they gave two shits and a fart if I bought one.
It was raining and cold, and there was only one customer other than me.
Oh, the ones I looked at are still sitting on the lot (2021 Carbon Edition, and 2020 Grand Touring Reserve).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want a new CX -5 AWD with the turbo, but when I went to a local dealer on New Years Eve to look at them, they acted like they gave two shits and a fart if I bought one.
It was raining and cold, and there was only one customer other than me.
Oh, the ones I looked at are still sitting on the lot (2021 Carbon Edition, and 2020 Grand Touring Reserve).
View Quote

Don't judge the auto by the dealership.  You know that the vast majority of car salesmen are going to be pricks.  If we had to deal with the same pricing games for all our purchases we would have killed each other years ago. Car sales in general are a scam that should not be legally or socially acceptable, but they are.
The carbon is a great looking "visual" model GT.  Had they had one in '19 when I got my wife her CX5 I would have gotten one of those.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Open your eyes, they are everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:34:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Their little crossovers are everywhere.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.. Ford stocks are not better also .. go figure
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They jumped from $8.50 a couple weeks ago to almost $12 recently in a matter of days. Thats a big jump percentage wise especially since they haven't been above $13/share since like 2015 or there abouts.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top