Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2018 3:18:11 PM EDT
I have two fireplaces in the house. I decided it would be nice to have a gas insert in one of them for a simple fire at times. The issue I've run into is it has two 3" lines for in and out. My chimney has a 6" liner in it. How do I make this work? can I change the intake to a two inch line? Any advise would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Aren't they a single double walled line? Exhaust in middle and supply on outside?
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ventless gas logs.

Keep flu closed. Exhaust is mostly H2O by a huge margin.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ventless gas logs.

Keep flu closed. Exhaust is mostly H2O by a huge margin.
View Quote
Right up till it gets dirty enough to make CO and kill you.

The excess moisture is also not all that good four your exterior walls.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I already have the insert. It has two 3" holes. One is intake, one is the vent. I like the idea of running the vent up the middle, but won't I need to have some sort if attachment for the intake to connect to the 6" chimney that's already there?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I already have the insert. It has two 3" holes. One is intake, one is the vent. I like the idea of running the vent up the middle, but won't I need to have some sort if attachment for the intake to connect to the 6" chimney that's already there?
View Quote
The intake usually cannot draw all that far.

A very few feet is common.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My chimney is about 40 foot tall. So when you say it can only draw a few feet you mean running a line up there wouldn't work? So should I just run exhaust and that's it? Just leave the intake as is? Is it ok to cap it at the top, will that restrict it too much?

I looked at the companies instructions (Real Fyre). They say not the install using the "Short stack" method. It sounds like that's what your talking about. They say to run both 3" lines up. Well two 3" lines aren't going to fit up the existing 6" chimney. I'm not sure for the reasoning in them saying not to do it but it sounds like it might be my best option.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My chimney is about 40 foot tall. So when you say it can only draw a few feet you mean running a line up there wouldn't work? So should I just run exhaust and that's it? Just leave the intake as is? Is it ok to cap it at the top, will that restrict it too much?

I looked at the companies instructions (Real Fyre). They say not the install using the "Short stack" method. It sounds like that's what your talking about. They say to run both 3" lines up. Well two 3" lines aren't going to fit up the existing 6" chimney. I'm not sure for the reasoning in them saying not to do it but it sounds like it might be my best option.
View Quote
Put the intake out the back of the firebox.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Direct vent? No coaxial line available with an adapter?

Huh, looks like the coaxial pipes are all over 6".
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The intake is on the back top. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

It is a direct vent. I'm not sure what a coaxial is.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cut a hole through the back of the existing fireplace to outside.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I got it. That wouldn't work here. Our chimney in in the center of the house.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Please post the make and model of your insert, or a link to installation instructions.

If possible, a picture of your existing fireplace and/or floor plan would help too.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#13]
2 3” pipes will probably work fine in a 6” chimney. Stacked diagonally in each opposing corner vs side by side. There is room. Find two short pieces of 3” pipe at home depot. Either draw out your vent on a piece of cardboard and set them up like described, or go up on the roof and insert them a few inches into the chimney, to see for yourself. You should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
2 3” pipes will probably work fine in a 6” chimney. Stacked diagonally in each opposing corner vs side by side. There is room. Find two short pieces of 3” pipe at home depot. Either draw out your vent on a piece of cardboard and set them up like described, or go up on the roof and insert them a few inches into the chimney, to see for yourself. You should be fine.
View Quote
Yeah, that's the other thing I was thinking. That flexible pipe is pretty squishy too. I don't guess it be too much of an issue if they didnt have clearance between them...

Coaxial vents have an inner pipe and an outer pipe. You can google it. I'm not sure if it'd work for a 40' run tho. I know it was an option when I put mine in, Napolean direct vent.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:39:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Good lord some responses are idiotic here.

Both 3" liners need to run the length of the chimney to an adapter at the top of the chimney (co-ln 923GK )  then a direct vent cap on top.   If there is a 6" liner from say an old wood insert (stainless) then that needs to be pulled out.  If it is a terracotta liner (clay) that stays because it's not going to come out, no matter what!  Then the 2 each  3" liners are dropped down to the insert..  Avoid vent free at all cost. And a gas log set is garbage..   End of story..
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Had my wood burning insert (20+ yo contractor grade) cleaned last year and got an estimate for a new gas log system installed.   Dear god, $10,000 and they have to tear out the wood work in front of and above the fireplace to run the new stacks inside the stick built chimney.   Told him I can buy a lot of firewood with that $10K.  Not to mention it works much better now that it has been properly cleaned.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a 2015 Real Fyre IPI direct vent 30". The chimney is in the center of the house. One side is my wood stove. The other side is going to be the insert. I think my measurement is a bit off. I think the chimney is closer to 30 or 35 foot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good lord some responses are idiotic here.

Both 3" liners need to run the length of the chimney to an adapter at the top of the chimney (co-ln 923GK )  then a direct vent cap on top.   If there is a 6" liner from say an old wood insert (stainless) then that needs to be pulled out.  If it is a terracotta liner (clay) that stays because it's not going to come out, no matter what!  Then the 2 each  3" liners are dropped down to the insert..  Avoid vent free at all cost. And a gas log set is garbage..   End of story..
View Quote
The liner in that chimney is steel. It's an older one that's riveted in. Does it really make a difference if that comes out?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#19]
You have one chimney for two appliances? Ain’t gonna work my man. Either choose to run the wood stove, or choose to run the gas appliance, no room for both in one chimney from what i think you are describing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You have one chimney for two appliances? Ain’t gonna work my man. Either choose to run the wood stove, or choose to run the gas appliance, no room for both in one chimney from what i think you are describing.
View Quote
No, they are separate. The wood burner has an 8" insulated liner. The other is 6". That's the one I'm trying to run the Real Fyre through.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top