Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 8:22:49 PM EDT
I have two boys 5 and 9 and my parents are working on ideas to pass on money.  I had a different topic on them trying to pass it on to me I have talked them out of the life insurance plan they had been looking in to but now they have told me they would like to fund a roth or traditional IRA for my boys.

At this point I have had a hard time finding much info on if they qualify for ether plan.  The roth requires earned income and at 5 and 9 it looks like they would have to file a schedule C and pay self employment tax on anything to make it roth eligible is this true.  could I do a traditional IRA for them with out showing income?  My parents will fund what ever I set up for them.

any thoughts or suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Set them up with a UTMA account. Once your kids reach a certain age the account will pass into their name and they can put it into an IRA or similar.

If you set up the UTMA with Vanguard or similar it can be used like a brokerage account. You could put the money in a lifecycle fund and forget it or you could try a more aggressive method.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless laws have changed, you need earned income to invest in an IRA.

You could probably set up a coverdell or 529 education plan.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I am specifically not looking for a 529 or some sort of account they can get a large chunk of cash at age 18.  I under stand they could liquidate a roth or ira but I think that is less likely.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Etrade allows for custodial Roth and regular IRA.  But the funds for it must come from earned income (a paid job).
If your family has a family business hire them to do some work just be aware of child labor laws.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am specifically not looking for a 529 or some sort of account they can get a large chunk of cash at age 18.  I under stand they could liquidate a roth or ira but I think that is less likely.
View Quote
Why less likely? Either can be liquidated with ease. With either they have full control at 18. Zero difference in that regard.

My employees cash out their ira plans every time they get enough money built up for a new tv or whatever.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]
5 is iffy. I hired my son at 12 for the family business and 100% of his earnings went to a Roth. I gave him cash equal to what he would have earned for his enjoyment as he was really working doing fairly difficult stuff.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm, if you are worried about your kids getting a chunk of cash when 18, than have your parents keep the the money in their own name. They can choose mutual funds / stocks / etf's that don't have a lot of dividends or capital gains distributions, keeping yearly taxes low.

When they want to, they can gift the shares directly to your kids, like when your kids have earned income, and the money can be put into an IRA. That way the grandparents are not on the hook for all the capital gains.  And if they hold the money until your kids are past say 22, it may look better on your kids FAFSA applications.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018/08/05/can-you-open-a-roth-ira-for-your-kids.aspx

The takeaway so far is that your child needs to earn income to make a contribution. However, it's important to emphasize that it doesn't necessarily need to be your child's money that is contributed -- in other words, as long as your child has enough earned income to justify it, there's no reason you can't make a Roth IRA contribution on your kid's behalf or match some of the money he or she contributes.
Here's an important point. One of the requirements, as mentioned, is earned income. But that does not mean your child necessarily needs to have formal employment. Self-employment income also qualifies, as long as it's reported to the IRS. (Note: If your child earns more than $400 from self-employment in 2018, he or she is legally required to file a tax return.)

For example, if your 14-year-old child earns $1,000 mowing lawns this summer, this income could be used as the basis for qualifying for IRA contributions. Other potential qualifying income sources are babysitting, or even chores you pay your kid for doing. (Note: I am not a tax professional. Be sure to consult one if you have any questions about what income qualifies for Roth contributions.)

One caveat is that by using self-employment income as a basis for qualification, your child may also have to pay self-employment tax on his or her reported income. Again, consult a tax professional to determine the potential tax implications of opening a Roth IRA for your child. Even if this is the case, the long-term benefits of Roth IRA investment at such a young age can more than offset this expense. And as I mentioned, if your kid earns more than $400 for the year, he or she should be reporting self-employment income anyway.
View Quote
http://natalimorris.com/blog/2015/09/29/why-my-3-year-old-has-a-roth-ira-and-why-yours-should-too/
Anyone can have an IRA as long as they have income. My children are paid small (emphasis on small) monthly paychecks out of our family’s LLC. They will report this income in taxes at the end of the year. This is a win/win for us for a few reasons:

That $25/month we pay each of them is $25 less that we do not pay taxes on at our higher tax rate. Our family is taxed on that $25 at their toddler-size tax rate. Score!
Since their IRAs are Roths, they will pay the taxes on them in the years that they contribute and then NEVER again. They will not be taxed on their withdrawal of what they invested nor on the money they earn on their investments. (Learn the difference between a Roth and a Traditional here.)
Note: You don’t have to have an LLC to pay your children. You can pay them out of pocket and 1099 them at the end of the year the way you do your babysitter, contractor, etc. Although in this post I try to convince you that you should incorporate in your family.
View Quote
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-new-tax-law-makes-hiring-your-kid-a-better-idea-than-ever-2018-06-04
Thanks to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), your employee-child can use his or her standard deduction to shelter up to $12,000 of 2018 wages paid by your business from the federal income tax. For 2017, the standard deduction was only $6,350, but the TCJA nearly doubled it. So under the new law, your child can shelter almost twice as much wage income with the increased standard deduction. That makes hiring your kid a better idea than ever.

Bottom Line: For 2018, your child will owe nothing to the Feds on the first $12,000 of wages, unless the kid has income from other sources. Your kid can then set aside some or all of the wages and contribute money to a Roth IRA (more on that later) or a college fund.
When you hire your child, you get a business tax deduction (for employee wage expense) for money you might have just shoveled out to the kid anyway. The deduction reduces your federal income tax bill, your self-employment tax bill (if applicable), and your state income tax bill (if applicable).
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about other brokerages, but TD Ameritrade allows you to setup a Roth for a minor.  I did that a few years ago.  Son will thank me later after I explain how his money grew tax-free.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Uniform Gift to Minor account.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top