Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2020 1:02:22 PM EDT
So I have a small part of my retirement, about $200k, with an investment advisor. Its done Ok over the couple years hes had it but really nothing better than the market in general. In light of whats happening, obviously I cant sell now but fortunately I have 15-20 years to retirement. My question is should I be communicating more with him and he with me about whats going on and a real plan before shit hits the fan? Paying him a fee I feel I should get more than what I could do on my own. I absolutely could have both gained and lost approximately the same amounts on my own as what I have with him. My money is just all in an aggressive portfolio. He has never once called me and said, "hey, I suggest we move a portion to something more conservtive, blah, blah, blah". The talk of what the 3-4 Congressmen did, with all having no direct control over their investments but getting out at the right time tells me some advisors are much better than others, saw this coming and took action to protect their clients. Clearly mine did not. Should he have and given strong recommendation to pull back, sell or whatever? It just seems that mine just ebbs and flows without any strategy other than stay in and hope my retirement corresponds with a high point rather than a low point. When I was younger this was OK, as I get older it doesnt give me a warm fuzzy. All I get from him is a monthly statement and a recap of what the world already knows with a reminder that markets recover eventually and a bunch of monday morning quarterbacking from him.  Shouldnt an adviser do more?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
99% of FA would just tell you to leave it, even as it's tanking, because if you start to control your money, they will lose their commissions or fees. I pulled out, and it saved my ass, I'm just back to where I was in September. It's dropped considerably since I sold. A few moments, I did question my decision when it jumped back up for no reason, and then drained everyone for a 3rd and 4th time.

If you look at a lot of the large index funds out there, whether it be ETF or mutual fund, everyone is invested in the same shit for each respective category.

I personally don't think they're necessary, and I certainly wouldn't listen to someone with a smaller net worth, or makes less than I.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You're seeing the light.  Just invest.  Every month.  Forever.  

Timing the market,  advisors, none of that beats putting money in early and often.  

If your advisor could beat the market he wouldn't be working for you.  Who the f are you? Nobody,  just like me.  He's just a guy that needed a job and liked the market so he pursued it.

Advisors are for clueless (most) people.  If you have 8th grade reading comprehension (rare) and some common sense, you can do it on your own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top