Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2021 12:15:46 AM EST
Failed To Load Title

I hope they come up with something soon, and I would be happy to volunteer for any experimental treatments. Losing my hearing, and having it replaced by a symphony of noise is certainly something that kills quality of life. One of these days, I am going to clean my ears with a 147gr jhp.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:17:44 AM EST
In.....if it weren't for mind control tactics I would dive off of a bridge.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:22:23 AM EST
Shit. I was 17 when l learned not everybody had a ringing noise in their ears. I'm 61 now.

If l woke up tomorrow with out the ringing I'm sure l would go crazy.  Hell!  The sudden absence would likely wake me right up.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:24:21 AM EST
My mind tuned it out years ago, it’s still there, just on ignore.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:24:51 AM EST
I have to have a box fan next to my bed. Otherwise the ringing keeps me up all night. It’s been that way since I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:25:11 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In.....if it weren't for mind control tactics I would dive off of a bridge.
View Quote
I think it's interesting how it impacts different people differently.  I don't think about it unless I am in a silent room or threads like these pop up, then I instantly notice the eeeeeeeeeeee again for a while.  

It's annoying but, not super impactful on my every day life.  I wonder if your tinnitus is simply much worse than mine.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:26:18 AM EST
Quoted:
Shit. I was 17 when l learned not everybody had a ringing noise in their ears. I'm 61 now.

If l woke up tomorrow with out the ringing I'm sure l would go crazy.  Hell!  The sudden absence would likely wake me right up.
View Quote
I'm 35 and don't ever remember my ears not ringing.

The intensity comes and goes, life goes on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:29:09 AM EST
Mine changes tones briefly on occasion. Almost makes my head cock sideways. Weird.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:42:55 AM EST
What?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:44:35 AM EST
Quoted:
I have to have a box fan next to my bed. Otherwise the ringing keeps me up all night. It’s been that way since I was a kid.
View Quote

Sucks to sleep without.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:45:32 AM EST
Quoted:
What?
View Quote
  Huh?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:46:39 AM EST
Someone answer the damn phone!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:47:42 AM EST
I hear something between static (second sound he played) and a tone (third sound he played... sounded something like a phone modem connecting)

My mind seems to tune it out mostly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:48:26 AM EST
I’ve had it since I was born.

I’ll also probably be mostly deaf in a few more years. My hearing has continued to degrade even with proper ear protection. Just genetics. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Roll of the dice.

I’d give it a go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:49:39 AM EST
Chemo brought me here...
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:51:24 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:53:53 AM EST
Quoted:
View Quote

Some of us have it so bad there's no ignoring it.

When I take out my hearing aids it's the worst. Using a fan or some other type of noise to cover it is ineffective as I'm basically deaf without the hearing aids and can't hear the fan. It can be maddening at times.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:54:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:27:03 AM EST
I have had is since Ozzy Osbourne in concert in 1982. It sucks the most when I am hunting. It would be nice to hear what quiet is again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:36:48 AM EST
Quoted:

When I take out my hearing aids it's the worst. Using a fan or some other type of noise to cover it is ineffective as I'm basically deaf without the hearing aids and can't hear the fan. It can be maddening at times.
View Quote

How long have you been using the hearing aids and do they completely cover up the noise? I guess I should investigate before asking.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:41:34 AM EST
Quoted:
View Quote

It's like the hiss sound on cassette tapes. You just listen around it till you get to the point where the absence is more startling than it's being there.

Feel bad for you guys who have it really loud.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:45:18 AM EST
E club member checking in. I'll bet they find a cure about the time they find one for cancer. I have tried a bunch of treatments, none of which worked. Not sure if I will ever know silence again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:52:30 AM EST
I have it to a tiny extent I guess?  Background noise similar to a CRT TV on with no sound, right on the edge of the human sound spectrum, 18-20khz?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:07:36 AM EST
I've shot everything from .22 rifles to 9mm pistols and 7.62 SKS SBRs without ear pro. About 170 shots in total over the course of two or three years.

The 9mm pistol was minor ringing for two days. Went away. No issues at all after that.

.22 rifle, no ringing whatsoever. 12 gauge, no ringing whatsoever.

7.62 SKS SBR was nothing. Not even a minor ring. This one fucking boggles me.

Overall, I have minor tinnitus that comes and goes. It acts up bad if I'm in a completely silent room. Occasionally, I'll get minor ear pain in my left ear that lasts for a minute or two and then goes away for a few weeks. My left ear is unusually prone to ear infection. Unrelated, but I once had a tick latch into my left eardrum.

My left ear is the extremely good one.

Kids, wear ear pro. Don't be young and dumb, the old-timers here can tell you how much they regret not doing so.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:12:19 AM EST
"Stress can cause it to get worse."

Well then that explains why mine got worse in my left ear. Changed pitch and is constant instead of sporadic, and louder. Im going throug a lot of shit right now so I'm stressed as ever.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:17:18 AM EST
Quoted:

View Quote
I figured if I woke and the ringing was gone I'd be dead.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:17:34 AM EST
I’ve had the ‘nitus since coming back from Iraq back in 2006. It’s gotten to the point now that I forgot what true silence sounds like.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:21:13 AM EST
Quoted:
View Quote

For me it’s a radio, or a podcast or some kind of noise.  Cannot sleep a wink if it’s quiet, and that drives my wife crazy.

My tinnitus varies from a a constant moderately loud crickets that I have all the time.  To a sudden loud, almost electronic tone that will last anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:31:09 AM EST
Mine showed up within the last 5-8 years (40s), figured it was the result of punk rock shows, things that go bang, and surfers ear.  I was always pretty good about ear pro after the first few times I found the ringing made it difficult to sleep.  

Mine fluctuates and I noticed it is correlated with high pressure weather systems (I get a headache too as they move in) and allergies.  In fact raging tinnitus was the first symptom of a bad reaction to a moldy office.  So for those that have variation, look into other things.  Keeping a journal helped me figure out the origin of the mold.  Fortunately at this point mine isn't too bad but I have to keep my amp really low when I play guitar.  No 11 for me!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 2:53:06 AM EST
I'm 61 and don't remember not hearing screaming crickets in my head. Sometimes, it's a bit overwhelming..
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:19:12 AM EST
Quoted:
View Quote

this

I am so used to it - it no longer bothers me

oh and a few drinks before bed time are also not a bad remedy

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:22:14 AM EST
Had it since I can remember. I used to think everyone's ears had ringing until I learned about tinnitus in highschool.

Only thing that bothers me some is a snow covered, no breeze, winter night. Absolutely quiet scenario. All I can hear in ringing especially with hats and hoods on my head.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:27:18 AM EST
The ringing has been louder than normal today.  Usually I just hear the faint sound of a radio station playing in my head.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:28:51 AM EST
Quoted:

How long have you been using the hearing aids and do they completely cover up the noise? I guess I should investigate before asking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 10ish years or so.

They used to really help make the tinnitus fade away, but the last few years not as much, but it’s still much less noticeable with them in then out most of the time.

Get an audio gram. If you need hearing aids get them, your quality of life will be improved.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:33:25 AM EST
I always have background noise and sleep with white noise.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:54:20 AM EST
I'm able to ignore it. I consider myself fortunate that I don't have it that bad. I now wear hearing protection any time I do anything that involves noise that can further damage my hearing. When I was young few people used hearing protection. You'd never see anyone with it when using a lawnmower, now it's common to see it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:09:33 AM EST
I didn't notice my eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee until I read this thread.  Thanks OP, it will take all day for me to shut it back out.

I got mine when I was a kid and didn't know better, now there is nothing I can do about it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:22:55 AM EST
I'm at a 4 right now. It varies between 4 and 7. The noise around me and what I eat has a lot to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:23:44 AM EST
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 52 and I've had it as long as I can remember.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:35:30 AM EST
Quoted:
What?
View Quote

Too many boom booms
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:07:48 AM EST
Mine is bad.  I have a lot of hearing loss in my left hear.  Right ear is less.  I should have hearing aides.  I mostly don't notice it until I see a Tinnitus thread on Arfcom, or if it changes pitch for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:11:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:12:51 AM EST
I have no memory of silence.  Always been a ring for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:09:56 PM EST
Factory worker for the last 42 years.
It comes and goes, only in my left ear.

Some days if is incredibly quiet, like falling snow.

Other days, like a Cicada.

The cicadas are visiting more and more
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:16:47 PM EST
Quoted:

Huh?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?

Huh?

What?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:21:48 PM EST
It’s ok if I don’t think about it.  When I read about it it seems to get louder.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:21:56 PM EST
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^This^^^
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:23:41 PM EST
Quoted:
View Quote

This, until some GD asshat posts EEEEEEEEEE!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:24:42 PM EST
I try to ignore it till I see these posts  Then it's driving me crazy for a while again eeeeeeeee....
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:25:03 PM EST
Quoted:
I didn't notice my eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee until I read this thread.  Thanks OP, it will take all day for me to shut it back out.

I got mine when I was a kid and didn't know better, now there is nothing I can do about it.
View Quote

Ha! Same.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:28:15 PM EST
Mine has never stopped ringing since a jerk off cranked off about 100 rounds of 50BMG out of a MaDeuce over my head.  I use white noise and music to drown it out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top