Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/24/2021 6:03:14 PM EDT
There stock has been on a steady decline all the way to about $2.50 a share until this last month or so when it shot up a whole dollar....

Yet they have been doing a good bit of R&D on gasoline engines ignition systems with their skyactive X tech, and others, new models seem attractive (relatively speaking)

Why has their stock value dropped so low over the last 6 years or so?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There stock has been on a steady decline all the way to about $2.50 a share until this last month or so when it shot up a whole dollar....

Yet they have been doing a good bit of R&D on gasoline engines ignition systems with their skyactive X tech, and others, new models seem attractive (relatively speaking)

View Quote

When’s the last time you saw a Mazda on the road?  That will answer your question.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
In the past few years their sales figures and accompanying revenue has declined. They have zero roadmap for BEVs going forward which is naturally going to scare off investors as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Not if you ask reddit.

“DAE Miata best car ever zoom-zoom, Matsuda is literally killing it!”
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Time to target a more......diverse customer base.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When’s the last time you saw a Mazda on the road?  That will answer your question.
View Quote

What do you mean? They’re all over the place.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess you never know. They seem to make decent stuff. I like that they still use conventional autos instead of cvt's. I'd like to drive one of the CX5 turbo cars but they're out of my price range.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not if you ask reddit.

“DAE Miata best car ever zoom-zoom, Matsuda is literally killing it!”
View Quote

Well I do like the new Miata. Kinda want one, and I do see Mazda crossovers often.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Their little crossovers are everywhere.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everyday all day?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

My wife has a 2011 Mazda 6 and I have a 2004 Miata.

But if it means anything, about 2 years ago they closed down the dealership here and consolidated what was left of it with one in a nearby larger city.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uhh...It might be time to venture out of the basement.  I know it's hard but I believe in you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I hope not. They seem to be the only Japanese manufacturer that still gives a damn about driving dynamics throughout their line.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When's the last time you saw a Mazda on the road?  That will answer your question.
View Quote
Everyday.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:15:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Basically sporty Toyota. Never had an issue with the ones we have had but the newer Camrys feel just as sporty.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Their new engine is revolutionary for combustion engines......unfortunately that doesn't excite wall street in the age of EV's

They make really good cars right now.  They're in the middle of trying to tap the upscale side of the economy market.

All of their current models have great interiors and provide great value, and regularly get rave reviews from major auto journalists.

My sister has a 2005 Mazda3....other than regular oil changes, she's beaten the hell out of it.  It has 200k+ miles on the odometer and it runs great.  Only recently started having any significant mechanical issues, which were all easily fixed.

Mazda makes great cars.  They're incredibly reliable, their interiors currently are top notch and punch way above their weight.

They just don't seem to be resonating with end-buyers in comparison to what Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai are doing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:17:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Because the newer models are shit with awful quality control.

I had a 2014 Mazda 6 and three years right after warranty expired the gear selector switch became defective. Car would be in park but the engine wouldn't turn off. Mazda refused to help out. I had to tear the interior down to the gear selector and swap the switch out myself. It's a common issue within a specific number of VINs. It should if been a safety recall.

My wife's 2016 driver side seat motor went a week after warranty expired. Luckily they fixed that one for us.

Both Mazda windows are loose and can move around with your hand about an inch. Mazda deemed this normal. They are both rattle boxes with terrible sound deadening inside. Sounds like we are in a constant wind tunnel.

Will never buy another Mazda again.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#17]
As a fairly small company they are partnering with other companies on different development projects (GM with electric and Toyota with power plant and platforms).

They are moving upmarket (better margins) with a new family of Skyactiv engines (straight 6 and a 4 cylinder) and platforms that will also be used in future Lexus products.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hope not. They seem to be the only Japanese manufacturer that still gives a damn about driving dynamics throughout their line.
View Quote

They are moving away from dynamics.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Mazda is a solid vehicle, still a lot of Japanese made models and introduces solid new technology.
People buy kia and hyundai because they’re cheap and have long warranties.
Nissans are crap.
Toyota has become too big for their britches and keeps current models around way too long.
Honda is good stuff except when they go cheap on engine components, like the piston ring fiasco.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

All the time. It’s not uncommon to park at a big box store and see multiple ones of the same model I drive.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Love my Mazda 6
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When's the last time you saw a Mazda on the road?  That will answer your question.
View Quote
They're all over the place here. We have a 2019 CX5 sitting in the driveway now.  It's been a great vehicle with almost 50k miles on it in the year before Covid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What do you mean? They're all over the place.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean? They're all over the place.
thats what my first thought was..there are several just in our development, some houses have multiple, and i regularly see them all over the roads
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#24]
At one point Ford owned 90% of Mazda.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:22:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Their new engine is revolutionary for combustion engines......unfortunately that doesn't excite wall street in the age of EV's

They make really good cars right now.  They're in the middle of trying to tap the upscale side of the economy market.

All of their current models have great interiors and provide great value, and regularly get rave reviews from major auto journalists.

My sister has a 2005 Mazda3....other than regular oil changes, she's beaten the hell out of it.  It has 200k+ miles on the odometer and it runs great.  Only recently started having any significant mechanical issues, which were all easily fixed.

Mazda makes great cars.  They're incredibly reliable, their interiors currently are top notch and punch way above their weight.

They just don't seem to be resonating with end-buyers in comparison to what Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai are doing.
View Quote

A CX-5 turbo AWD is on my short list. Nothing really like it for under 50k.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every day. Alot of rental cars and fleet vehicles around here. Drove a CX5 when wifes car was in body shop. Solid little car with good options.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#27]
30 years ago they made decent vehicles. Ever had the joy of working on the garbage they crank out now?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Want to know how I know you just pulled that out of your ass to up your post count I guess?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
30 years ago they made decent vehicles. Ever had the joy of working on the garbage they crank out now?
View Quote

Meh. The radiator in the Mazda6 is about the worst thing I've had to do. It's nothing but time consuming.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm looking forward to the I6 RWD Mazda 6. They're trying to upscale a bit under the current manufacturer's premium lines which puts them, IMHO, in a good market. There's so much shit in cars these days that premium/luxury level car content is ridiculous so someone that can make a nicely appointed, but not ridiculous contented car, with some nice driving dynamics would sell well. I'm hoping their sedans will turn out to be like where BMW used to be 10+ years ago.

The ND2 Miata is great as is some of their engine tech. Not sure if that's enough to re-grow or license to others though.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I've enjoyed my Mazdas, but they are definitely a niche player.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

They divested in 2010, 2011 was first model years for entirely Mazda.

Mazda makes great vehicles. Mine was flawless for 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#34]
I think they’re under powered. (CX5 specifically).  I get that they have to hit certain MPG, but that thing was gutless
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see lots of Mazda's on the road, nice looking, driving vehicles, too.  One friend has the big one, lots of bell's and whistles for a great price.  Their reliability is on par with Toyota.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Mazda is doing great in YTD sales compared to pretty much every other manufacturer. The dealer I'm at was up 20% last year over 2019, even with Covid
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#37]
We enjoyed our 2010 Mazda 6, our 2019 6 was an incredibly nice driving sedan, and there is a 2016 CX-5 in the driveway with 80K on it. Mazda makes good cars if you ask me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Obviously OP didn’t look at 2020 sales.

Toyota and Mazda where the only ones in the black.  

Mazda makes some of the most reliable cars on the road at the best price point.  

They have the highest crash safety ratings to add.  

Mazda autos are everywhere here.  2 of three cars in my drive are Mazdas.  I have a 2010 3.  A motor mount is the only part to break in 120k miles.  I had the brakes done last summer before my son took it back to college. They still has 25k worth of pad left.  

Mazda cars earned my respect.

Mazda cars are about the only thing that GD doesn’t hate.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#39]
they don't sell a truck, so yeah..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Well I do like the new Miata. Kinda want one, and I do see Mazda crossovers often.
View Quote

It's been a couple of years and the RFs are popping up cheap on the used market. I kinda want one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
But if it means anything, about 2 years ago they closed down the dealership here and consolidated what was left of it with one in a nearby larger city.
View Quote

They did that here before Covid hit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mazda is doing great in YTD sales compared to pretty much every other manufacturer. The dealer I'm at was up 20% last year over 2019, even with Covid
View Quote

Lol!  Their sales have been sucking/declining for quite a long time now. They may as well be Mitsubishi.

A 20% increase of 10 units is still just 2 units.

I’m not knock knocking them, their sedans drive great. But nobody wants sedans.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
As a fairly small company they are partnering with other companies on different development projects (GM with electric and Toyota with power plant and platforms).

They are moving upmarket (better margins) with a new family of Skyactiv engines (straight 6 and a 4 cylinder) and platforms that will also be used in future Lexus products.
View Quote

wat?

tell me mor!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Meh. The radiator in the Mazda6 is about the worst thing I've had to do. It's nothing but time consuming.
View Quote

Too bad that’s just one vehicle.  Radiator, that’s childs play. My wife could do that.  Track down an odd current draw issue.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quick search showed that 2020 fiscal year results which ended March 31, 2020 yielded an 81% decrease in profits.  

Poor profits = poor stock price.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I see Mazdas everywhere, but I think they have made a couple of mistakes.

Not developing a V6 Skyactiv engine.

Not offering at 2.0 turbo in their Miata at the very least.  Probably should go with their 2.5 turbo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I see Mazdas everywhere, but I think they have made a couple of mistakes.

Not developing a V6 Skyactiv engine.

Not offering at 2.0 turbo in their Miata at the very least.  Probably should go with their 2.5 turbo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Never had a problem selling a used Mazda. I don't like them from a personal driving standpoint, but they are one of the better used car values out there currently.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post swing and a miss. There are plenty of Mazda vehicles on the road.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Mazda's are awesome little cars.  My ex has a 2004 with around 300k miles on it now with no major issues outside of regular maintenance.  I just bought a 2015 for a DD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top