Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2018 4:33:59 PM EDT
I've sold several firearms over the years on Gunbroker. Every firearm that I've sold, the buyer has always provided a copy of their dealer's FFL and I've shipped to that FFL. I do not have an FFL myself and I do not engage in the business of buying or selling guns.

I just sold a shotgun, and they buyer's FFL who is apparently a home-based FFL said he will not provide a copy of his FFL to anyone who is not an FFL themselves, and that actually the ATF prohibits him from doing so because of fraud or something.

In my own research, I'm not seeing anything saying I must see a copy of that FFL, however, the law clearly states, interstate firearms MUST be shipped to an FFL so...
1) without a copy of his FFL, I really can't be sure I am following the law, and
2) I am required by law to tell the common carrier it is a firearm, and they have usually (always?) asked to see a copy of the FFL I'm shipping to.

The easy answer is of course I just take the gun to someone I know who is an FFL and have them put it in their books and ship it, but I'd kind of like to know if anyone has an answer. Every firearm I have ever shipped the FFL has always sent me a copy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
He's full of it.
He doesn't need to give you a copy... he only needs to supply the parts of the number you need to verity him on ATF's Ez-Chek web page.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just read the rules on gunbroker this morning.

You can ship private to FFL.

Long guns can go usps, handguns must be ups/fedex overngh.

I would tell your buyer to pick another ffl.

You can fnd n yourself on gb if you have his zip
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Have the buyer find an FFL that will accept a firearm from a non-licensed party.

Call the FFL directly and ask him-her directly, what information they need from you (usually a copy of your DL).

Have the FFL give you the information you need to verify their license one the ATF website.

USPS the gun to the FFL (since it is a long gun).

Be happy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...I just sold a shotgun, and they buyer's FFL who is apparently a home-based FFL said he will not provide a copy of his FFL to anyone who is not an FFL themselves, and that actually the ATF prohibits him from doing so because of fraud or something.
View Quote

<----home based FFL/SOT
He's full of shit. No ATF regulation prohibits providing a copy of an FFL to a nonlicensee. ATF has stated that its not required when the shipment comes from a nonlicensee.

In my own research, I'm not seeing anything saying I must see a copy of that FFL, however, the law clearly states, interstate firearms MUST be shipped to an FFL so...
1) without a copy of his FFL, I really can't be sure I am following the law,  
View Quote

In that case he can provide you with the first three and last five numbers on his FFL. You then verify his license at ATF FFLeZCheck
Quite likely he'll want a copy of your drivers license so he can record the aquisition in his books (required by Federal law)

and
2) I am required by law to tell the common carrier it is a firearm, and they have usually (always?) asked to see a copy of the FFL I'm shipping to.
View Quote
Neither UPS or FedEx tariffs require that you show them a copy of the receiving dealers FFL.

The easy answer is of course I just take the gun to someone I know who is an FFL and have them put it in their books and ship it, but I'd kind of like to know if anyone has an answer. Every firearm I have ever shipped the FFL has always sent me a copy.
View Quote
No, the easy answer is box it up and mail it USPS. Anyone can mail rifles or shotguns.
Print and pay for your mailing label at USPS.com, then drop off at any US Post Office. I highly recommend Priority Mail with Adult Signature on Delivery.
You are not required to notify anyone at USPS that you are shipping a firearm. (Dealers only have to when shipping firearms other than rifles or shotguns)
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:03:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<----home based FFL/SOT
He's full of shit. No ATF regulation prohibits providing a copy of an FFL to a nonlicensee. ATF has stated that its not required when the shipment comes from a nonlicensee.
View Quote
When I was actively building my collection I had a copy of my FFLs license, signed and everything.
I would give it to an out of state FFL, then call my FFL to be on the lookout.

Never had any kind of problem.
Long guns, handguns, 'others.
John called me when it showed up.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just read the rules on gunbroker this morning.
View Quote
I have found wrong info in their rules so do not take them as gospel.

Many FFL's do not care to send copies of their licenses to non-licensees as there have been instances where those copies have been used by criminals and scammers to get their hands on firearms or cash that they do not deserve.  Ours was used once where a scammer pretended to be us, selling a transferrable MP5.  Even though there was no phone # in the ad, just an email address (not ours of course), a prospective buyer looked us up online and called us with questions so we managed to get the ad pulled pretty quickly and hopefully before anyone sent the scammer any money.

As stated above, use FFL EzCheck to verify the FFL's status.  Even FFL's use it because they've received scans of fake FFL's from scammers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:16:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Then tell him you will only ship to a brick and mortar
shop if he will not provide a copy.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then tell him you will only ship to a brick and mortar
shop if he will not provide a copy.
View Quote
Uh...…"brick & mortar shops" are the most likely to refuse to send a copy of their FFL to a nonlicensee.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me see if I can summarize this question.

ATF implemented EZ Check a number of years ago.

https://fflezcheck.atf.gov/fflezcheck/

ATF has requested that FFLs not distribute copies of their licences to non-licenses.

A non-licensee may mail (USPS) long guns interstate to an FFL.  That FFL will request a copy of your DL to accurately log the firearm into their bound-book.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ATF has requested that FFLs not distribute copies of their licences to non-licenses...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ATF has requested that FFLs not distribute copies of their licences to non-licenses...
Never has ATF said that:

FFL NEWSLETTER
November 2008
PROVIDING COPIES OF FEDERAL LICENSEES TO UNLICENSED PERSONS
A person not licensed under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), and not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm, in-state, if an arrangement is made with a Federal firearms licensee in the purchaser’s State of residence. A firearm may be transferred to the in-state licensee, who then completes the transfer to the unlicensed person, also completing the ATF Form 4473 and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) national Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) requirements.

Section 27 CFR 478.94 requires licensees to verify the identity and licensed status prior to transferring a firearm to a person who states they are licensed to receive it. “Verification shall be established by the transferee furnishing to the transferor a certified copy of the transferee’s license and by such other means as the transferor deems necessary…” This section does not apply to transfers between a licensee and an unlicensed person.
Licensees cannot use the EzCheck as a substitute for a copy of the FFL.
It simply means that a nonlicensee DOES NOT NEED a copy of the receiving dealers FFL, but an FFL shipping to an FFL does.

Being that a licensed dealers name, address and FFL# are easily found at atf.gov,List of FFL's the paranoia surrounding the FFL copy is silly. All that needs to be done is verify the receiving dealers FFL on eZCheck and ship the gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 3:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The OP needs to understand the difference between Interstate and Instate.

Interstate is between states.
As in across a state line.

Instate is withing a single state.
As in NOT crossing a state border.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The OP needs to understand the difference between Interstate and Instate.

Interstate is between states.
As in across a state line.

Instate is withing a single state.
As in NOT crossing a state border.
View Quote
Actually, the terms are:

Interstate
Intrastate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top