Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/29/2019 6:41:24 PM EDT
We just got one of these marvels of technology and they are awesome.

You experienced users...

What's your go-to recipes for lunches and dinner?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#1]
In!! My wife thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread. We’ve had ours since Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the arfettes has an instant pot youtube channel. Can't remember the username.

Found it. @MRSRugerlvr
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ7wBRenlPumRCrAArtjlXQ/videos
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Pulled chicken that I do most weeks as dinner over some black-beans and rice:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/instant-pot-pulled-chicken-5257623

For colder weather hearty meal type dishes, we rotate amongst these and whatever we feel like trying new:
https://detoxinista.com/instant-pot-red-lentil-kale-curry/
https://www.veganricha.com/2017/08/instant-pot-aloo-gobi-curried-potato-cauliflower.html
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/263038/instant-pot-vegan-vegetable-and-barley-soup/ (we use half the broth for this one)

Been wanting to try some desert dishes and these are the first couple I think we'll try:
https://awefilledhomemaker.com/grandmas-instant-pot-pound-cake/
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a57879/instant-pot-cheesecake-recipe/
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#4]
i don't like mine anymore
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Heard the buzz but don't know anything about it

Is it different than a crock pot? Is it a pressure cooker?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Got an 8qt model for Christmas.  Pressure cooking rocks!  Made some kick ass country style steak (cubed steak) and gravy.  Cooked a whole FROZEN chicken in 45 min.  Pork chops in 20 min.

This thing really works.  Plenty of recipes on their website.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It is a no-muss, no-fuss electric pressure cooker. Since most people have really never used or appreciated a pressure cooker, this thing is a revelation for a lot of people.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes, think crockpot on steroids or pressure cooker for the 2019

What takes hours in a Crock-Pot takes minutes in the instant pot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Cooking ribs for 25 minuted under pressure and 15 minutes release beats the crap out of babysitting a smoker when you have things to do.

Throw em in the broiler for a few minutes to brown and they're pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody done a pork tenderloin in one?
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?
i don't like the taste of crockpot chicken anymore - it's cool for soups and searing though
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anybody done a pork tenderloin in one?
View Quote
No reason to. Pressure cooking is good for speeding slow things up, like long braises for fatty meats or dried beans. Tenderloin doesn't take long to cook, so there's no benefit to pressure cooking it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Did smothered pork chops on Sunday. No knife needed and 25 minutes pressure cook time.   4 minute rice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/On-the-fence-about-Instant-Pot-/163-2146132/

Stupidly simple yet decadent dessert, just 2 ingredients:
https://myheartbeets.com/2-ingredient-cheesecake-instant-pot-indian-cheesecake/

I've been using Chobani low sugar 2% milkfat strawberry, raspberry, or vanilla yogurt for it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Try Chile verde with a pork roast, diced tomatillos, onion, garlic.  Almost perfection.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#18]
We just got ours at Christmas and love it. Use it for steaming vegetables quite often. Love the sauté mode that you can then flip into a pressure cook scenario. I don't have a particular favorite dish but chances are I will be using it tonight on some marinated chicken
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I just made this one this past week.  My wife was impressed.  I usually cook, but she was raving about how this one hit the spot.  Served with garlic mashed potatoes:
https://www.thekitchn.com/instant-pot-pork-chops-257222

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like to make a beef pot roast with root vegetables.
Decent chuck or rib roast.
Lipton Onion Soup Mix
Worcestershire Sauce
Salt
Fresh ground pepper
Olive oil
Beef Broth (water works OK, too)
Peel and rough chop:
1-2 each: Rutabagas, turnips, parsnip, celery, carrots
Yellow or whiie onion, peeled, rough chop. (maybe cut into 8ths)

Olive oil: drizzle into the pot, swirl to coat the bottom and up the sides about 2-3 inches.
Heat on Sautee until barely smoking.
Drop in the roast and let sit for a few minutes, then turn and brown another few minutes until all sides are browned.
sprinkle the onion soup mix over the roast
add the vegetables to the pot, add in a cup of broth or water (or red wine if you prefer)
Hit a good couple of grinds of salt and pepper, and a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, to your taste.
Hit the beef / roast button and place on the lid with the valve closed.
when it beeps (50 minutes cook time, IIRC), I let it sit another 10 minutes or so, then vent.
Enjoy
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
just got one but overcooking everything, because I cannot find accurate per pound cooking times for frozen stuff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one NIB since last summer ( what the hell am I waiting for )
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:17:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No reason to. Pressure cooking is good for speeding slow things up, like long braises for fatty meats or dried beans. Tenderloin doesn't take long to cook, so there's no benefit to pressure cooking it.
View Quote
There is if you want to shred it, and make pulled pork.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I've made all kinds of good stuff.
Bourbon chicken is fucking awesome.

Instant Pot Bourbon Chicken
Ingredients:
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-size pieces, lightly seasoned with a few sprinkles of seasoned salt or salt & pepper
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tbsp of sesame oil
1 tbsp of salted butter
1 tbsp of crushed or minced garlic
1/4 cup of bourbon (you can use apple juice if you don't want to use bourbon. But y tho?)
1/3 cup of chicken broth
2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of ketchup
2 tbsp of hoisin sauce
2 tbsp of honey
2 tbsp of a cornstarch slurry (2 tbsp of cornstarch + 2 tbsp of water)
1 tsp of Gravy Master (optional, for color)

Directions:

Add the oil and butter to the pot and hit "Saute" and adjust so it's on the "More" setting and allow it to heat up for a few minutes
Once the oil's heated and the butter's melted, add the seasoned chicken and saut for 2 minutes until pinkish-white in color (it should NOT be fully cooked in this stage)
Next, add in the bourbon and garlic and stir. Allow it to simmer for another minute so some of the alcohol burns off
Lastly, add in the broth, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce and light brown sugar. Stir well, secure the lid, hit "Keep Warm/Cancel" and then hit "Manual" and cook for 4 minutes. Quick release when done
When the lid comes off, stir in the ketchup, hoisin sauce and honey until well combined
Finally, hit "Keep Warm/Cancel" and then hit  "Saut" and adjust so it's on the "More" setting. Once it begins to bubble, stir in the cornstarch slurry, allow to bubble for 1 minute while stirring and then turn the pot off and the sauce will have thickened up perfectly. Stir in the Gravy Master if using. Serve over rice or noodles if desired.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In!! My wife thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread. We’ve had ours since Christmas.
View Quote
Same.

We were both thinking it might just be a gimmick but I found a good deal on the 8qt one so I figured what the hell.

She LOVES it. Uses it at least 3 or 4 times a week. Makes awesome mac and cheese. Rice. Did a whole chicken in 25 minutes and it was tender, juicy, perfect.

We're impressed. It is not a gimmick.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Placeholder for Instant Pot carnitas recipe for when I get out of the ER.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:21:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm still experimenting with mine.  I replaced the stainless steel pot with the non stick.  I was having a problem with noodles stuck hard on the steel pot.  I did make some great beef stroganoff.  Noodles, dry sherry, sour cream, mushrooms, onion, garlic clove, corn starch and stew beef.  I cooked the meat in saute mode, and pressure cooked the rest.  Don't have the complete recipe in front of me, this is the best I can do from memeory
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
just got one but overcooking everything, because I cannot find accurate per pound cooking times for frozen stuff.
View Quote
BTDT.

There's a learning curve. IIRC thawed whole chicken worked out to like 5 min/lb and the book said 8.

I'll have the wife post when she has a chance.

Another poster mentioned the saute/pressure. Yes, oh yeah.

We are rarely impressed with a kitchen gadget. These things rock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Mac and Cheese

6 cups of water
1 package of Annie's Macaroni and Cheese
1/4 cup of margarine
1/4 cup of milk
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It is a no-muss, no-fuss electric pressure cooker. Since most people have really never used or appreciated a pressure cooker, this thing is a revelation for a lot of people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plus a pressure cooker = bomb and that scares people.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Mac and Cheese

6 cups of water
1 package of Annie's Macaroni and Cheese
1/4 cup of margarine
1/4 cup of milk
View Quote
One of the things I tried is use chicken or vegetable stock in place of water.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#32]
We got one yesterday from Amazon. We made red beans and rice last night. Took about 45 minutes with dry (unsoaked) beans. Pretty dang cool.

It’s just a pressure cooker with convenient automated controls.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#33]
This is also an awesome recipe.

Instant Pot Beer Can Chicken
Ingredients
5-6 pound whole fresh chicken
1 (12oz) can of beer
4 Tablespoons butter, cut into tabs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 small onion
2 stalks of celery
1 cup water

Directions:
1. Rinse chicken, pat dry. Carefully place butter tabs under the skin. In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, celery salt, and garlic powder.
2. Rub seasonings all over the chicken.
2. Cut vegetables into large, bite sided chunks and place in the bottom pot with 1 cup water. Open beer and place inside your Instant pot, in the middle of the vegetables.
3. Place the chicken inside the pot on resting on top of the beer can. No trivet needed. Place your Instant Pot on manual high pressure for 30 minutes. Do a natural release for 20 minutes. (If your pot can't hold the beer can and upright chicken, place chicken flat on trivet and pour the beer into the chicken cavity and bottom of pot with the water.)
4. Carefully remove the chicken (it will be falling off the bone tender) and place on a baking sheet. baste with a bit of melted butter. Place under broiler for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the skin.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I never bought one, and I never will. I grew up using a pressure cooker, and even got one from my folks as a housewarming present when the misses and I bought our first house.

I honestly don't understand why they exist, when a pressure cooker on a proper range is so much better. The heating element on them is weak sauce (there's only so much you can do with a 120V 15A circuit) and...I dunno. It just seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Pork Carnita recipe

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/instant-pot-crispy-carnitas/
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Baked potatoes are awesome in 20 minutes.

Asian beef and broccoli is also really good. Do yourself a favor and have the sammich maker or you get a Pinterest account. The recipes are endless.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Lol, that reminds me of the time my grama's pressure cooker detonated. She must not have had the lid locked on right.

It was lucky that nobody got knocked silly. Beans everywhere.

I don't know if it would work in the kind you guys are talking about, but she makes this dish that's kind of like carnitas.

She would take pork roast, season it, sear it on a pan. And instead of using water, she'd use chicken broth to cook it in.

It's really good, and makes killer tacos, and burritos.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Made a few of these around Christmas. Big hit.

Instant Pot Rum Cake
Ingredients

RUM CAKE:
1 cups Bakers Flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4  cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix, dry
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/4 cup  rum.
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon butter rum flavor
1/8 cup flour, for dusting baking pan

RUM SOAKING SYRUP:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/8 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup rum
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Spritz your small 6"-7" Bundt pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle on the flour and turn the pan to coat evenly. Set aside.
Place all of the cake ingredients except the rum, vanilla and butter rum flavoring in a large bowl. Use electric mixer to blend on medium speed for 2 minutes. Be sure to scrape down the bowl after one minute.
Add the rum, vanilla and butter rum flavor to the batter and blend for another minute. Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan and spread level with a spatula.
Place batter into your small sprayed bunt pan and wrap a paper towel over the top followed by foil just like you would with cheese cake. Make sure you place one cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
Set your Instant Pot to manual for 35 minutes.
In a medium-sized saucepan combine the syrup ingredients, except vanilla.
Bring to a rapid boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, until the syrup thickens slightly.
Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
Use a long skewer to poke holes all over the cake bottom.
Pour about 1/4 of the syrup over the cake (still in the pan). Allow the syrup to soak in, then repeat again and again until all the syrup is used.
Let cool.

Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and allow the cake to sit out overnight to cool completely and soak in the syrup.
When ready to serve, loosen the edges of the cake and invert on to your serving plate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
It made the best spaghetti sauce I've ever made. It works better for rice than our rice cooker ever did. We got one at Christmas and I've been throwing everything at it. There are definitely things it does better and some it does not.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Tag for receipies.
We have the Ninja Foodi version that air fry's as well.
Pressure cook a chicken then use the air fry lid to crisp the skin in the same pot.
Nifty little gadget
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I never bought one, and I never will. I grew up using a pressure cooker, and even got one from my folks as a housewarming present when the misses and I bought our first house.

I honestly don't understand why they exist, when a pressure cooker on a proper range is so much better. The heating element on them is weak sauce (there's only so much you can do with a 120V 15A circuit) and...I dunno. It just seems like a solution in search of a problem.
View Quote
I own and use real pressure cookers as well as pressure canners.

The insta pot is more convenient and has more control. Try one before you dismiss them out of hand.

I had the same opinion as you...just another space waster that I don't need. That's just not the case, as it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Cold as hell here so I made this today.

Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup

4 cups chicken stock or broth (or 4 cups water and 4 chicken bouillon cubes)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
chicken or pork
1 tbsp oil for meat browning
1/2 cup dried Shitake mushrooms (rehydrated) julienned
1/2 cup dried Black Wood Ear mushrooms (rehydrated) julienned
1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce (sambal)
Thinly sliced fresh red chili (Optional, for more heat.)
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar or 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar.
canned bamboo shoots, julienned
canned water chestnuts, julienned
dash of sesame oil
block of firm tofu, cut into 1/4 inch dice
2 tablespoons cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water
1 egg, beaten

Instructions:
Cut chicken or pork into strips and marinate with 1 tsp cornstarch, 1 tsp soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp oil for 15 min.
Add oil and Brown chicken or pork in instant pot on saute'
Add ALL the ingredients to the Instant Pot EXCEPT for the egg, tofu, and cornstarch slurry (those three come later).
Secure the lid, hit "Manual" for 5 minutes (it will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure) Quick release when done.
Once the lid is removed, hit "Saut" and Adjust so it's on the "More" setting.  Once it begins to boil, add the cornstarch slurry, stir well for about 2 minutes and then turn the Instant Pot to "Keep Warm"
Lastly, add in the cubed tofu then drizzle in the egg mixture while stirring for about a minute until egg ribbons form.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can take the Instant Pot to pot luck events a lot more easily than you can a pressure cooker.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#45]
so far weve made beef stew and ham and split pea soup with good results.

tried to make baked potato soup but the cream base burned and wouldnt take the heat at the speed the pot wanted to.  had to put it on the stove top.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You can take the Instant Pot to pot luck events a lot more easily than you can a pressure cooker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an induction plate/burner for pot lock events...
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The insta pot is more convenient and has more control. Try one before you dismiss them out of hand.

I had the same opinion as you...just another space waster that I don't need. That's just not the case, as it turns out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't understand how it's more convenient or has more control.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#48]
nvm
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:29:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I make rice all the time. Fried rice comes pretty good. I like to make a whole chicken too, but I sautée it first so the skin will have a bit of color. Stew comes out great.

Love mine, I haven’t use the stove in forever.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Frittata

Sauté mode, medium heat.

1lb roll Jimmy Dean County Mild Sausage.  Fry untill well done and in crumbles. Leave in pot with grease.

Add 1 can diced potatoes, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper.  Fry together until done.

Beat 1 dozen eggs in a bowl until uniform in consistency.

Add 1 table spoon of Mortons all season

Add ground black pepper to taste.

Add 2 table spoons of milk.

Beat together.

Add to pot and stir in.

Allow to cook until egg is solid up top. Add 1lb mixed shredded cheese blend of choice.

Serve with chunky salsa on the side.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top