Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2021 11:06:45 AM EDT
I know this area is more for home theater stuff, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Does anyone have any recommendations for an integrated amp for a stereo setup? I want a decent stereo setup for a small room (approximately 13' x12' ). I have no interest in a surround sound system. I'm considering the following amps:

-- Marantz PM7000N
-- Marantz PM6007
-- Cambridge Audio CXA61 (or CXA81, but that might be a bit overkill for a small room I think)
-- Cambridge Audio AXA35

I'm not stuck on just Marantz or Cambridge Audio, but I really don't know much about stereo stuff. I'm open to suggestions, though (no, I'm not going to buy McIntosh). I'd like to keep the cost of the amp under $1500, preferably around $1000. I rarely ever watch tv or movies, but I almost always have music playing.

I'll be adding a CD player. Eventually, I may add a turntable, but I'm undecided about that. I can always add a phono preamp if I do go that route.

I'll probably connect it to a set of Klipsch RP 500M bookshelf speakers on stands. I would go with the RP 600M's, but I think they'd be too much for such a small room. I won't be blasting it anyway. I want quality of sound not quantity of sound. Other suggestions, $600 or less, are also welcome (Elac, Wharfedale, KEF, etc).

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The amps you mention are great choices. I'm partial to the Outlaw Audio 2160 MK II which is a beast and maybe a little more power than you need for that room. That being said, it is considered a receiver and has Internet radio capability and wifi, no bluetooth.

I'm not up on smaller bookshelf style speakers but I've been impressed with the KEF LS50. A bit out of your price range though but if you could ever audition a set you should.

If youre set on a adding a CD player and phono, the amps you mentioned as Ive said are good choices. If you dont see the CD or phono in your future, you could always get a powered set of speakers with wifi capability and just stream from your phone or tablet or other device using a service such as Spotify, etc. BTW - the LS50 makes a powered set as well as passive.

Check out accessories4less.com for great deals and closeouts too.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered the RP600M's since they were on sale for 40% off - $377 was too good to pass up. I may regret that decision since they're so big. I did consider the KEF LS50's, and I may look into them if I don't like the way these Klipsch speakers sound. I don't mind spending more, but I don't have anywhere within a reasonable distance to listen to a set. The perks of living in the middle of nowhere is that my local options are limited to Walmart.

As for amps, I ordered the Cambridge Audio CXA61, but it's just too big for where I wanted to put it, so it's going back Monday. As it turns out, most amps I've considered are too big for where I want to put one, so I'm giving the NAD D 3045 a shot. I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with it. If that doesn't work, I'll look into the Sprout 100. I really don't need a lot. I just tend to overdo things a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top