Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
It'd be great to sleep through the night or to not hear anything for a short while sometimes
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hang in there. Sometimes it gets better. Mine was constant for 2.5 years and then I started noticing it wasn’t there. Now it only happens every so often. Usually just after I eat or drink.

Had an ear plug and ear muff not fully seated during a 3T MRI scan. Turns out it was around 130db and I was in there for almost an hour.  Fuckin miserable
View Quote

I've had mild tinnitus since I was young (mag dumped an AK, and did quite a bit of damage).  Since then, I've been extremely careful and religiously wear ear pro.

Then I had an MRI a year ago.  For those with damaged hearing, they can be very dangerous.  They're not just loud, they're loud for a really long time.  I ended up with hyperacusis and dramatically worse tinnitus.  

Thankfully the hyperacusis subsided after about 2 months.  That was probably worse than tinnitus.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Get your blood pressure checked.  

When my blood pressure is elevated, I'm stressed, sick, tired, mine is noticeably worse.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has become remarkably worse for me in the last month or two.   It's to the point that it starting to irritate me.

The ringing also pulses with my heartbeat.   Which is new in the last six months.

When my blood pressure is elevated, I'm stressed, sick, tired, mine is noticeably worse.

I've noticed this too.  I think blood pressure can be a big factor in how severe the tinnitus sounds.

I feel like I can reduce the noise somewhat.  If you can turn it down 25-50%, it's not so bad.  Sometimes it's so damn loud...well, I can understand OP's level of frustration.

Magnesium is one thing I'm using lately that I feel has a noticeable effect.  (I use magnesium glycinate...Mg oxide gives stomach/bowel evac issues, in my experience)

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/supplements-lower-blood-pressure

ETA: Someone mentioned avoiding sodium as well.  That would coincide with this theory, since sodium contributes to higher blood pressure.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had an acoustic neuroma, a tumor in my right ear. It was pressing against my brain stem and had to be removed before it damaged my brain. All of the internal parts of my ear were removed, all of the nerves were cut, and I am totally deaf in my right ear. Still have tinnitus in that ear. Tinnitus is in your brain, not in your ear.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/84774/BFDBDD22-D8E7-4E3D-BD29-CCA686E6A299_jpe-1792460.JPG
View Quote

Damn! Glad you lived to tell the tale!

For me the video was bittersweet:  Some super smart people are working on this and they are figuring it out. The ringing is in our brains, not our ears, and for most of us here in this thread there won't be a cure in our lifetime.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:I don't think about it unless I am in a silent room or threads like these pop up, then I instantly notice the eeeeeeeeeeee again for a while.
View Quote

Yup. Thanks GD.

You did it again!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

@sirgilbert357

Way to help him out by quoting it. Maybe edit your post
View Quote

@Rustler

Well, I removed what I said, but his comment remains. So...it's on him if he can't connect the dots. Guess he never came back to check on the thread.

Edit: Well, I sent him an IM urging discretion. It's dumb that we have to be so guarded that even jokes are a threat now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have to have a box fan next to my bed. Otherwise the ringing keeps me up all night. It’s been that way since I was a kid.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My mind tuned it out years ago, it’s still there, just on ignore.
View Quote

Mine comes and goes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Let me know when there is a treatment that works. Its terrible.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I came down with gout, nearly eliminated my alcohol consumption (a whisky or wine now and then instead of 6-12 beers a week) and reduced my caffeine intake (just coffee instead of coffee + energy drinks).

My tinnitus almost disappeared.  I googled it, and, apparently, both are a factor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:33:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine started 30 years ago after a black powder rifle blew up in my face. Was deaf for a month.  Hearing came back and the ringing stayed.  Now, I'm almost death in my right ear.  Can't hardly hear the people talking on the phone on my left.  I use one of those trucker type head sets for my phone.  Only way I can hear it well.  Looks stupid as fuck, but it works.  lol.

But as others have said, if it went away all of the sudden, what the fuck would we do???  

Edit to say, everyone thinks I'm yelling at them, lol.   I'm going to start handing cards out or get a t shirt printed....  I'm almost deaf, I have tinnitus, and when I cuss you out, I'm going to blame it on my make believe Tourette's
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Some sort of physical therapy (?) I'd ran across had me applying pressure on my temples, fingers reaching around to the back of my head, and with index fingers dropping off the middle fingers under pressure causing them to thump the base of my skull 40 or 50 times. This was late one night, the momentary relief of the ringing surprised me enough that I burst out laughing.
  It only lasted a few seconds, too much trouble for a repeat performance, but it was like a glimpse of heaven.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:00:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What?
View Quote

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fortunately I'd learned to use ear protection by the time I was old enough to buy handguns.

When I was a kid I shot a lot of 22 rifle and 22 pistol without ear pro, then...

On my 16th birthday my parents got me an 870 and some ear muffs, I still have the ear muffs. My mom was a nazi about me wearing them to shoot, good thing because I went through 3 big trash bags worth of shells before I turned 18.

In my life I've shot a few hundred medium power rifle (mostly from an SKS) and shotgun rounds (28" barrel) without ear pro, and maybe 50 rounds of pistol without ear protection.

I get a ringing a few times per year, for a few minutes, but I passed my last hearing test with flying colors.

My Grandfather was a Blue Devil 50 gunner in Italy, he was stone deaf when he died.

I enjoy music too much to destroy my hearing doing stupid stuff.

I never, ever wear ear protection when hunting, and I used to kill a few deer every year, plus rabbit sand squirl and ducks and geese, etc, etc.

It's funny how I never get a ringing after shooting an animal in a hunting situation.

Eventually I figured out I can consciously control the muscles inside my head/ear to keep from hurting my ears. It seems to be the same method ocean divers use to pop their ears.

I can feel it about 1/2 inch inside my ears, when I flex it makes a humming/whining sound, as long as I have my mouth open when I do it, it will keep my ears from getting much damage when I fire a shot.  

Somehow it naturally does it when I'm taking a shot in a hunting situation, I don't know how I do it by reflex, maybe something subconsciously learned, maybe a natural reflex.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've shot everything from .22 rifles to 9mm pistols and 7.62 SKS SBRs without ear pro. About 170 shots in total over the course of two or three years.

The 9mm pistol was minor ringing for two days. Went away. No issues at all after that.

.22 rifle, no ringing whatsoever. 12 gauge, no ringing whatsoever.

7.62 SKS SBR was nothing. Not even a minor ring. This one fucking boggles me.

Overall, I have minor tinnitus that comes and goes. It acts up bad if I'm in a completely silent room. Occasionally, I'll get minor ear pain in my left ear that lasts for a minute or two and then goes away for a few weeks. My left ear is unusually prone to ear infection. Unrelated, but I once had a tick latch into my left eardrum.

My left ear is the extremely good one.

Kids, wear ear pro. Don't be young and dumb, the old-timers here can tell you how much they regret not doing so.

Fortunately I'd learned to use ear protection by the time I was old enough to buy handguns.

When I was a kid I shot a lot of 22 rifle and 22 pistol without ear pro, then...

On my 16th birthday my parents got me an 870 and some ear muffs, I still have the ear muffs. My mom was a nazi about me wearing them to shoot, good thing because I went through 3 big trash bags worth of shells before I turned 18.

In my life I've shot a few hundred medium power rifle (mostly from an SKS) and shotgun rounds (28" barrel) without ear pro, and maybe 50 rounds of pistol without ear protection.

I get a ringing a few times per year, for a few minutes, but I passed my last hearing test with flying colors.

My Grandfather was a Blue Devil 50 gunner in Italy, he was stone deaf when he died.

I enjoy music too much to destroy my hearing doing stupid stuff.

I never, ever wear ear protection when hunting, and I used to kill a few deer every year, plus rabbit sand squirl and ducks and geese, etc, etc.

It's funny how I never get a ringing after shooting an animal in a hunting situation.

Eventually I figured out I can consciously control the muscles inside my head/ear to keep from hurting my ears. It seems to be the same method ocean divers use to pop their ears.

I can feel it about 1/2 inch inside my ears, when I flex it makes a humming/whining sound, as long as I have my mouth open when I do it, it will keep my ears from getting much damage when I fire a shot.  

Somehow it naturally does it when I'm taking a shot in a hunting situation, I don't know how I do it by reflex, maybe something subconsciously learned, maybe a natural reflex.

Yes, a small percentage (the lucky few) can subconsciously activate the stapedius reflex in anticipation of loud noises.

For most folks, the stapedius reflex occurs in response to loud noises. When it occurs as a response, it doesn't protect against sudden loud sounds (bangs and booms).

In a nutshell, the stapedius reflex is when the stapedius and tensor tympani muscles in the ear contract, and pull the 3 tiny bones out of alignment, that conduct vibrations from the eardrum to the cochlea. When they're pulled out of alignment the intensity of the vibrations conducted is far less than normal.

Most folks who've been around loud noises have heard the 'muffled, underwater hearing' afterwards. It can take a while for that muffled hearing to go away (anywhere from an hour to a few days, depending on the individual and the noise exposure). The muffled hearing is from the bones being out of alignment and not conducting the vibrations effectively. As the muscles gradually relax, the bones return to their proper alignment, and your hearing recovers.

I've had tinnitus ever since I shot a snubby .357 without ear pro when I was 12-13. Couldn't understand what anyone was saying for 2-3 days, then my hearing slowly recovered, but I was left with the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#16]
As if the ringing of tinnitus wasn't enough. I am one of the lucky ones that has Middle Ear Myoclonus.
MEM
Lovely thump, thump!!
Been going off the last couple of days.  I comes and goes, generally with long periods (months and month) of quite.  I hope it is not getting worse.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I only acquired it a few years ago.  Covered shooting range where my Leight's are usually adequate, but did not notice the guy next over was about to touch off a .44 mag.

My get by, for nights it keeps me up, is to stream those "10 hours of rain on a tin roof" type videos on Youtube. Lights out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to have a box fan next to my bed. Otherwise the ringing keeps me up all night. It’s been that way since I was a kid.

I only acquired it a few years ago.  Covered shooting range where my Leight's are usually adequate, but did not notice the guy next over was about to touch off a .44 mag.

My get by, for nights it keeps me up, is to stream those "10 hours of rain on a tin roof" type videos on Youtube. Lights out.

PSA for folks who use white noise generators/sources

This little thing is AWESOME
MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

I've always liked sleeping during heavy rain. This thing is so realistic, I've woken up and turned it off, only to realize that there actually was a real thunderstorm going on. Likewise, I've fallen asleep during an actual thunderstorm and forgotten to turn it on, only to wake up later because the thunderstorm had passed and the quiet woke me up.

There's a little button that can be pressed to increase the randomness of the sounds, from just constant rainfall, to changing wind levels, and thunder rumbling (no cracks, just distant rumbling), which helps train the brain to ignore small noises like someone heading to the kitchen for a drink of water/food, that would wake me up.

Best of all, it's portable. Can be run on batteries (although it eats batteries fast, as in one set of alkalines per night), but runs off a micro-USB port, so it can run for many days off a USB battery pack.

***P.S. DO NOT GET THE BIGGER SE MODEL.
Folks have had issues with those failing in under 12 months. I've had the Mini for 7+ years, using it every night, and it's still working great. I got the SE 2 years ago when there was a huge discount. It failed in about 7 months, and even worse, when it started to fail, it would randomly emit a really loud electronic 'fart' then shut off (for lack of a better term. A really loud BRRRRRAAAAAAPPP that woke me up with heart pounding).

At first, I thought there might have been some kind of power surge/brownout that caused it. Nope did it again a couple nights later, despite plugging it into a surge protector. No clocks were reset, so it wasn't some kind of power interruption. THEN I checked the reviews.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I am still in the thread. Had tinnitus for almost 60 years. As my hearing goes away, the tinnitus increases. Depending on the day, I have between 5-7 different tones happening. It has been slowly taking over my life the past 10 years or so.
Hearing aids do help somewhat, they amplify the ambient noise to help overcome the ringing. Some new technology has aids that produce white noise that will cancel out the ringing if you are lucky enough to have only one tone.
I have spent thousands over the years not covered by insurance to try and find a way to alleviate the noise. I would gladly let that guy drill holes in my head and attach electrodes to my brain if it would make it stop.
I hate going anywhere since covid, because Even with hearing aids I cannot understand people talking. The masks muffle their speech, and I cannot read their lips.
Removing caffeine, salt, and alcohol from your diet can help somewhat, and paying close attention to your diet will give you clues as to what other foods can increase it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I have had profound loss my entire life and here ringing all day everyday. I have to actually think about it to even notice it now. If it was gone and I was able to hear normally I would probably go insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shit. I was 17 when l learned not everybody had a ringing noise in their ears. I'm 61 now.

If l woke up tomorrow with out the ringing I'm sure l would go crazy.  Hell!  The sudden absence would likely wake me right up.

I have had profound loss my entire life and here ringing all day everyday. I have to actually think about it to even notice it now. If it was gone and I was able to hear normally I would probably go insane.

It would be like losing an old friend.  

Except it's not really a friend.  More like a nagging ex-wife.  And somehow we would adjust.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Reeeeeeeeeeee

Too much time on the flight deck or filming from vultures row.

I have the single tone ring that's stronger in one ear than the other and it never stops.

Normally the "control center" or whatever brain part the guy with the big brain was talking about lowers the volume of the reeee but it's always there. If I pay notice to it, like in this thread, the reeee comes to the forefront and I "hear" it. In awhile it will recede back into the normal volume.
View Quote

Pretty sure mine started on the flight line too, listening to F-15s play the sound of Freedom.  Then being entirely too close to the test firing of an m-61 20mm Gatling gun cannon. My civilian job exposed me to lots more flightline noise, F-4s, A-6s, KC-135s, B-52s, I’ve even been serenaded by Air Force One.  My lifelong hobbies of shooting and riding motorcycles hasn’t helped any either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It has become remarkably worse for me in the last month or two.   It's to the point that it starting to irritate me.

The ringing also pulses with my heartbeat.   Which is new in the last six months.

BP is normal at 110 systolic.

The wierd thing is that it is positional,  I can move my neck and it goes away.   I suspect It might be linked to TMJ.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Caffeine makes it worse
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top