Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 10:27:19 PM EDT
don't know if i'm getting anything, but it's a possibility;

what are the tax implications?  do i just report it as "other" income
on my joint filing this year? no guess on the amount, but probably not 6 figures

Live in Tx, both us work (around $180.000 combined), only have house mortgage
& two kids starting college next year

thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't pay anything, the estate pays the tax (if any).  No reporting on your returns.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
talk to a CPA.  If the person is not dead yet anything they transfer to you while alive is not taxed at the inheritance tax rate so plan ahead with a CPA or tax attorney
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't pay anything, the estate pays the tax (if any).  No reporting on your returns.
View Quote
Best to not offer advice if you don't know the law chief.

Most $'s received will be tax free to you.  Funds in tax advantaged accounts (I/E 401k/IRA) will be taxable but you can spread out over time.  Time depends on the age of the deceased.
That's the quick answer w/out seeing any info.  Suggest you talk with your tax professional to be sure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Assuming the inheritance is due to death, it's tax free up to the limit. If you're inheriting a tax deferred retirement account, you have two options. Take the RMDs over your expected lifetime(IRS has a chart for this), or if you miss that window, you have five years to fully distribute the account.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
talk to a CPA.  If the person is not dead yet anything they transfer to you while alive is not taxed at the inheritance tax rate so plan ahead with a CPA or tax attorney
View Quote
This situation falls under gift tax and the lifetime gift tax exemption. Again, best to speak with a CPA
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:14:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Has to be over $5.43Mil to be taxed is the simple answer...

Talk to a Tax Attorney is the best answer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top