Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2021 9:12:53 AM EDT
For years I have been wondering what this watch might have been. I believe my dad said it was a Rolex. Unfortunately stolen from our childhood home in the 80s with his copper bracelet and few other things from VN. Pic was take late ‘66 - Cai Cai SF Camp in the Mekong Delta following a patrol.
Anyone have a idea what it might be?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
For years I have been wondering what this watch might have been. I believe my dad said it was a Rolex. Unfortunately stolen from our childhood home in the 80s with his copper bracelet and few other things from VN. Pic was take late ‘66 - Cai Cai SF Camp in the Mekong Delta following a patrol.
Anyone have a idea what it might be?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/112468/2027E5FE-F59F-4B17-B10A-17BC2E830C14_jpe-2091494.JPG
View Quote

My guess would be mid 1960s 1016 explorer on a stretched 6251 jubilee bracelet.

Edit-
Guys from the VN era recall paying about 180 for an explorer at PX mid 1960s, and 190 late 1960s, and 200 around 1970/71.
The date just ones did not have Lume, Subs were only 10-25 dollars more, depending on date or note,  but were more likely to be out of stock than explorers.
GMTs we’re about 25$ more than a date sub.

We used to think guys like him were old, 25 years after he went into the service.
Yet here we are 30-35 years after we went in.

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#2]
@ramairthree

You know it brother- so funny how old I thought he was as a kid and now it’s us! I remember seeing photos of him and thinking man, that old guy was a real badass back in the day.

He was 21 in this pic. Duck hunter cammies surplus from Marines WWII. Tigers were just coming into vogue. Flak vest with BAR belt - filled up with 20 round mags. One canteen. M26 “lemon” frag.  The M16 was one of a couple they rotated with all other weapons being WWII vintage.

No QRF coming to bail these guys out minus the local CIDG strike force.  Balls.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/15/2021 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn straight he was a badass.  

I only met him briefly twice.

I can imagine the huge grin in the sky he gets thinking of his sons getting it on like in Bn and SF like he did.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m hoping to get my uncle’s stainless 1680 he wore in Vietnam for my 50th birthday next year. He bought it in 1972 and was hinting that I will get it some day… Hoping that is next March!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn straight he was a badass.  

I only met him briefly twice.

I can imagine the huge grin in the sky he gets thinking of his sons getting it on like in Bn and SF like he did.
View Quote

My brother’s Ranger graduation was probably one of the best days of his life. Seems like it was yesterday but that was over 20 years ago!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#6]
@ramairthree - Super hard to tell, do you think it’s a white dial? I was thinking it was an Oyster Perpetual on a jubilee. Looks like no end links?
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:52:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought it was shadow over the end link, and white around the edge/angle of the crystal with a black dial.
I could be wrong.  
The level of detail we have to go on gives a couple of models it could have been.

Part of my guess is from what it might be based on shape, the likelihood he would have picked a luminous dial, what was popular with guys describing the era, and the propensity for jubilees of that era to unfold and make space between the main links.

Part of the coolness and badassery may just have to be the mystery.

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I need to look through a few other old photos I have but you are right, I remember him saying it was a PX purchase, I think overseas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top